Pest Control/Questions Answered by Expert Matthew Grady

SubjectDate Asked
Noises in the Attic10/6/2013
  Q: We live in a wooded townhouse complex in Surrey, BC. Previously our neighbour below was feeding ...
  A: Assuming the problem is squirrels: If you still have the problem then there is still an opening ...
Bats in the garage11/12/2012
  Q: What we originally thought was mouse/rat droppings turns out to be bat poop. (Although, I'd never ...
  A: The only way to permanently solve a bat infestation at any structure is to eliminate all ...
Chipmunks8/26/2012
  Q: We have identified droppings on our porch as coming from a chipmunk. Everyday, we come home to ...
  A: If I'm picturing your situation correctly I think you have mis-identified the droppings. Look ...
bats (or chimney swifts) in chimney8/2/2012
  Q: I am quite certain that we have bats, not chimney swifts, roosting in our very tall chimney right ...
  A: Everything you've described sounds like chimney swifts. Swifts are much louder than bats in a ...
Raccoons5/6/2011
  Q: unfortunately think I have some raccoons breeding under my deck....I put up 2x4s against the lower ...
  A: Dan Trying to block their access point is NOT a good idea. It is a female raccoons with pups under ...
squirrel burrowing in tree4/9/2011
  Q: We have seen squirrels coming out of our large tree in the backyard. When we looked, there is a ...
  A: Mark Squirrels living in a tree is as natural as the wind blowing or the rain falling. I suggest ...
bats1/18/2011
  Q: We have lived in this home for a little over a year now. I knew there were bats in the big older ...
  A: Landon Do you really want to ignite a "bug bomb" to release toxic pesticides inside your house? I ...
BATS in the attic12/26/2010
  Q: I'm quite sure I have a bat problem. Around 10:p.m. - 10:p.m., I can hear restless activity in the ...
  A: Sorry for the delay. I have been away for the holiday. I would recommend getting a second opinion ...
Squirrie eating car wire12/9/2010
  Q: squirrel are eating my car wire. Is there anything that I can do?
  A: Marguerite You could try setting squirrel traps around the car in an attempt to remove the ...
squirrel in my ceiling7/26/2010
  Q: I have a two story house in Dallas,TX. The squirrel is in my CEILING. Not the attic. There is a ...
  A: You can either hire a pro or do it yourself. I'm going to assume that you want to do it yourself. ...
Scratching sounds in the attic7/19/2010
  Q: I have heard scratching in the attic at night from time to time. Then it wil go away for awhile. ...
  A: You didn't mention what part of the country you are in which may or may not be a factor. In New ...
unknown noises from crawlspace under house5/26/2010
  Q: I immediately thought it was raccoons. I first noticed the noises under the bathtub on the main ...
  A: Jennifer If the insulation is damaged then there is probably some type of animal living in the ...
Squirrels and a pet bird5/4/2010
  Q: We had some squirrels move into our attic this past winter. They chewed a hole in one of our ...
  A: I would not set off any "bug bomb" or any other type of bomb in your attic for squirrels. Not only ...
Animal noise within the joists (first to second floor)2/28/2010
  Q: Glad to be able to post a question here. We had a skunk problem a few weeks ago, for which I ...
  A: Renzo Skunks generally do not climb so I feel pretty confident in saying that you can cross them ...
BAT REMOVAL..BUYING HOME ...HELP11/20/2009
  Q: MY WIFE AND I ARE IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING A HOME...IT IS A FORECLOSURE AND WE JUST HAD THE ...
  A: This is a very common situation. I'd guess that 15% of bat infestations are found by real estate ...
Shrews in my house10/16/2009
  Q: I have shrews living in my house, I thought I was trying to catch mice for the last two months but ...
  A: While I have never worked on a house with a Shrew infestation I don't think they would be any more ...
covering a chimney8/31/2009
  Q: I would like to know if there is anything out there in the market to prevent any insects or animals ...
  A: You need a chimney cap. I would advise against trying to make one yourself. Chimney caps are built ...
skunk vs packrat8/6/2009
  Q: we have noticed an odor not quite skunky but similar in our business, is it a packrat or is it a ...
  A: There are one million possibilities in this situation. I could not possibly answer this question ...
mouse problem5/26/2009
  Q: about 2 years ago I caught several mice in my house. I searched the entire perimeter of my house ...
