Pest Control/Questions Answered by Expert George Manning

SubjectDate Asked
stink bugs6/27/2010
  Q: I live in Maryland and in our area (starting last year) we have been infested with stink bugs. We ...
  A: Stink bugs over-winter as adults. They will fly to the south and west sides of your home. These ...
spiders and ants6/25/2010
  Q: me and my family recently rented a house and had phone and internet and cable set up and found out ...
  A: As a lay person, you should approach this situation, initially, by treating the storage area with a ...
trapping red squirrels6/24/2010
  Q: I am presently trapping red squirrels living under my deck. After catching them, how far from "the ...
  A: Red squirrels are territorial. Introducing strange squirrels into that spot will only cause the ...
human host?6/23/2010
  Q: can human host fleas? what are the symptoms? if dermatologists can not help what type of Dr. should ...
  A: Indeed humans can become hosts to fleas. Location of bites is often a tip-off that fleas are the ...
Pantry Moths6/17/2010
  Q: ! I really hope I don't stump you!!! Damn pantry moths. No source in food at all....recently ...
  A: Allexperts probably notified you that I was placed in the unavailable listing, since your question ...
This is really wierd6/13/2010
  Q: There are these little black things that look like seeds that appear in our bathroom sink and ...
  A: To be of help, I will require a specimen. You can check with customs regarding shipping a few of ...
bed bugs inside a mattress?6/12/2010
  Q: is it possible for bed bugs to be inside a mattress and not just on the outside around the ...
  A: Yes Peter, bed bugs can enter the mattress interior via the rope handles, and any other openings ...
flies6/9/2010
  Q: I have swarms of small, but not tiny, flies swarming on my porch. They look like house flies with ...
  A: Your description does not help me to answer your question that I located in our question pool. If ...
scorpions6/7/2010
  Q: How effective is electronic pest control particularly against scorpions. Do scorpions hear?
  A: It is useful to know that scorpians do not hear as we think of hearing but are equiped to feel ...
drain bugs6/6/2010
  Q: I have discovered these tiny little bugs in both the kitchen and bathroom sinks. they are very tiny ...
  A: You had sent me this question a few weeks ago. Issues came up that prevented me from responding, ...
no see-ums infestion in the home6/4/2010
  Q: Out of no where my home is suddenly infested with something so small I cannot see them. Whatever ...
  A: It is difficult to answer your question. I can offer possibilities, but without specific evidence I ...
Is Termidor a danger to my old dog?6/3/2010
  Q: I live in Southern California. My painter found termites while painting a large beam on my front ...
  A: Careful application of Termidor should not be a danger to your elderly dog. If the company ...
Getting rid of rats in crawl space6/2/2010
  Q: I have a rambler with full basement, and there was an addition at some point on the bedroom so half ...
  A: When rats persist as they do in your situation, the suspicion is that there is an immediate ...
bed bugs - dont throw out furniture?5/30/2010
  Q: would you say it is more than unwise to put unwanted furniture out at the garbage bins in the ...
  A: AMERICAN PEST SOLUTIONS INC. PESTPROBLEMSSOLVED.COM 9140 S. BALTIMORE Chicago, IL 60617 ...
Mysterious Feces5/28/2010
  Q: I found a mysterious dropping in a puddle of urine this morning in my garage. It was about the ...
  A: I will look at this image when I get back to my office. Photo image is lacking on this computer. ...
black gnats?5/26/2010
  Q: We have a large population of small black flyers that seem to circle around and around on our patio ...
  A: You are probably describing Bloodworm adults, also known as Chironomid midges. I am enclosing a ...
Bees I think5/17/2010
  Q: I have what I think is bee's making these tunnel like holes in my soil, this piece of ground is next ...
  A: There will be no damage to the yard. These are a species of digger wasps; most likely. When they ...
Noise in attic5/15/2010
  Q: My house in California is 20 years old, we've been there 10 years. In the last 2 years, I started ...
  A: It seems like the behavior of a male raccoon. When the coon returns from his nightly maraudering; ...
huge red galls on my ash tree5/12/2010
  Q: I have a beautiful ash tree in my front yard and it looked as if it was growing red seed pods all ...
  A: Nipple Galls are usually harmless to the tree. Unsightly, they do not come back as profusely each ...
possible bed bugs?5/11/2010
  Q: Ok, let's see if I can stump you with this one. :) For the past, maybe 2 weeks, I've been waking up ...
  A: Bed bugs will pierce clothing to get to a food source; possibly you in this instance. Your husband ...
bird mites?5/7/2010
  Q: We need help identifying what is biting us. We think it is bird mites but cannot find the source. We ...
  A: Depending on where you are located, referring to season temperatures, bird mite issues could vary. ...
Cedar Bark Mulch & Cockroaches5/5/2010
  Q: I live in Phoenix Arizona and I have a number of flower beds with roses in them and river rock on ...
  A: In your part of the Country, there are a number of roach species. I imagine that someone was ...
worm/bug5/4/2010
  Q: I live in S. Florida and I have these worm/bugs inside my home. They come out more frequently at ...
  A: LG, please take pictures, and, or send me a few specimen so that I might be able to help. As you ...
kill insects5/2/2010
  Q: I work in a fresh-cut lettuce factory. What is the ways for killing insects, specially worms in ...
  A: Your's is a difficult question to answer; however, let me attempt to help you. Firstly, field ...
German Roaches4/30/2010
  Q: ..I recently signed a lease for a single family home. I asked my landlord if I could have a ...
  A: At this point, you have combined liquid and dry propellents with a roach gel(unknown brand). When ...
large and small roaches4/28/2010
  Q: Is boric acid and caulk a proper solution to a large and small roach infestation
  A: When you refer to large and small roaches, I am assuming that you refer to different species. Boric ...
bed bugs " kepper " solution?4/27/2010
  Q: my dad said in the old days pioneers used for lice etc. a candle like tin...in old houses, ...
  A: Kepper Solution is unknown to me; however, you may be referring to a sulfur product or home remedy. ...
hundreds of worms!4/26/2010
  Q: As leaving my sisters home tonight after it had rained all day long we noticed hundreds of worms ...
  A: There are many reasons for earth worms to surface and be found lounging or slowly moving over a ...
holes in the yard4/24/2010
  Q: I live in Sioux Falls,SD.Last year I noticed piles of dirt in the yard,holes did not seem ...
  A: At this time of year, the white grubs, japanese beetles, June beetles, and others, are close to the ...
cockroach bomb4/21/2010
  Q: How toxic is a "cockroach bomb" to humans? We have had a bad chemical smell in our apartment ever ...
  A: What we will often call a roach bomb, contains pyrethrum, a botanical, that is synergized with ...
Mice/Insulation4/15/2010
  Q: We have a recent mouse infestation in the attic. It seems as though there are no active issues, but ...
  A: When one is experiencing a mouse infestation within the attic, the mice are using the mechanical ...
maggots in fireplace4/12/2010
  Q: Help! About 8-10 days ago I thought I smelled something dead, but could not find it. Yesterday when ...
  A: An eighth to a fourth inch long maggots is somewhat unusual. One would usually see larger maggots ...
What to do when an HOA contractor uses infective mulch with termities4/11/2010
  Q: This year after 5 years I have leave in this HOA development the contractor who did the landscaping ...
  A: It is not likely that mulch brought in termites at the onset of the landscaping. It is more likely ...
white Grubs- April4/7/2010
  Q: I am looking on purchasing a house in NH and upon inspection we found Grubs in the lawn which are in ...
  A: Talstar granules and DeltaGard G are both granular products that can be scattered over a lawn. It ...
Desert or pack rats?4/6/2010
  Q: I found outside my home in a corner where the gas tank stands lots of 'debris', which was obviously ...
  A: You are definitely describing the behavior of pack rats, often called wood or desert rats. They ...
flies4/2/2010
  Q: why is there so many flies (a ton). on my siding on the top corner and also on my deck railing? ...
  A: Please tell me in what region of the Country you live. Describe the flies also. Are there varying ...
holes in yard4/1/2010
  Q: my yard has just dried out from the winter and I am finding quarter to half dollar size holes ...
  A: Kathy, please tell me what region of the Country you live. There are a number of possibilities that ...
Mice - what to do now?3/29/2010
  Q: I live in the UK in a terraced house in an urban area, with a small loft space. Last week, I was ...
  A: It sounds as if you are experiencing a recent entry of what could be mice. The description of ...
Bugs in sores3/27/2010
  Q: These are tiny. They have been magnified by a 400x microscope. Dr. keeps telling us it is all in ...
  A: I am having a difficult time with this image. I thought that the individual infected with these ...
termites in my bathroom tub3/26/2010
  Q: Exactly a year ago, I had my first swarm of termites in a second floor bathroom tub. I have lived ...
  A: That you are capturing termites on duct tape that sealed the tub drain, makes me believe that your ...
Finger-size holes - destruction of grass3/24/2010
  Q: Have noted many finger-size holes throughout my yard. When I spary 7-Dust into holes in the ...
  A: The coloration that you describe as flesh-colored, makes me believe that you are seeing a species of ...
Spring wasps3/22/2010
  Q: Last summer I had a wasp infestation - they came in through a gap in the siding and a cement step in ...
  A: From what you describe, you may have the yellow and black Polistes dominula paper wasp, or possibly ...
Flying Squirrels3/20/2010
  Q: We visit our country home every 4 to 6 weeks near Mohican State Park in Ohio. The last couple of ...
  A: Glaucomys volans is most likely the species of flying squirrel that is found in your area of the ...
Queen Termite?3/19/2010
  Q: We recently removed old tree trunks from our yard. When we popped the biggest out of the dirt I ...
  A: This beetle larva appears to be a member of the Stag horn beetle family. You can look up much ...
finding if there is an animal behind a wall3/18/2010
  Q: This is not directly related to pest control, but since you would deal with animals that get into ...
  A: It is less likely that a cat found itself trapped within a wall than that it may have accessed a ...
bird mites!3/17/2010
  Q: I had a hard time picking a catagory for this issue because its 6 issues in one. I live in a row ...
  A: Your question leads me to believe that you are experiencing a chronic mite re-infestation brought ...
microscopic biting insects in my bedroom3/16/2010
  Q: I believe I have flying thrips in my bedroom. Sometimes, I can see their very fast flying pattern ...
  A: You ask a rather complicated question, which requires a rather complicated answer Ana Maria. I will ...
Silverfish3/14/2010
  Q: I occasionally find silverfish in various spots in my house. They are mostly on the upstairs, in ...
  A: There is much to be said about silverfish, or their cousins, firebrats, when it comes to their ...
termites3/12/2010
  Q: I live in Northern Virginia. I had a termite inspection done and as per the report it says that ...
  A: Reticulitermis flavipes, the eastern subterranean termite species is the common and dominant termite ...
Ants in the house3/11/2010
  Q: The last couple weeks I have been seeing some what I beleive are carpenter ants in the house. They ...
  A: Your inquiry is somewhat generic for carpenter ants Scott, but ground saturation has nothing to do ...
Ladybugs3/10/2010
  Q: How do I get rid of ladybugs from my house, they have been in the house all winter now there are ...
  A: Ladybugs are often attracted to certain houses each year. By spraying the south and west sides of ...
Unknown bug3/9/2010
  Q: We have had an extremely difficult time finding an expert to our problem. We have been having some ...
  A: Before taking on this unknown, repeating, stinging-like bite phenomenon, I'd like to know if ...
Mice and rabbits3/5/2010
  Q: I have seen a mouse in my bedroom a few times this week. It only seems to be one and we have never ...
  A: There are communicable diseases that can transfer from one species to another in numerous ways. ...
mic in sub floor3/1/2010
  Q: I know I have several mice in my house. My daughter saw a mouse in her bathroom room on the bottom ...
  A: Mice will be seeking a food supply close to their hide-away harborage. Even though you are putting ...
worm is shower2/21/2010
  Q: I have found a small (5mm) black worm, multiple times, in the shower stall while showering. I think ...
  A: This picture was generally similar to what a larva of the Psychodidae family should look like. ...
drywood termites2/18/2010
  Q: Four years ago I had an antique pine table moved into storage. I owned the table for 25 years. I ...
  A: Following your scenario, my questions follow: 1) What termite species was identified and by whom? ...
Termidor - Application2/17/2010
  Q: I do not currently have termites. House is 1,400 sq. ft built on a crawl space, with an attached ...
  A: Your question is appropriate, and you do not want to follow the exterminator's recommendation as you ...
pesty bugs2/8/2010
  Q: I live in Wisconsin and have been dealing with these tiny dark brown/black flying bugs that I have ...
  A: By the mouse dropping comparison, I think that you are describing Drugstore beetle adults. These ...
Thrips elimination on cats2/5/2010
  Q: My indoor cat has been suffering with an infestation of thrips for about 6 months. Thrips were ...
  A: There are literally thousands of species in the taxonomic order Thysanoptera. There are 704 species ...
Phorid Flies (Part II)2/1/2010
  Q: I had asked you a questions about Phorid Flies last week and wanted to follow up with you. The ...
  A: In order to have a Phorid fly development, the conditions that will foster their continuation must ...
Holes in Clothes1/30/2010
  Q: Where do I start? Started seeing holes in our clothes about 6 months ago. They are in mostly the ...
  A: You may not be looking for the right critters. You may be harboring carpet beetles. The pheromone ...
Ant Problem in January1/29/2010
  Q: HELP! I have lived in this house for 11 years and NEVER have had an ant problem in the winter. I see ...
  A: You may be experiencing acrobat ants. Genus Crematogaster, many species usually about 1/8 inch(3.5 ...
flesh flies1/23/2010
  Q: They are appearing in my bathroom! A couple at a time. At first,a week or 2 ago, I saw some flies ...
  A: Your's is a common but interesting story. You must be living in a warm climate. I can't imagine ...
Drain flys1/22/2010
  Q: George: I live in a basement apartment in Chicago's northwest side. I have lived here for two ...
  A: What caused this sudden appearance? Was there plumbing work done recently? What you are calling ...
bed bugs1/20/2010
  Q: I have had orkin out twice in 10 days to my condo in chicago. Ihad my entire place steam cleaned. ...
  A: Coincidentally, yes. American Pest Solutions is my company. They can email or fax you a procedure ...
House flies1/12/2010
  Q: I live in a modular home with skirting all the way around. Last summer we had a huge fly problem. I ...
  A: It seems that you may be harboring either face flies or cluster flies. The fact that they appear ...
Moths leaving blue spots1/8/2010
  Q: A wool coat I received has blue spots which appeared suddenly. I thought someone had made a ...
  A: The blue stains appearing on the wool coat left me pondering. I sometimes let my mind search ...
large flys in house/winter1/2/2010
  Q: About 5 days ago I noticed a couple large black flies in my bathroom clinging to the plastic on the ...
  A: Flies that are recurring as you describe may be Cluster flies that are awakening from their winter ...
Northern Fowl Mites1/1/2010
  Q: Can you please provide me with information on eradicating this pest? Do the CedarCide products work? ...
Fuzzy Tube Worm12/31/2009
  Q: I have collected little tubes made out of fuzz/dust usually sitting where the wall meets the ...
  A: You are witnessing the emergence of Plodia interpunctella, commonly known as Indian Meal Moth. I ...
Cockroaches12/23/2009
  Q: I work for an apartment complex and one of our residents has been complaining about seeing ...
  A: There are several species of roaches that may fit the description that I imagine you could be ...
fly infestation in winter months12/18/2009
  Q: it is 19 degrees outside the middle of December and we have a huge problem with big black flys in ...
  A: There are several specie of flies that over winter within building structures. Cluster flies, ...
Dry rot treatment12/14/2009
  Q: The house that I just bought has some minor dryrot that I think I can fix myself. I'll remove all ...
  A: I can see that you have done research. There are certain conditions that will effect results: ...
mystery insect larvae12/9/2009
  Q: Recently I've been seeing what looks like the bottom row middle image that I found listed under ...
  A: Diane-- Due to a heavy schedule, I have not been as available as I would like to be during this ...
pest that looks like fuzz12/7/2009
  Q: I have been having a problem with pest that look like white fuzz on clothing which is hard to wash ...
  A: I will respond to your question in detail in a follow up answer. I have been tied up with several ...
basement worms12/2/2009
  Q: Every time it rains I have numerous small earthworms come in around an outside basement door. They ...
  A: Your pictures were somewhat helpful. I appreciate the effort you made Morris. In spite of ...
Big, slow black flies12/1/2009
  Q: About 5 days ago, I noticed 3 very big, slow moving black flies in the house. They move so slow, I ...
  A: Not seeing a specimen is somewhat of a handicap; however, I am thinking that you are seeing flies ...
Tiny Stripped brown bugs/larvae11/28/2009
  Q: I have some little bugs with dark brown stripes, maybe 2-3mm long, maybe 0.5-1 mm wide. It does not ...
  A: A similar question was asked several weeks ago John. Enclosed is a copy of my answer. Of course, ...
Sudden infestation of flys11/24/2009
  Q: We have a recent infestation of black house flys. We have never had this problem before. How do we ...
  A: You are asking to general a question. I will try to help you to help me further. We may strike a ...
Who are you?11/23/2009
  Q: Georgie Manning, Were you raised at 74th and Carpenter? If the answer is yes, email me and I'll ...
  A: I am not that George Manning; however, another George Manning teaches at Truman College, and is ...
House Flies11/22/2009
  Q: Do you mix apple cider vinegar with water or just use it plain to spray flies? If so, how much ...
  A: If you are trying to use natural sprays on yourself or horses, apple cider vinegar can be of some ...
Tiny caterpillars in my closet11/20/2009
  Q: I've recently discovered very tiny caterpillars on the clothing in my closet...just 3 or 4 of them ...
  A: You are seeing larvae of the beetle known generically as carpet beetle. You may have been seeing ...
Treating stumps and unwanted vegetation11/19/2009
  Q: Our student council recently cleared part of the city park of unwanted growth. They have asked our ...
  A: I would wait until Spring to prevent new growth. Most leafy vegetation is finished being active and ...
Very tiny bug on my wall11/10/2009
  Q: I have found three very tiny bugs on my wall. I attached an image to give you an idea of their ...
  A: Erica--- I believed that I sent you an answer a few days ago. Apparently, it didn't get to you ...
a rat!!!!!11/5/2009
  Q: i live in a rural area and a couple of nights ago my wife heard a noise behind the washing machine. ...
  A: The blood can be removed with a dilute solution of Chlorox. The possibility of a recurring rat ...
Wasps Inside our Basement11/4/2009
  Q: About a couple of weeks ago, we noticed wasps inside the house. I found the entrance to be just ...
  A: Your questions are great because they highlight concerns expressed by so many other people. In the ...
Wasps in chimney11/3/2009
  Q: For the past two weeks we have been finding wasps flying around our living room. The only place we ...
  A: Since you intend to light a fire in the chimney, I presume that you live in a northern climate. The ...
Lawn Overturned10/29/2009
  Q: I have a small lawn of 8' by 20' at my backyard, and one day when I woke up, a small sheet of lawn ...
  A: This looks to be the work of raccoons looking for grubs. It could be skunk but I think the digging ...
Mite infestation10/27/2009
  Q: Recently Iíve been noticing small mites on the surface of my desk and more or less everywhere about ...
  A: These are probably psocids. I would like you to google book lice, psocids, and family psocidae. I ...
worm like creature10/26/2009
  Q: I live in Ohio and my cat had found some kind of worm and I need to know what it is. On the carpet ...
  A: Your cat found a millipede. It is harmless, feeding on organic debris. It found its way inside ...
dirt bugs10/24/2009
  Q: I am currently keeping mantids as pets and am having a problem with tiny red bugs that are living in ...
  A: I believe that a light dusting with flowers of sulfur will control the mites without effecting the ...
brown bugs that crunch10/22/2009
  Q: I have spotted a few little brown bugs (probably 1 cm long) with yellow/brown stripes on them, they ...
  A: There is no correlation between the small "bugs" and the larger insect that flew into the house. ...
wasps10/21/2009
  Q: We are currently having a problem with wasps. (We live in NJ) In Sept. we noticed the wasps going ...
  A: Wasps will die before the cold season sets in; however, they can persist for a short while with the ...
mouse extermination10/20/2009
  Q: We have an infestation problem with mice every autumn. I have made extensive attempts to prevent ...
  A: For the future, you can place a bait block perimeter guard around the property that will not be ...
Bee infestation in outer wall10/17/2009
  Q: I have a bee infestation. I saw where they entered an outside wall and emptied a can of spray into ...
  A: Many people report honey bees when they are really seeing yellow jackets entering the home. In ...
strange ants10/15/2009
  Q: I live in the San Francisci bay area. We had 3 inches of rain yesterday. Today I am noticing fairly ...
  A: It would be useful to receive several specimen in this case. You describe them as long and black as ...
Tiny brown/black bugs with stripe10/11/2009
  Q: I have some little dark brown/black bugs, maybe 3-5mm long, maybe 2-3 mm wide, NOT fuzzy-looking and ...
  A: Your description sounds as if you are seeing the larvae of a carpet beetle species; there are many ...
brown spots on my walls10/9/2009
  Q: I found tiny brown spots on my living room wall the other day. We have a brand new house. The spots ...
  A: Before I can attempt to answer your question, no matter how detailed the description, I'll want to ...
Raccoons tearing up my new lawn10/8/2009
  Q: How can I humanely stop them from tearing up my new grass. Each day my backyard looks like Beirut! ...