  A: RJ I'd be willing to bet that the mice are still coming and going from the house. A mouse could not ...
Birds in walls.5/14/2009
  Q: Some birds created a nest in our wall (they've been there for some time). We blocked their ...
  A: Ken Yes it would be a good idea to clean it all out of there but at what expense? If it's as simple ...
animal or animals in the walls5/1/2009
  Q: For the last month or so, we have been listening to what sounds like a fairly large animal shifting ...
  A: What you've described does indeed sound like it could be a raccoon. You need to get a professional ...
Squirrel Eating Wires of Car3/5/2009
  Q: I have 3 cars 2 Cadilacs and 1 Lincoln. Twice I had squirrels chew the wires in my Cadilacs not the ...
  A: Peter This is an odd situation. I've had people call me before with mice building nests inside ...
Animal Identification: Squirrels??1/8/2009
  Q: I live in a 3 year old new build 5 story development in London. We are on the top floor and my ...
  A: Sel It may certainly be squirrels inside the roof of your home. In the US both gray squirrels, ...
mice in attic?12/28/2008
  Q: Scratching can be heard on my sheetrock ceiling. Mostly at night but sometimes during daylight. An ...
  A: Drew I suggest that you take another look around and look for possible entry-points that you may ...
feces in attic11/16/2008
  Q: I am insulating my attic and found that a squirrel must have been up there by the way papers were ...
  A: The droppings that you've described sound like Raccoon feces. Be sure to remove these droppings and ...
feces on boat & Dock9/16/2008
  Q: Am I correct in thinking the attached photo is Bat droppings? If so, how can I stop them from ...
  A: That is definitely not bat droppings. Bat droppings are black and they're slightly larger than a ...
which pest?9/10/2008
  Q: Can you tell me how I can tell whether I have bats or chimney swifts in my chimney?
  A: There are a couple ways to tell the difference. Chimney swifts have the ability to fly straight up ...
SE PA--very loud insect in trees at night; not cicadas?9/3/2008
  Q: (I just typed this and for some reason it got erased? Oh well--thanks for this service! We live in ...
  A: I'm not really sure. It doesn't sound like anything that i've ever heard. It definetly sounds like ...
bat control9/2/2008
  Q: Bats in log home.Come in during nite(see the new streaks of bat urine on windows).None found inside ...
  A: Arthur You should look into excluding the bats by sealing the exterior of the house. An informative ...
Bat8/20/2008
  Q: It is the first bat that has been found in this cabin in 40 years... I do not believe there is a ...
  A: "Because the bat was in the house, does it have a higher risk of having rabies?" No. This was more ...
learning pest control8/8/2008
  Q: I would like to get into this trade.I am working on my core manual and also my structual licence.i ...
  A: That is a difficult question to answer as salaries for technicians vary greatly. I would estimate ...
Squirrel7/28/2008
  Q: We have a squirrel in the roof of our house. We have put down poison. We have an electromagnetic ...
  A: Throw out the poison and the elctronic squirrel scaring device for starters. Place the cage trap ...
Bats7/27/2008
  Q: I live in Mexico and I moved recently to a house near the country. The day we arrived we saw that ...
  A: Erik Being from New England I am not familiar with the vampire bat species. I'd suggest calling a ...
my cat caught a bat7/26/2008
  Q: I live in Blythe Ca. and I know nothing about desert bats. Last night my cat came in with a bat in ...
  A: I think it would be impossible to say for sure if the cat was bitten. I'd think that if the cat was ...
bats in chimney6/30/2008
  Q: I presently have bats in my attic and find it very annoying...they are quite loud. What is the best ...
  A: Bats in a chimney is one of the most difficult situations that I see in the field. There are many ...
Birds in wall/eve6/12/2008
  Q: I have a bird that has nested in my eve (and possible the wall as I here movement there). The baby ...
  A: When birds enter areas like this they usually don't venture very far into the structure. In most ...
What is this?2/4/2008
  Q: For about a week or more we hear a sqeaking in our wall, almost sounds like crickets, perhaps a ...
  A: The fact that I'm from Massachusetts might make this difficult for me as I'm not familiar with the ...
Squirrels1/21/2008