  A: Raccoons and opossums will dig up lawns to get grubs. If the area is small and the digging is ...
shredded candy wrappers - mice?10/6/2009
  Q: After several years of accumulating clutter I am finally cleaning out my basement. My husband ...
  A: The photo shows a dispersal of mouse droppings(fecal matter). It is possible that there are no more ...
Booklice10/5/2009
  Q: I think they are booklice. They are very very small white 'crawling dots' I have seen a couple of ...
  A: Booklice or psocids are members of the family of tiny arthropods classified as psocidae. Your ...
moles10/2/2009
  Q: We have moles in our garden and my mum is saying she is worried incase they did through the house or ...
  A: Woodchucks(groundhogs), a marmot species will dig under a house, but not moles. They dig two kinds ...
Ants! Ants! Ants!9/29/2009
  Q: I'm doing a senior project for school where I take a problem and engineer something to fix it. The ...
  A: It will be useful to identify the ant species that you will be discussing for your senior project. ...
termites-best growth reduction/bail product9/28/2009
  Q: Soon returning to home owned in Caribbean where there is ongoing termite problem. Building site was ...
  A: The following baits are registered and can be purchased by an end user such as yourself: Slower ...
leaveing the roaches in the landlords mold!?9/26/2009
  Q: I really hope i don't "stump" you w/ this, so here it is; It may sound rotten of me but i hope it ...
  A: A number of ideas come to mind that can help you to leave the roaches behind. Purchase ProZap ...
stubborn ant problem9/24/2009
  Q: I live in Los Angeles. I have had problems with rodents, but never with ants, until now. Starting ...
  A: I found your question in our question pool where it remains until a volunteer expert finds it. I ...
crickets in basement keep coming back9/24/2009
  Q: How would I stop the crickets from coming back in the basement? I have killed about 20 or more with ...
  A: Crickets are voracious feeders. A cricket bait will do the job. One such bait registered for this ...
stinkbugs9/24/2009
  Q: We are badly invaded for the third year in a row now, have them year round. Especially bad in the ...
  A: Over wintering arthropods are a huge subject in general. Depending on the available pesticides that ...
house flys9/21/2009
  Q: I live in Maine. My house has vinyl siding on 2 sides and common house flys are all over the ...
  A: Over-wintering flies, Cluster, Fly Pollenia rudis (Fabricius), and Face Fly Musca autumnalis ...
Ridding flies out of my house9/19/2009
  Q: I need to know how to get rid of flies in the house. I don't want to use a harmful pesticide as I ...
  A: For overall simplicity with no insecticidal concerns, you can use a sticky post that contains a fly ...
bug spray effect on wood floors9/18/2009
  Q: i spray for bugs in our house. we recently remodeled and now have two rooms with wood floors. Will ...
  A: Spraying any insecticide on the finished floor may effect the finish; most likely not a finished ...
Stink Bug (BMSB)9/18/2009
  Q: I read an email or two that you had with a gentleman named Jim from NJ who has a BMSB problem and as ...
  A: the answer is treat the exterior of the house from gutterline to the base of the building using ...
powder post beetles9/17/2009
  Q: Mr. Manning, I bought a hewn log home from Pennsylvania and had it dismantled and moved to Utah. I ...
  A: There are several ways to treat this log; apparently, recently hewn. I would prefer that it be ...
Cockroaches9/16/2009
  Q: My husband and I purchased a condo in Largo, Florida in May. We gutted the bathrooms, the kitchen ...
  A: The insecticide that your relative has been spraying each month has left a lethal dose of ...
Do I have termites?9/16/2009
  Q: I found about a dozen termites flying around a lamp. I called a pest control company and they ...
  A: I believe that you do have drywood termites if the first exterminator identified them as such. ...
giant house flys9/16/2009
  Q: HELP!!!! My mother is suffering from dementia and left a dirty pan in an enclosed electric wall ...
  A: You are seeing flesh flies and, or blow flies that have been attracted to a rotting food source, ...
Help Mites?9/15/2009
  Q: Please help! Last year right around the end of spring early summmer, I noticed these bugs in my ...
  A: The photo you sent me is not defined enough for me to verify that this is a mite; however, its size ...
Drain Fly Larvae9/14/2009
  Q: I've recently discovered drain fly larvae in my shower stall. My house is brand new construction, ...
  A: Just to be certain that you are seeing "drain fly" larvae let us review the appearance of the ...
mice/rat dropping removal9/9/2009
  Q: 1. I have found rats in my outside Jacuzzi. I have washed down the droppings and filled the holes ...
  A: You mention rat droppings that you have cleaned up in the Jacuzzi, and filled holes with foam such ...
worm/larvae in bed9/7/2009
  Q: I consider my self a pretty clean person, even though our 12 year-old teacup Chihuahua sleeps ...
  A: Melanie-- Please send me either a specimen or a picture of one or more of these creatures. I am at ...
CENTIPEDES9/6/2009
  Q: I HAVE LOT OF POISONOUS CENTIPEDES CRAWLING IN TOILET AND BATHROOMS.EVERY DAY WHEN I FLUSH THE ...
  A: There are many species of centipedes. In your part of the World, there are true venomous ...
Drywood Termites in Outer Wall of Multi-Story Stucco Building9/2/2009
  Q: I live in a ground floor unit of 4 story stucco apartment building in Northern Ca. The place was ...
  A: Drywood termites are a particular problem because they are so invisible, subtly building a ...
re: previous answer9/1/2009
  Q: I recently wrote to you about having lizards around my house. You suggested to carefuly plant around ...
  A: So often landscapers set up plantings when the home was completed. As time passes these plantings ...
Borate solution formulas (home made)8/31/2009
  Q: I read reference to creating a borate solution to deal with powderpost beetles, wood fungus, etc.. ...
  A: www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/spec/PICK-timbor1.htm This product will handle your request for ...
pest droppings8/30/2009
  Q: We have found our garbage spilling over a bit in the morning (located under the sink) and this ...
  A: Did you take a picture of these droppings? Rat scat will be shaped very much like olive pits. ...
Bugs at Porch Light8/28/2009
  Q: Is there any way to keep bugs away from a porch light without using a yellow bulb or a bug zapper? ...
  A: Several techniques could help. The use of UV (black light) placed a distance away from the home's ...
caterpillas in my furniture8/27/2009
  Q: i have found black caterpilla like things that have eat there way through my wardrobe leaving ...
  A: Your question remained unanswered in the question pool. Unless one of the volunteers looks in the ...
getting rid of lizards8/26/2009
  Q: I've been noticing alot of lizards around my house. I live in southern california, I don't know what ...
  A: Lizards, in this case chameleons, are not easy to control. They forage, actually move about to ...
Can't locate all sources of wasps inside home!8/24/2009
  Q: My problem started two weeks ago when I started noticing wasps in my living room. Luckily they ...
  A: As you realize, there are many species of wasps; likewise, there are many varied niches that will ...
Termites in soffit/roof sheathing8/23/2009
  Q: I live in central Connecticut. My roofing contractor crew just replaced a 5' x 4' wet rotted area ...
  A: You, Robert, deserve a response in detail. I found your review of your "termite" situation. The ...
Wasps and Yellowjackets8/18/2009
  Q: I have a pool and water fountain in Arizona (high desert) that has attracted dozens of paper wasps ...
  A: There are pheromone baits available that will attract wasps. I have never used them, and so I ...
BIRD MITES8/18/2009
  Q: I HAVE AN INFESTATION OF BIRD MITES IN MY HOME AND MY BODY. I HAVE MULTIPLE BITES AND STREAKS ON MY ...
  A: The drastic steps you have taken to remove yourself from bird mites is amazing. Once bird nests ...
Wasps in walls of house8/17/2009
  Q: I have wasps swarming around under the eaves of the second floor of my house. They are going in and ...
  A: Depending on the interior construction of the bathroom wall, you could exterminate wasps a little ...
droppings identification8/15/2009
  Q: I recently found droppings in the middle of my dining room floor that were a swirl-like shape of ...
  A: Jodi--- This is indeed mysterious. 3/4 inch wide loose droppings/pre-diarrhea, in the middle of ...
Termites Seen When Reroofing8/14/2009
  A: Robert, These questions had been answered by me when you directed them to me; however, I'm ...
birds pooping on my terrace8/12/2009
  Q: I just moved into a 9th floor apt w/an open terrace. Pigeons fly onto my terrace & poop all over. I ...
  A: There are many techniques that can help in your specific situation. I would recommend consulting ...
Raw Sewage - Pest8/12/2009
  Q: I am a plumbing contractor and due to a drain not being hooked up properly had raw sewage dump in ...
  A: I have taken your question from the unanswered question pool. I hope I can still be of some help, ...
holes in my clothes8/11/2009
  Q: I need your help, I don't know what to do anymore. About three years ago we moved to a brand new ...
  A: You may be getting visits from crickets or silverfish. Both of these insects will be attracted to ...
bugs8/10/2009
  Q: I am finding these very small blackish bugs in my paper towel rolls the I keep stored in my cabinet. ...
  A: You may be seeing a species of carpet beetle. The larvae may be reminiscent of what you are calling ...
leeches8/8/2009
  Q: It is the middle of the night and i walk into my kitchen and what do i see...leeches! At first i ...
  A: You are seeing slugs, snails without shells. They are attracted to a chronic moisture content of ...
Mysterious Droppings8/7/2009
  Q: I've noticed small, black droppings on the outside walls of my condo. I'm wondering what leaves ...
  A: Bats will often leave droppings on a vertical surface; especially below a point of entry to their ...
tick infestation8/6/2009
  Q: What is the best way to rid my yard of ticks? I have tried all kinds of sprays and dust and ...
  A: By removing overgrowth from the borders of your property, and installing an invisible dog ...
bug bites8/5/2009
  Q: My father has been experiencing pinprick bites for approximate. 3wks, but their is nothing visible ...
  A: It is possible to have contacted batbugs and even mites, when working on a roof. It is not an ...
blue black wasp8/4/2009
  Q: I live in Chicago and have a problem with the black wasps living under my front concrete porch. They ...
  A: The blue black wasp is known as a mud dauber of the species Chalybion californicum, of a family of ...
Insects8/2/2009
  Q: I have noticed that I have these little winged insects with two short feelers coming out of their ...
  A: I will need a little more information in order to help you. What is the coloration of the insect? ...
Gnat control7/30/2009
  Q: Our company recycles aluminum cans...in those cans is residue from the products (soda, beer, etc.) ...
  A: Place all cans in a heated enclosure that maintains a temperature of 110 degrees for 72 hours for ...
mice feces7/29/2009
  Q: My boyfriend recently bought a house that from the outside looked like a decent, middle-income home. ...
  A: It is possible to contact various diseases that mouse urine and feces can transmit to humans. These ...
Mouse/Mice7/28/2009
  Q: I turned on my upstairs unit after not running it for a few months, and it smelled like something ...
  A: Locating the source of the smell may be difficult, since the dead mouse may be behind a wall but ...
Sound like nails being pulled from wood in walls at night7/27/2009
  Q: The sound happens night and day (not really mornings) but mostly at night. It started in early ...
  A: Flying squirrels could be the invader that you are hearing. These small, quite cute appearing ...
unidentified feces7/25/2009
  Q: Ihave been finding what looks like huge mouse terds with white on one end around the edges of my ...
  A: as you have described the scat (feces), I an having difficulty answering your question,"Are these ...
Flying Ants in The House7/24/2009
  Q: I live in a desert area of Arizona. When I first looked at my house it had hundreds of dead, winged ...
  A: Purely guessing, I think you may be seeing Harvester ants, a Ponomyrmex species. I say this because ...
indian meal moths7/22/2009
  Q: i have indian meal moths ( identified by an entomologist)in my second floor bedroom and hallway. ...
  A: Indian Meal Moths can be in book bindings, bonemeal in the garage, grass seed, left over Halloween ...
confused7/18/2009
  Q: ok so here is what happened. i am staying with my mom in florida and my worst fear came true, ...
  A: Greetings Brittany--- You have received misinformation. You are referring to boric acid tablets. ...
bees in the raised garden beds7/15/2009
  Q: I have hundreds of small brown bees digging holes in the soil and at the bottom of the wooded sides ...
  A: Kathleen, There are so many solitary bees that may fit your description. I don't know if you are ...
very tiny bugs7/14/2009
  Q: We live in independence MO in a well wooded area we have a large deck on the front of the house we ...
  A: Jennifer--- None of the experts have chosen to answer your inquiry; probably because it is so ...
mice or rats7/12/2009
  Q: A while back we had a mice infestation problem in our apartment which is on first floor above the ...
  A: Sarah--- You may be seeing young rats if you are comparing sizes of mice and rats. I say this ...
mice7/11/2009
  Q: We have heard mice in an interior wall from time to time. They eventually die and stink. We opened ...
  A: I have been away for a while, and my site was unavailable until today. I don't know if you ...
Brown House Moth7/9/2009
  Q: For many months now, maybe since around Christmas, I have had a problem with what I think are brown ...
  A: Anna--- You are experiencing Indian Meal moths, most likely. I have answered similar questions and ...
earwigs7/8/2009
  Q: I have a 4 yr old modular house in upstate NY. On occasion, I have noticed an earwig or two in my ...
  A: Maybe the following information can help you. If you require further assistance, please contact me. ...
Termite Bond7/6/2009
  Q: Do you have to have a termite bond on your home to be able to sell it in the state of Alabama? When ...
  A: Lisa--- I cannot tell you the legal requirements regarding termite bonds for Alabama termite ...
rabbit urine7/5/2009
  Q: we have pet rabbits which we allow free run of our small freshly laid lawn. unfortunately i now have ...
  A: Since rabbit urine is basic and not acidic like dog and cat urine, you might introduce white vinegar ...
INSECT I CANT IDENTIFY6/25/2009
  Q: I HAVE AN ABUNDANCE OF SOME LITTLE FLY THAT LOOKS ALMOST LIKE A MINATURE BAT. I'VE TRIED VARIOUS ...
  A: www.lexic.us/definition-of/psychodid. The above website will show you pictures of these little ...
worms in the tub6/24/2009
  Q: I live in a old apt. building and lately when i bath i have seen thin sometimes reddish but mostly ...
  A: Camille, I don't know what you mean by a c-s movement. Inch worms move by thrusting their fore ...
bird mites6/23/2009
  Q: I appreciate this site. We found a bird mite infestation in my daughter's bedroom nearly a week and ...
  A: mite--- The Northern Fowl Mite is the most common mite living on birds. When a nest is vacated, ...
german cockroach6/22/2009
  Q: I am deathly afraid of bugs. about 6 weeks ago i was cleaning my living room and saw what i could ...
  A: Tracy--- You may have brought in several roaches with your shopping bags. Depending on where you ...
brown recluse6/21/2009
  Q: i need help!!! we moved into a 1984 3200sq.ft. home and totally remodeled it. we are huge ...
  A: By the time you receive this response, you may have received help from your agricultural department, ...
Centipede-like Bugs6/13/2009
  Q: I live in Atlanta, GA and have been seeing small centipede-like bugs in my third story bathroom for ...
  A: Centipedes are multi-legged, require a humid environment because they easily become dehydrated. ...
Dead animal smell: experts vs. do-it-yourself6/12/2009
  Q: For the past week, we've had a horrible dead-animal smell centered around the closet next to my ...
  A: Ethyl mercaptan odors are released during the early stages after death of an animal. These are ...
eunonymus bugs6/9/2009
  Q: I noticed several different looking bugs on the leaves of the eunonymus shrub; they are orange and ...
  A: This question has been located in the question pool, Lucy. Apparently one of us was unavailable at ...
red minute insects on the papers on my desk6/1/2009
  Q: these tiny red insects appear a few times a year on my desk, crawling over papers and the desk ...
  A: You may be seeing clover mites. When they spread out from the lawn, they often enter the home via ...
roaches5/30/2009
  Q: George, Thanks for your time. I live in a wooded area in PA. I have seen large roaches outside on ...
  A: The outside roaches are probably wood roaches, more exactly, Pennsylvania wood roaches, Parcoblatta ...
can mice climb painted sheet rock walls5/28/2009
  Q: In my pantry I have wire shelves. There are no holes in the walls anywhere around the shelves or in ...
  A: If this is a repeat situation, you may find body stain where repeated travel to and from the shelves ...
Not exactly pests...but a problem5/27/2009
  Q: I keep my st. aug (raleigh) cut at the highest level my mower will cut. I have been fighting gray ...
  A: Custom Rejection: I am not a specialist in this area, have some knowledge, but would do some ...
kitchen counter top bugs5/24/2009
  Q: I am finding these tiny bugs that are tan in color and oblong in shape. Smaller than an eraser ...
  A: This could be a fungus beetle problem. The beetles are reproducing on the surface of your vent ...
Tree gall5/21/2009
  Q: found these little "pods" all around under our ash (I think) tree. Broke a green one open to find ...
  A: The nipple-like gall on the leaves could be from several insect sources. I think it could be the ...
wasps in grill5/19/2009
  Q: i have wasps in my grill; they are building nests in the top of the grill. i want to remove them ...
  A: Introduced from Europe in 1981, we think, , the European Polistes wasp, Polistes dominula, has ...
black widows5/17/2009
  Q: ok, i know i'm going to sound paranoid, but when i went down to my basement today i swear to god i ...
  A: Spiders are not always easily killed with insecticides unless you make direct contact with the ...
Fleas5/12/2009
  Q: Okay,, I have a very clean house, and I have NO Pets, yet I keep finding fleas in my bathroom ...
  A: If fleas are recurring in the bathtub after repeated spraying with product/Enforcer, you may be ...
Fly question5/11/2009
  Q: We live in Corbett Oregon and we have these smaller type flies that seem to fly around in one place. ...
  A: The specimen that you display has clear vein definition; however, I have not been able to key the ...
squrrels5/10/2009
  Q: How can i get the squrrels out of my trees and keep them out
  A: I have heard that aluminum pie pans hung at a number of locations from opposing sides of a ...
cricket5/9/2009
  Q: In 2004 who won the match between India-Newzeeland cricket series?
  A: It seems that India beat New Zeeland Sangita Bhakat: Scoreboard: India: A R Uthappa lbw Smith 11 S ...
A Mouse was in my bed and touched my leg!5/8/2009
  Q: I'm living on the 3rd floor of an apartment building. It's a relatively new building. Three days ago ...
  A: It is highly unusual that a mouse should remain below you bedding, and later make contact with your ...
tiny brown bugs5/8/2009
  Q: We returned from a 6-week vacation to find our bathroom crawling with tiny brown bugs. An ...
  A: Rid-X is an enzymatic formulation in a base of calcium carbonate to my knowledge. Certain enzymes ...
Phorid Flies5/7/2009
  Q: Last summer, I began seeing little flies all over my house. It turned out they were humpback flies. ...
  A: Humpback flies, otherwise known as Phorid flies, will certainly be able to propagate on a dead ...
roaches5/7/2009
  Q: IF you look at animals such as shrimp, lobsters, crayfish, crabs, scorpions, cockroaches, etc they ...
  A: You are asking an interesting question. I will draw from my own observations. Have you ever ...
Ants in house5/7/2009
  Q: We live on the top floor of a two flat and have found about one live black ant per day in our home ...
  A: Are the interior ant sightings large ants? Various ant species may be moving about outside too. ...
boathouse pests5/6/2009
  Q: We have just built a boathouse. There is a lift with a pontoon. It is made from concrete with ...
  A: I have answered this question before, and offer a copy of that information for your consideration ...
Cycad pests5/4/2009
  Q: Each spring/summer some of my sagos become infested with a tiny little creature that looks like a ...
  A: The beetle family, Curculionidae, commonly known as snout beetles, has a number of species that ...
Larvae tube identification5/3/2009
  Q: I was doing some work near our garden and I noticed what looked like short dried grass growing ...
  A: These tubes are unfamiliar to me as they appear in your picture Dave. Knock down a tube and see if ...
Bumbles5/3/2009
  Q: George, I have a bumble bee flying back and forth in front of my overhead garage door. Occasionally ...
  A: Bumble bees and a large Carpenter bee species look quite similar. If the body appears shiny on the ...
flying bugs5/3/2009
  Q: I moved into southwest Florida on a canal about 5 months ago and lately I am finding these black, ...
  A: You are probably describing Bloodworm adults. I am enclosing a lengthy description with all the ...
Stink Bug Control5/3/2009
  Q: Two questions: 1. Is the pest control industry anywhere near a chemical or biological control for ...
  A: The onset of Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs is of recent time. They were imported from Asia; probably ...
i have a ?5/2/2009
  Q: i have these tiny black insects that look like specs of dirt on my cracked windowsills(it seems they ...
  A: It may be that you are seeing tiny insects known as psocids, sometimes also commonly called ...
black pellet droppings (small)5/1/2009
  Q: I recently found a few droppings on my countertops and (eek) on my baby's highchair in the house I ...
  A: If you are living in western or southern coastal States, these locations are areas in which dry wood ...
Animals in the attic4/30/2009
  Q: Manning: Recently we have heard noises above our bedroom in the attic while we are in bed, ...
  A: Pteromyini, a tribe classified in the family of squirrels, Sciuridae, is made up of 43 different ...
INDIAN MEAL MOTH4/30/2009
  Q: I have indian meal moths flying around. I spot the majority of them in the living room. I've also ...
  A: Dave--- I answered your questions the other day and was ready to send an answer when someone ...
small flying insects4/30/2009
  Q: I live between a pond and a sewer pond kept well cleaned and mowed and sprayed frequently. I have ...