  Q: I have been trapping and relocating squirrels for a decade using peanut butter as bait. Beginning ...
  A: There could be quite a few factors contributing to your empty traps. Less squirrels in the area, ...
Bats11/29/2007
  Q: My cousin has an older home, and we know it isn't sealed all the way, somehow the bats are getting ...
  A: Getting bats out of a home can be a very complicated task. There are a lot of factors that must be ...
Bat dung9/12/2007
  Q: we recently had a large number of bats living in our attic and we think we got them all out but now ...
  A: To be honest I don't feel comfortable providing you with any type of answer to this question. There ...
bats8/29/2007
  Q: For the past couple of years I have been observing a small family of bats that live under the eaves ...
  A: Vicki There are a lot of variables in this type of situation. In some cases bats are very happy to ...
unknown pest8/25/2007
  Q: I had water leaking in so I took down a knee wall in front of a cinder block foundation. I noticed ...
  A: Sorry for the delay as I was out of town. Droppings in or around a cinder block foundation could be ...
Bat Estimate8/20/2007
  Q: We have a bat problem and live in central New York State. We've confirmed the bat presence (maybe ...
  A: You are on the right track. Excluding bats is the only long-term solution to this type of problem. ...
mouse control65nky8/13/2007
  Q: My wife and I have a country house in West Virginia. There is plenty of wildlife outside our home ...
  A: In a rural setting like you've described you'll have your work cut out for you. I am not a big fan ...
Bats in my chimney8/13/2007
  Q: I live in Oregon and I have bats in my chimney. From the sound of them they are babies. Normally I ...
  A: Are you sure they're bats? There is a bird called a chimney swift that is commonly mistaken for ...
Mouse8/8/2007
  Q: my family just came from vacation and we found a mouse, and we want to know what food attracts a ...
  A: John Peanut butter and standard mouse traps work well. Use a light coating of peanut butter on the ...
Bats7/30/2007
  Q: We have bats that over night have been up in the corner of our house outside. There is droppings, ...
  A: Kay There is very little that can be done to prevent bats from landing on a specific area. If you're ...
mice control7/19/2007
  Q: I just discovered evidence of mice in the kitchen and bathroom of our house. We have two indoor ...
  A: Different people may have different ideas on what is the "best" way to get rid of mice. 99% of Pest ...
there is a dead mouse lost in my room7/9/2007
  Q: there is a dead mouse hidden in my room . I cant find it no matter how much I clean. I sthe door and ...
  A: Lisa The mouse cascass is probably in one of your walls. They sometimes fall into wall voids from ...
Bat removal7/3/2007
  Q: I have what appears to be a bat that clings to my chimney (outside) just under the soffit every ...
  A: Patrick There is very little that can be done to prevent a free-raning bat from roosting on the ...
raccoon5/30/2007
  Q: I have a raccoon living in a lg tree in our front yard. We don't want him there. If I cover the ...
  A: How will you know that she is inside the tree when you cover the hole? What if the raccoon has young ...
bats in the attic5/5/2007
  Q: I live in a 100 year old brick house. There are very many ways for bats to get into the house. (I ...
  A: Angela I have never seen any type of "Repellant" work to keep bats away. As long as there are ...
is the bat gone?3/20/2007
  Q: Last night my cat brought a bat into the house. After it flew around for about 20 minutes I thought ...
  A: Judy Unfortunately in this situation there is no way to know for sure if the bat is still in the ...
dead animal /smell1/13/2007
  Q: HELP - It smells like there is a dead and decomposing animal under our mobile home. What to do? ...
  A: The best way to approach the problem would be to have someone crawl under the home to remove the ...
walking sounds in ceiling1/8/2007
  Q: I live in a cape code with a full dormer on the back. I do not have an attic. I hear ...
  A: Sounds like you may have some mice or squirrels entering through the roof. The dormer that you ...
squirrel12/26/2006
  Q: i have squirrels in the attic. do these strobe lights work? if i cover up the holes they chewed in ...
  A: Richard Ecellant question. I perform approximately 200 squirrel removal services every year. I have ...

All Questions in This Category

Pest Control

Matthew Grady

Top Expert on this page