  A: These are bloodworm adults. I will enclose a recent answer to this probable pest issue as follows: ...
Ants Chicago4/28/2009
  Q: I have a ento degree from Texas A&M but im unfamiliar with ants species population Chicago ...
  A: Various sized ants, black in color, and moderate to large in size sound as if you are seeing ...
stink bugs4/26/2009
  Q: I have been having about 3 or 4 stink bugs in my house everyday now. I hate having to get rid of ...
  A: when you scroll through my roster of past questions, you will find many answers to your stinkbug ...
bed bugs4/25/2009
  Q: I recently moved into a half double that turns out to have bed bugs. I am a single mother on ...
  A: Certainly placing clothing in the drier for several heavy duty cycles will destroy all stages of ...
carpenter ants4/24/2009
  Q: I've noticed carpenter ants in an around my home over the past few years. In May 2008 I had a ...
  A: Place a protein bait out at different locations where ant activity existed in the past. You should ...
Bees!4/21/2009
  Q: We have probably well over 50 wasps nests under the eaves of our home and our deck. There seem to be ...
  A: Wasps do not overwinter as a colony. Fertile queens go into hibernation under mulch, behind ...
new location but old house.4/20/2009
  Q: We just moved into a house which has been sitting for some time here in southern california. I ...
  A: Does this cricket have a grayish coloration with dark markings on thorax and abdomen? If so this ...
termite protection4/19/2009
  Q: We just purchased a home in North Port Florida last fall, the home is going on 2 years old, it is ...
  A: The whole house plan seems to be a possibility. I don't know what this method entails without a ...
Tiny flying insects4/18/2009
  Q: I live in Oviedo Florida, with a man-made 4 acre pond in the back. My pool screen is covered with ...
  A: Chironomidae, a family of non-biting midges includes the blood worms and their adult fly stage. ...
Rat dropping clean up4/18/2009
  Q: We had three rats trapped and disposed of my an exterminator a littl eover a year ago in a storage ...
  A: The clean-up that both of you undertook seems adequate to me. As musicians, caring about your ...
Crane Fly4/18/2009
  Q: I have seen many, many crane flies on my landscaping in the San Jacinto/Hemet, CA area, front and ...
  A: Craneflies are taxonomically classified as members of the family tipulidae, or more commonly ...
termites and carpenter ants4/17/2009
  Q: We live on Long Island and have discovered that we have carpenter ants in one part of the house and ...
  A: You have laid out a brief but compete explanation which, is indeed helpful to me Judy. First, ...
Can you I.D this pest?4/16/2009
  Q: I moved in my very fist apartment last year and the very first night I felt biting,crawling and I ...
  A: Many people are confronted with unknown bites or itches that come to me for an answer. Many times I ...
mice4/15/2009
  Q: We bought our home in December and have been renovating ever since. We finally finished about a ...
  A: Your effort sounds thorough. Unless you are feeding mice from the pantry, garbage or cat food ...
RED ANT PROBLEM IN ADIRONDACKS4/14/2009
  Q: I have a red ant problem that has taken over an area where we have a well at our summer home. This ...
  A: Citronella ants enjoy a moist soil condition such as is frequently provided in a rock garden or as ...
holes all over yard4/14/2009
  Q: there are little perfect round holes all over the one side of my yard, there must be hundreds. they ...
  A: This same question has been answered in my past answers. I think it appropriate to copy this for ...
Wasps4/14/2009
  Q: Are wasps attracted to perfume or cologne?
  A: The answer is yes. In the early eighties, I read a short article in the Chicago Sun Time by ...
Indian Meal Moths4/14/2009
  Q: We bought a condo 4-1/2 months ago. Soon after we started noticing small moths in the kitchen. In ...
  A: From Virginia PolyTechnical Institute: LIFE CYCLE: The life cycle and habits of this pantry pest is ...
rat clean up4/11/2009
  Q: we set up traps to get rid of mice in our camp trailor and we think they are all gone. we went in ...
  A: You were killing mice in traps but you say there are rat droppings around the premises. Are they ...
noises in the walls4/11/2009
  Q: we keep hearing crunching, kind of noises in our master bedroom walls! They come at night and the ...
  A: Check the entrance slab or stoop for burrows that may be located adjacent to the foundation wall. ...
Ongoing Pest Control4/11/2009
  Q: I own a home in a Planned Unit Development in Eastern Tennessee and it is only 3 years old. All of ...
  A: Your questions are appreciated regarding a continuing, and ongoing termite surveillance program. ...
Sand Mites4/10/2009
  Q: We live in the High Desert are of Oregon and our yard is 90 percent sand and the last couple of ...
  A: Carrie-- Please forgive the slow response. I have been on several projects that seemed to run day ...
Little black bugs4/9/2009
  Q: I live in Arizona and have been infested with some type of tiny black bugs, They are throughout my ...
  A: I have only seen flea beetles moving in mass once. I saw this and thought to mention it here. ...
Euonymus has pest problems...4/6/2009
  Q: I treated our old verigated euonymus for scale with dormant oil as our nurseryman told me to. The ...
  A: Winter creeper, also correctly classed as Euonymus fortunei, is a creeping plant that can break out ...
yellow sac spiders4/4/2009
  Q: how do i get rid of yellow sac spiders in my house?
  A: Generally spraying chemicals has little effect on spiders unless they are directly contacted by the ...
potato bugs3/29/2009
  Q: We just moved and in our new apartment which is ground level with doors that need new framing is ...
  A: There are several different insects that are called potato bugs. The more familiar multi-striped ...
Termites3/28/2009
  Q: I have an above ground pool that we put in last year, and before we did that we removed some stumps. ...
  A: Excellent question Laura--- Termites in such a location prohibit using any kind of termiticide. ...
Bugs3/28/2009
  Q: I have found these very small bugs, they look very similar to a lady bug, much smaller though. They ...
  A: The description and behavior that you portray could be the Varied carpet beetle(Anthrenus verbasci). ...
Help identify3/27/2009
  Q: I awoke this morning to find an insect in my 4month olds crib, inches from his head. Please help me ...
  A: The insect that you describe is a one of the beetle larvae none as a carpet beetle. Look up ...
hornet nest collection3/26/2009
  Q: We have found hornet nests on some property in southern VA in the past year, one attached the the ...
  A: Wasps never occupy a vacant nest. Their life cycle is such that they do not continue beyond a year. ...
mouse remains in trap3/26/2009
  Q: I noticed some rather large mouse tacks under my kitchen sink, and placed a regular spring type ...
  A: Mice will cannibalize; however, not as suddenly as you describe. You mention large tacks; ...
Sand Mites3/24/2009
  Q: I have problem with sand mites or what we call "nik-nik" locally. The area is near a beach so ...
  A: Sand mites are usually referred to as sandfleas. There are at least two entirely different tiny ...
Digger Bees3/20/2009
  Q: I hope you can assist with this potential dilemma. I live in Georgia and have noticed in the past ...
  A: The soil condition is appealing to the digger bees. Amending the soil can prove helpful. The ...
VERY TINY GRAY BUGS OUTSIDE IN CA3/20/2009
  Q: We recently moved to a home in southern coastal California that has a large cement slab patio area ...
  A: It sounds as if you are experiencing a presence of a tiny creature known as a psocid. They are also ...
Help with identification, please?3/18/2009
  Q: A few days ago, I noticed tons of these things crawling around on the deck in my back yard. They are ...
  A: You have been waiting in the question pool. I often check there to see if someone is waiting. We ...
American cockroach/water bug/palmetto bug3/18/2009
  Q: I have been dealing with what I consider to be American Cockroaches since I moved into my apartment ...
  A: In your area, these large roaches are found outdoors as well as in moist interior locations. Smokey ...
Bedbugs3/16/2009
  Q: I'm having a very hard time getting rid of these bedbugs!! My house has been treated, all washable ...
  A: May I recommend that you place items that you are regularly wearing in the drier; assuming they are ...
fruit flies3/13/2009
  Q: My pest control technician advises me to place room air fresheners in interior trash collection ...
  A: You are correct, air fresheners will not work. First of all, are you certain that you have fruit ...
Weird Bug?3/12/2009
  Q: We have this bug that we always find these small little bugs hanging from our walls. We first ...
  A: It sounds as if you have Indian Meal Moth activity. The larvae are ready to pupate when you see ...
Weird bug?3/12/2009
  A: Jeni, This question is unanswered in the question pool. Since you did not direct it to one of the ...
HOLES W/MOUNDS OF DIRT ALL OVER OUR LAWN3/12/2009
  Q: WHAT IS MAKING THESE HOLES IN THE FRONT YARD AND BACK YARD. THERE ABOUT 5-6 INCHES DEEP IT LOOKS ...
  A: It sounds to me as if you have a visiting skunk who is looking for grubs. Depending on the time of ...
hornets3/12/2009
  Q: When we gutted our upstairs we noticed tons of little hornet nests stuck to the rafters. It was in ...
  A: Tonight, I checked the question pool and there were three unanswered question. I don't always check ...
holes in my yard3/11/2009
  Q: I've got tiny holes all over my yard, especially in areas where there is no grass. The yard ...
  A: These holes are caused by a heavy ant population. In certain soils, the ants are not as likely to ...
What are these tiny little hardshelled bugs in my kitchen?3/7/2009
  Q: Ever since winter has ended in Toronto and spring has come in, I have found little black bugs in ...
  A: This description reminds me of stored grain pests. Very likely these are cigarette or drugstore ...
Pesky Flying insects!3/7/2009
  Q: This is the 3rd or 4th year that we are experiencing a deluge of small flying insects in our family ...
  A: They seem to be hymenopterous, but I don't see the morphology well enough. Do these insects have ...
possible termites3/4/2009
  Q: We just bought a 30 year old house in phoenix az and we did have the termite inspection done by ...
  A: When you are concerned about termites, you should obtain a second opinion immediately. I wish you ...
Mice in Kitchen2/28/2009
  Q: We live in a large apartment complex and are having a problem with mice. We have likely found the ...
  A: Where mice are entering your apartment via an opening such as you describe, cut a section of ...
WHEN TO SPRAY FICHUS TREES SO THE BERRIES WON'T GROW2/27/2009
  Q: I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHEN IS THE RIGHT TIME TO SPRAY FICHUS FLORIDA TREES SO THE BERRIES WILL NOT ...
  A: I am not aware of a spray that will mitigate fruiting of the Ficus florida tree, nor do I know what ...
bee/wasp/hornet structural repellent2/26/2009
  Q: I've read the "nothing available" for direct application to skin as bee/wasp/hornet repellent- but ...
  A: To my knowledge, there are no true repellants against bees and wasps. General repellants that might ...
Wasp problems2/25/2009
  Q: I am having a problem with wasps in my home year round. I believe they are coming down the chimney ...
  A: When living in four season locals, the wasps will not overwinter as colonies. Queens will ...
dead mice2/24/2009
  Q: I worked in a warehouse and mice kept dying in empty storage bins. I would find a skeleton with a ...
  A: What you observed, referring to the"halo" of fur around those mouse skeletons located in empty ...
Nest somewhere in my chimney2/17/2009
  Q: I have either a hornet or wasp next somewhere inside my chimney. A chimney sweep told me to soak a ...
  A: Because you are reporting wasps at this time of year, I presume that you are living in a warm ...
BEES2/12/2009
  Q: I AM EXTREMLY ALLERGIC TO BEES , WASPS, ETC. tHE LAST TIME i GOT STUNG MY THROAT STARTED CLOSING ...
  A: People who are extremely allergic to bees, wasps, and some stinging ants, should keep an epi-pen on ...
Snout Bugs2/12/2009
  Q: I wrote about Snout Bugs just now on how I found them in the ceiling vent thingy of my apartment. I ...
  A: Snout beetles are also known as curculionids; really classed in the family curculionidae of the ...
Pesty problem2/9/2009
  Q: ...I think you may be the right person to ask this to. I live in the most northern part of Ohio. We ...
  A: MEADOW VOLE ( Microtus pennsylvanicus ) Meadow voles can be your mysterious ...
electric voltage2/9/2009
  Q: My sisters county in Alabama is over run with large ant hill mounds, she dont like poisons like me, ...
  A: I'm not certain about alternating current, I'd rather think about low voltage direct current. This ...
Paper wasps2/7/2009
  Q: My husband and I live in a log cabin and we have a problem with paper wasps. We moved into our ...
  A: Individual wasp colonies do not have a perpetual life. In tropical climates colonies may persist ...
thrips - Help please!2/6/2009
  Q: about 2 months ago, i noticed my ficus bush had some mis-shapen leaves. they looked like peapods and ...
  A: use a soapy solution on the plants regularly. Spray a product known as Talstar as a fine mist on ...
Moth Balls Safery2/5/2009
  Q: I have been told that the fumes from the moth balls are dangerous. Are they?
  A: Moth balls have a safety limit. Using too many in a limited space could be dangerous to the ...
Wood & foam eating insects2/4/2009
  Q: Living in the AZ desert, I have a problem with an insect that I have not yet found eating plyboard ...
  A: Drywood termites fit the description. They will remove foam as they consume the plywood board. ...
Scratching sound in wall only at night1/29/2009
  Q: For pest identification purposes: we live in an 80 year old bungalow located in an urban area ...
  A: Your report is well written and quite clear. I visualize the conditions that you describe. You ...
pond care1/27/2009
  Q: We recently experienced great delight when hundreds of robins stopped off in our city yard for ...
  A: Your location is important. I am not certain that you have issue with the Robins. It sounds as if ...
Phorid Flies1/25/2009
  Q: I believe what we have in our home is Phorid Flies. I bought some cheap potting soil and ...
  A: The phorids can be treated by soaking an emulsion of one of the pyrethroids in the soil so as to ...
get rid of rat!1/25/2009
  Q: We currently have a wood-rat living in the underpart of our truck. We have tried to remove it, but ...
  A: Wood rats also known as pack rats, are of the genus Neotoma. They can become a persistent pest in a ...
Carpenter Ants in Winter1/24/2009
  Q: I have definitely identified Carpenter Ants in our Ontario Canada house. We started noticing them ...
  A: Ants found your hollow core door in late summer. They are known as a satellite colony. The primary ...
tiny black bugs/ seem to be attracted to a white chemical1/20/2009
  Q: my former husband/entomologist/ has tortured me with bugs for 7 years trying to make me look ...
  A: Intestinal worms are the easy solution the tiny black"bugs" are more difficult to answer. Putting ...
Can roaches spead from grandmas apartment to my house from her dog?1/14/2009
  Q: My mother is having a roach problem in her apartment. She is having it sprayed today and she and ...
  A: A long haired dog might have roaches nesting in its hair, close to the skin. Bathing the dog, and ...
insect bitting me1/13/2009
  Q: i have a poroblem, an insect is bitting me for months it will stop for a while after a I hade an ...
  A: If you look through my many past answers, you will find answers to similar questions. Your ...
squirrels in the attick1/11/2009
  Q: Good day! We have squirrels in the attic for sometime and need to know how to deal with this ...
  A: There is no liquid solution that will get squirrels out of the building. There are products that ...
Insect infestation1/7/2009
  Q: I'm hopeful that someone can help me identify an infestation problem. Several years back we had a ...
  A: Drugstore beetles have either been introduced to the D-Con product prior to your purchase, and have ...
squirrels1/6/2009
  Q: I recently took my truck in to be tested and found that a squirrel (probably red) had made a nest ...
  A: This problem is likely the act of a few squirrels that have adopted your truck. The occupying of ...
black blue wasp1/5/2009
  Q: in one night about a week ago i killed 12 black blue wasp in my house since that time about 3 or 4 a ...
Caterpillar "One Hundred Feet"1/3/2009
  Q: I've live in Miami, FL. I've move one month ago. My house have a little patio and two driveway on ...
  A: Not living in Miami, nor anywhere in Florida makes for a poor expert in your area. I have looked up ...
tick control1/1/2009
  Q: last year the ticks invaded my mothers home to a horror degree. We have adjoining property about 3 ...
  A: Ticks can be found all year round. It is true that summer can be a more prevalent time for exposure ...
Mosquito Hawks (crane flies) in Michigan1/1/2009
  Q: Last week I spotted a mosquito hawk in my kitchen, which was quite surprising since I only know ...
  A: Crane flies are true flies belonging to the family Tipulidae. There are thousands of species in ...
Caterpillar in basement1/1/2009
  Q: This morning (January 1) I found a caterpillar in our basement. (Found in the finished portion of ...
  A: I am not immediately able to identify the species, but I think that the caterpillar is one within ...
earwigs12/30/2008
  Q: How do I kill earwigs inside my home without pesticides, just organic. I have pets. Thank you.
  A: There are a number of species of earwig, but the most prevalent is known as European earwig. The ...
Mouse Control12/30/2008
  Q: I have been in my Boston apartment for 3 months now. we live on the 4th floor of a 10 unit building ...
  A: Mice will sneak out to grab a food item and carry it back to the nesting place. The food items can ...
Mystery Pest(s)12/27/2008
  Q: I'm at my wits end. I live in a 1920's house in MN. Plaster & lathe walls. Stucco exterior & ...
  A: Quarter sized holes are not typically made by chipmunks; could be mice or the thirteen-striped ...
Non-toxic Carpenter Ant Extermination12/27/2008
  Q: We live in the Mid-Atlantic where it has been below freezing--one snowfall so far this year. ...
  A: Your home made remedy may work on carpenter ants too. Typically, at this time of year, when ants ...
Flies12/27/2008
  Q: We have a fly problem in the restaurant where I work in the Northeast. Our exterminator has not ...
  A: my guess is that you have a fly species of the Drosophila genus. Most people immediately class ...
Phorid Flies!12/26/2008
  Q: My husband and I live in Jacksonville, Florida and moved into a condo about 3 years ago. Each ...
  A: The shiny small black flies that you mention as Scavenger flies are one of a number of species ...
Roaches12/25/2008
  Q: I have an infestation of roaches(small ones) in Northeast Ohio and I had an exterminator come and ...
  A: my inclination is to recommend using boric acid as a fine dust, in conjunction with the roach bait, ...
Shrew12/24/2008
  Q: My cat got this little guy in our back room. He's certainly not a mouse, appears to be a shrew. The ...
  A: Your photos are appreciated. Yes, your cat brought you a shrew. They make cute pets. I recommend ...
Black ants in the winter12/22/2008
  Q: George, We live in the suburbs of Chicago and it is COLD! right now, but today we found numerous ...
  A: Carpenter ants satellite, sending members to outpost locations. This can occur at any time between ...
large hole12/21/2008
  Q: i discovered a large hole (1 ft dia) in our flowerbed tonight (12-20-08). we have had armadillos ...
  A: Armadillos are almost impossible to get rid of by trapping. If you try this method get some expert ...
keep bugs from biting me12/19/2008
  Q: I am moving to Florida and i wanna how do i keep bugs and insects from bitting me
  A: There are no perfect products out there. Even Deet, which may be the most effective is not a ...
moth larvae12/18/2008
  Q: You were very helpful with a question about textile moth larvae a few weeks back. My husband read or ...
  A: Your Dryer will not become infected. Insects will not be capable of moving to the lint screen from ...
Large amounts of flat black excrement under the couch12/18/2008
  Q: I looked under my couch and found a large amount of small, grey and black flat insect excrement. I ...
  A: What you describe could be the feces of drywood termites. It is strange to hear that the feces is ...
textile moths12/17/2008
  Q: I read somewhere that you can kill the little white-beige gossamer textile moth larvae by freezing ...
  A: Below freezing temperature overnight may be too short a time to expose cloths moth larvae. The ...
bites12/17/2008
  Q: I have been getting bitten on the back of my neck....by some unseen pest for the past 5 weeks....I ...
  A: Your question is too site specific for me to answer with any certainty Larry. I too have felt ...
clothes moths12/15/2008
  Q: I've recently found holes in several of my woolen sweaters and a wool jacket. I think it was made by ...
  A: Carpet beetles may be doing the damage. Two kinds of cloths moths may be the culprits too. I just ...
Bird Mites12/12/2008
  Q: I have had a bird or rodent mite infestation for over 12 months and have been unable to eliminate ...
  A: Please tell me how you know you have been experiencing such a long time mite problem. If rodent ...
Geese control12/12/2008
  Q: Our homeowners association has several ponds and we want to keep the geese off the grass around the ...
  A: Goose Chase by BIRD-X is my recommended choice. There are other products too, but this one is ...
bugs12/11/2008
  Q: Recently my son moved a friend of his into our home saying he had lost his apartment and his job, ...
  A: Not knowing where in this country you live, but understanding that a friend of your son, who was ...
Book Lice12/9/2008
  Q: I read your answer to Lucy http://en.allexperts.com/q/Pest-Control-1500/book-mites.htm with ...
  A: If you enclose the books in a reduced space and use a dehumidifier, you should be able to destroy ...
Roaches12/9/2008
  Q: I was wondering what is the best way to get rid of roaches? I live at apartments in San Antonio ...
  A: Depending on the roach species, baiting can be most effective in company with a fine dusting of ...
killing large mole problem12/8/2008
  Q: I live in northern Alberta, Canada, where I have a hay field full of moles. I have a dug-out with an ...
  A: To my knowledge, there is no known mass kill of moles by flooding. The thought that you could wipe ...
Problems with psocids and silverfish12/3/2008
  Q: Manning, between my books and papers that I have in my living room I recently found some small ...
  A: Use of a hair dryer is not a bad idea if you can hook up a thermostat control that take temperature ...
noises on the roof12/2/2008
  Q: We have heard scratching in on our roof late at night. We cannot ascertain if it is within the roof ...
  A: Hearing scratching on the roof at night can often sound like it is within an attic space; however ...
Flies11/24/2008
  Q: I own a large home in New Hampshire. One of the bedrooms always has quite a few "flies" mostly ...
  A: Your question was found in the allexpert question pool. I'd like to help you. Apart from the ...
moths eating wools and cottons11/23/2008
  Q: I believe we have a major problem with moths. I dry cleaned all my cashmere and wool sweaters last ...
  A: Carpet beetles may be your problem. They often infest cotton materials. I am enclosing information ...
Bed Bugs11/23/2008
  Q: For the last week or so my boyfriend and I have awoken to many itchy bites on our bodies. We have ...
  A: Bedbugs engorge themselves with a blood meal. They take in more than they can ingest, and, ...
Mite Infestation11/21/2008
  Q: My brother recently found a dead bird in his house and has since had the worst nightmarish ...
  A: Once the subject bird, or its nest are removed, there will be a movement of mites to seek an ...
Tiny poppy-seed type bug,11/20/2008
  Q: I just visited my house in coastal SC and came across an infestation of tiny black bugs or dark ...
  A: I am sorry. I thought I sent you an answer to your question. Initially I picked up the question in ...
Insects in Storage Unit11/19/2008
  Q: We have a storage unit full of boxes and furniture(they have been there about a year). Before we ...
  A: Dusting interior of boxes with Drione dust could be useful. If the space can be enclosed in plastic, ...
Wood eating bug11/18/2008
  Q: I just bought a piece of furniture, it's a wood ottoman, but hollow - very light. There's a small ...
  A: Look up Lyctid, Anobiid, and Bostrichid beetles. If you are having problems with the information, ...
Mouse problem11/13/2008
  Q: I live in a 1903 brownstone building in Brooklyn, NY. Recently we have had an influx of mice in our ...
  A: Your question was located in the unanswered question pool. It was not, to my knowledge directed to ...
rodent in my wall in kitchen11/12/2008
  Q: How do we get the rodent out of the wall? The sound seems to be coming either from the built in ...
  A: There is an answer to a question about mice that should appear in my past answer log. This question ...
Rats in the walls11/12/2008
  Q: My husband and I bought this 20 year old 2 story home 3 years ago. A month or so ago I noticed ...
  A: Before I speak to your rat problem, I want you to know that I picked you and others out of the ...
bugs in firewood11/11/2008
  Q: I live in upstate New York. I noticed little round holes in my firewood, mostly ash. It has small ...
  A: There are two types of wood infesting beetles; those that infest live trees, and those that infest ...
Bugs in documents11/9/2008
  Q: I keep some documents in a small fireproof safe. The safe is very damp inside due to the fireproof ...
  A: You are seeing Psocids, and could also find silverfish. An easy and deliberate way to destroy the ...
moth larvae11/8/2008
  Q: having a horrible, horrible time with small white gossamer textile moths (not food). Have an old 150 ...
  A: Your referring to the webbing cloths moth, Tineola gisselliella, I think. If the larvae are ...
Black Wasps in My House11/7/2008
  Q: I've been finding very large black wasps in my house over the last 2 weeks. I live in the midwest ...
  A: Wasps do not overwinter as a colony. As a matter of fact, only the newly fertilized queens will ...
Roaches11/6/2008
  Q: I live in Northeast Tenn, I moved into a place that has roach and the landlord won't do anything. Is ...
  A: You can purchase a roach paste developed by the DuPonte Corporation, that can be purchased from a ...
pest ID11/4/2008
  Q: We live west of Phx AZ in a new home. On the front porch, along the floor, we have found very small ...
  A: You may be harboring a small bat population. See if there are any entry possibilities at the upper ...
drywood termites11/3/2008
  Q: I am concerned I may have found evidence of drywood termites. We had some firewood in the garage, ...
  A: Drywood termites are not native to Iowa. They are western and southwestern creatures for the most ...
?bird mites? specimens11/2/2008
  Q: Mr. Manning, Please do not forget about my specimens. I sent the specimens with a long note. ...
  A: I did not forget, and will sit down with this project Saturday afternoon. I have been caught up ...
possible pest11/1/2008
  Q: recently i can hear a highish pitched but loud sounding noise possibly from the attic i have heard ...
  A: a high pitched sound at early AM and, again, late PM, could be the sound of a raccoon. If the sound ...
climbing mice11/1/2008
  Q: Can Mice climb Sheet rock or slightly textured walls?
  A: The answer is yes; however, there must be some kind of incentive to do such. They do not randomly ...
borate products for spot treatment of dry wood termites10/30/2008
  Q: I have dry wood termites in an outside wall of my garage. I plan on removing the drywall and ...
  A: Tim-Bor is the product of choice. I would recommend dusting the internal runways by drilling a ...
termite10/29/2008
  Q: George, My aunt lives in Arizona and had the termite tubes in 2 of her bedrooms and the garage. ...
  A: You are correct in not feeling good about the answer as you are relating it. With tubes, I presume ...
worm bugs on Ugg boots10/29/2008
  Q: We discovered tiny 1/8 inch wormy bugs on the outside and inside of a pair of sheepskin boots which ...
  A: White in the middle and dark at both ends does not ring a bell for me. This sounds to me as if you ...
mole control10/28/2008
  Q: I live in upstate NY and have a mole problem. I am not willing to apply chemicals. How do I find ...
  A: Mole traps exist, not very humane; however, effective. Also, an anticoagulant made to mimic earth ...
termites10/28/2008
  Q: I, first of all, would like to thank you for taking the time to read my questions and consider ...
  A: Clumps of clay can still be evidence of termite activity. At times termites will build out a larger ...
might have bugs in a piece of furniture10/26/2008
  Q: Less than a year ago, we bought a table with 2 doors and a shelf. I removed the shelf and use the ...
  A: The name"Death watch" comes from the ticking sound that the adult makes inside infested wood that is ...
Bugs in insulation10/23/2008
  Q: I just noticed in the unfinished area of our basement that we have long oval shaped flat bodied bugs ...
  A: Long oval, flat bodied bugs in you insulation, is not enough of a description to allow me to fairly ...
?bird mite? specimen10/22/2008
  Q: Mr. Manning. I would like to know if you received the specimens that I mailed. I mailed them about 2 ...
  A: I must apologize for the tardiness of my response Ray. AllExperts dropped me because I failed to ...
holes in the grass10/22/2008
  Q: I live in a suburb of Los Angeles. About 2 weeks, I saw an approx 2" hole with dirt pushing up from ...
  A: Skunks, possum, cicada killer wasps, voles, and moles could be responsible for this yard condition. ...
fly/moth10/22/2008
  Q: This is the second fall season that I have a problem in the house with an insect that looks like a ...
  A: Psychodid flies appear moth-like, and will leave a dark surface wall mark such as you describe when ...
Can you identify this bite??10/21/2008
  Q: I recently e-mailed you regarding a noise in the wall of my house in Dallas. You were very helpful ...
  A: The lateness of this reply may arrive long after your question. Usually, I answer questions ...
Bugs appering in bathroom10/21/2008
  Q: I live in Phoenix, Arizona. Over the past month, we have has an unusual amount of bug activity in ...
  A: Apart from the dark stripes, I thought that you might be experiencing an invasion of American ...
tiny black worm like creature10/20/2008
  Q: I work in a very large garden style apt. complex and had a call this morning from a resident that ...
  A: I enlarged your photo Diane. This appears to be a Dermestid larva, but its location does not seem ...
spiders10/6/2008
  Q: We have so many spiders and webs under the porch ceiling. We just painted it two days ago and swept ...
  A: One easy way to eliminate the existing problem is to hang PROZAP INSECT GUARD from the porch deck ...
?bird mites?10/4/2008
  Q: Mr. Manning. I have asked you some questions re: bird mites before. It has been 3 months since all ...
  A: Send the specimens along with a note from you Ray. Time of day or night when you become irritated, ...
Drain flies10/3/2008
  Q: Yesterday I walked into my second floor bathroom and noticed about six or so little fruit flies. ...
  A: Erica, Please look up drain flies, sand flies, moth flies Psychodid flies among my hundreds of ...
phorid Flies10/1/2008
  Q: We have had these flies for about 1 week. An exterminator came yesterday and said that's what it ...
  A: Phorids have an irratic zigzag motion when walking. they often take a running start before flight. ...
Bird mites10/1/2008
  Q: I have been going crazy with this problem! Had two nests on eves next to bedroom window. Nests have ...
  A: When birds leave their nest, bird mites will seek another host. It often happens that one member of ...
Bees10/1/2008
  Q: I seem to have developed quite a bee problem in my basement. Over the past month, there have been ...
  A: You are calling these dead insects bees. Are you positive that they are bees, and if so, what kind ...
black flies9/30/2008
  Q: Few days ago i noticed few black flies in my bathroom then i noticed lots of very small ...
  A: Please search through my previous answers. You will find similar questions. Should you photograph ...
I'm desparate!! Some sort of Mite Problem??9/29/2008
  Q: I live in IL near St. Louis. I can't see anything. However, I get bite marks on me (usually at ...
  A: There are many mite specie. To discover what is persisting to irritate you may be virtually ...
Moving/ Cockroaches9/29/2008
  Q: I really need some help :) I've been staying with a friend for the past month, he said he didn't ...
  A: Diatomaceous earth is not in the slightest toxic to humans. If it is consumed, there should be no ...
Problems with squirrels in the attic9/28/2008
  Q: I have tried for weeks now to trap the squirrels that have taken up residence in my attic. I am to ...
  A: Use a live trap such as Hav-a-hart. Tie or hook a peanut to the upper side of the cage just past ...
Mice nesting in sub-floor9/27/2008
  Q: Mr. Manning, I need your advice please...I have mice nesting in the sub-floors of our 2 story, ...
  A: It sounds like you have begun the process of reducing the mouse food supply by removing the feed ...
Worms9/27/2008
  Q: I live in rural Kansas. Every fall we have a problem with black worms entering our house. They are ...
  A: These are probably millipedes, and are easily killed. They enter the home in the late Summer, often ...
GEORGIA PALMITTO BUGS9/26/2008
  Q: I LIVE IN A CONDO THAT HAS ALOT OF CRACKS, I HAVE SEALED THEM UP BUT THESE LARGE BUGS SEEM TO COME ...
  A: There are a number of baits that will attract these roaches. Entice, Baygon 2 percent granules, and ...
Gnats9/26/2008
  Q: Here is my issue: I currently work as a carpenter. Many of my jobs are in wooded areas. For some ...
  A: Try using teatree oil as a hair application. Mix with a little baby oil and apply. I don't know in ...
Please help me with Carpenter Ants9/25/2008
  Q: I am living in the south of Atlanta, GA. I found carpenter ants while they were eating sausage on ...
  A: I'm listing previous answers for your consideration Anna: Private: No View Published Answer ...
Ticks9/24/2008
  Q: I recently moved from Gainesville, FL to Tampa, FL. My dog used to get some ticks (mainly deer ...
  A: A vacuum cleaner such as a shop vac, removing the filter, and placing boric acid in the container ...
Basement Drain Flies9/24/2008
  Q: I think this will stump you. I live in a house built in 1930. The basement was finished by a prior ...
  A: Slip a PROZAP INSECT GUARD in the sump pit system. If all lines flow to the ejector pit, then you ...
tiny ants inside downstairs near baseboards9/23/2008
  Q: I live in Santa Fe, NM. Mid-September, I noticed small dirt piles on door threshold outside of ...
  A: Try using baits. At this time of year in Northern States, ants may switch to carbohydrates. Test ...
Larvae/pupae identification9/22/2008
  Q: We've recently found some larvae/pupae in our kitchen/dining room area which we can not identify. I ...
  A: John Tidd-- I tried to paste this account, ...
can't get rid of clothes moths9/18/2008
  Q: We have a serious infestation of these moths in our house here in Philadelphia. They have been here ...
  A: Cloths moths cannot digest cottons or synthetic fibers, but will attack blended fabrics that contain ...
Roach cannon9/17/2008
  Q: I have found one thing I can do which kills roaches and gives me a sense of accomplishment. I seem ...
  A: Shop vacs are being used by some of the enterprising pest control companies now-a-days. In these ...
cloth moths9/16/2008
  Q: I am going crazy trying to figure out what to do. About 1 1/2 years ago I had found some small moths ...
  A: I'm sending you previous answers to your question, Tracie, as follows: Indian meal moths in my ...
Wasps, hornets and ground bees9/14/2008
  Q: How do wasps, hornets and ground bees benefit the environment?
  A: Hornets and wasps are predators, and capture non-beneficial invertebrates such as flies, and ...
biting midge9/13/2008
  Q: I have for the past six weeks been in a struggle to rid myself and my home of what I am quite sure ...
  A: The idea that you have biting midges is unlikely; however, you may be experiencing mites. Midges ...
Little brown beetles9/12/2008
  Q: We have an invasion of brown beetles in our motor home....the rubber roof is destroyed, and they ...
  A: I'd appreciate a specimen of the rubber eating brown beetle. I think that you are seeing ...
pest control9/10/2008
  Q: hello if i wanted to start my own pest control business would you say work for a pest control ...
  A: Pest control is becoming an important occupation, as more people seek a pest-free environment, but ...
black worms on floor in florida condo9/10/2008
  Q: Alway in the same room. The floor is ceramic tile so I can't understand how they are getting in. ...
  A: Your description needs more detail. does this creature have legs? Is it soft bodied or is it ...
drain flies in an apartment complex9/9/2008
  Q: I live in an apartment and have had a problem with drain and fruit flies since I moved in over a ...
  A: What people call drain flies in one local may be a different creature in another. Drain flies as I ...
Small white insects in kitchen9/8/2008
  Q: I live in the UK and around four weeks ago, I realised that there were hundreds of tiny white ...
  A: Sounds as if you are experiencing a psocid invasion. Conditions being right, they will build up ...
Carpenter ants9/5/2008
  Q: I've read how difficult it is to eradicate carpenter ants. I believe I will be able to find the ...
  A: Carpenter ants have already changed their food preferences by mid-August in four season regions of ...
Wasp-like creature seen today8/27/2008
  Q: What is? 3 or 4 times longer than a bee, with the front half a brown colour, and the rear half a ...
  A: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Cicada_Killer is a good site to look up this wasp. Cicada killers are ...
pet-safe termite control8/27/2008
  Q: i live in bombay (India) in a studio apartment. the partment is full of old wooden furniture. i have ...
  A: Coptotermes spp, a drywood genus, and Reticulitermes spp, a subterranean genus, act differently from ...
Wasps? nest in charcoal grill.8/24/2008
  Q: Last fall I cleaned the grill up and opened the vents on the bottom and closed the vents on top ...
  A: You are describing European Polistes wasps, (Polistes dominula). These wasps were first noted in ...
grasshoppers and red/black stripe lrg beetle looking bug8/21/2008
  Q: You recommended Neems oil for grasshoppers; where can this product be purchased and how should it be ...
  A: Neem oil has many uses. I am enclosing copied information. As a repellent, you should find the ...
Roach Infestation: Condo Complex8/18/2008
  Q: I just moved into my brand new condo and was immediately confronted with a cockroach infestation. I ...
  A: You should report this condition to the condo board. They will be able to instruct you in the ...
bell hornets8/18/2008
  Q: I have a terrible problem with bellhornets coming out at night around any lights. I'm afraid to cut ...
  A: Bell hornets are not a familiar species to me. I have answered this question for Jessica, and I'll ...
climbing raccoons8/17/2008
  Q: What's the best 'porcupine wire' or similar product to dissuade raccoons from climbing up the 9' ...
  A: Place a cone shaped sheet metal ring aroung the posts with a radius of 18 inches. It must be ...
Texas Native Oak Tree8/17/2008
  Q: We noticed today that there are webs in our oak trees. These are young trees planted by the ...
  A: off hand, I do not know what the webbing looks like, and I am not at all sure of what you are ...
ants living in car8/16/2008
  Q: My sister recently aquired a car that was stored outdoors. There seems to be big black ants living ...
  A: Are the ants large black ants or are they a smaller species? Generally, we like to suggest that you ...
Bee extermination8/14/2008
  Q: We have bees in our house wall under the external siding and also under a cement step on the patio. ...
  A: Knowing how long bees have been residing behind external siding and under the step of the patio ...
Getting bitten but cannot seen the culprit8/14/2008
  Q: I have spent a fortune on trying to figure out what is biting me. We have had 4 different pest ...
  A: Morgellon's Disease is sometimes described by many of the symptoms you are reporting. Since no one ...
bathroom flies (maybe)8/13/2008
  Q: in the past month or so i have found hundreds and hundreds of flies that through research seem to be ...
  A: Within my answers to previous questions, I have answered such descriptions such as yours. It sounds ...
bird mites8/12/2008
  Q: I desperately need your professional advice. I first encountered bird mites on 7/8/08. It all ...
  A: A questioner, who has read your question , wishes to contact you. I am enclosing her address. I'll ...
Wasp nest in my chimney8/12/2008
  Q: We have a wasp nest at the top of our chimney. We have a wood burning stove insert and although the ...
  A: Wasps of all species will look for a nesting location every year. In four season climates, such as ...
Mites (Bird)8/12/2008
  Q: You wrote to a reader "should you use apple cider vinegar and olive oil rubbed in you can repel bird ...
  A: When mites invade your skin, olive oil can often destroy them by rubbing in the oil. Apple cider ...
Termites Behind Fireplace8/12/2008
  Q: Hey, We have termite tunnels coming out from behind the mantel of our fireplace. We have a wood ...
  A: It sounds as if you have subterranean termites. in what part of the Country do you reside? It may ...
Hymenopterous Family species of wasps8/11/2008
  Q: How do you totally get rid of the species of sand wasps Specidae? I have them in my sand box at ...
  A: I am enclosing a similar question and answer. This may serve you as well, Lori. Regards, George ...
rodent in minivan8/10/2008
  Q: I had my air cabin filter changed in my 2005 Toyota Sienna and there were rodent droppings in it. ...
  A: Baiting with an anticoagulant bait placed near the filter will attract the culprits to feed. This ...
Bell Hornets8/9/2008
  Q: I live in Bedford, Virginia and we live in a wooded area and in the summertime have to deal with the ...
  A: You have stumped me with the species known as Bell Wasps. I have searched through my references and ...
slugs and water bugs8/6/2008
  Q: I live off a side street mainly in town. In my subdivision there is a feild, stream, and a pond ...
  A: In an ecological way the two species may be considered via one method of extermination. Each of ...
cicada killers8/4/2008
  Q: Mr. Manning, I read your response to Gary about not killing the cicada killers, but they are making ...
  A: If you are certain that they are Cicada Killers, and they are the culprets that dig up your area, ...
Cicada bees8/3/2008
  Q: We have had cicadas in our lawn for the past 3 years. Each year we have an increased number. Had ...
  A: Yes, you can kill them, but they are extremely beneficial and do no harm. You will not get stung. ...
non toxic treatment of fleas indoors/outdoors8/2/2008
  Q: My pregnant daughter lives in Dallas, TX. Her Irish Setter (1 yr. old)has fleas- they have have ...
  A: Diatomaceous earth dusted outside will help. The "earth" serrates the flea's chitinous surface ...
leeches?7/31/2008
  Q: I have lived beside a creek for 45 years, this year I'm seeing these long tannish wormlike stuck on ...
  A: It is difficult to eliminate leeches. One mechanical way to reduce their numbers is possible. ...
Unusual House Fly Problem7/31/2008
  Q: We've lived in our Southern California home for 20yrs. In the last 2 days we've seen an ...
  A: When flies lay eggs on a food source, the maggots that hatch from the eggs, will all develop into ...
pantry moths & larvae7/30/2008
  Q: How do I get rid of these? I had a problem with them last year in my cabinets and now there back ...
  A: Indian Meal Moths can be re-introduced in food stuffs, animal feed, or simply from outside sources. ...
outside roaches7/29/2008
  Q: My husband spends alot of time on our back porch at night, whether it's reading, drinking coffee, ...
  A: Depending on your location, their are a number of outside roaches. Australian, Smoky brown, ...
no see umms biting insects?7/29/2008
  Q: can not see what is biting me .have sprayed , changed bedding and they are gone for a night or two ...
  A: I am forwarding a similar question that I've answered in the past, which can be of help to you ...
Small Black pellet type animal droppings7/29/2008
  Q: We have been having these little black droppings in the corner of our front entrance. I put garlic, ...
  A: You may be describing bats, Suzanne Allen. The replication of droppings at this exact site does not ...
drywood termites7/28/2008
  Q: I have received a shipment of lumber to build a new house and it is infested with dry wood termites. ...
  A: You have a case. The termites infested the wood prior to you receiving it. All that you describe, ...
scratching noises in bedroom wall7/28/2008
  Q: Your profile said to stump you, so here goes...! I live in San Antonio, TX; a brick home with one ...
  A: Roof rats can be secretive, and unseen. Voles can be completely hidden, and behave as you describe. ...
Black Widows7/27/2008
  Q: very close to Savannah so it is very hot here. I am trying to do some research on Black Widow ...
  A: Try drilling small holes in the stucco and flushing the interior space with a combination of silica ...
green tree frogs7/27/2008
  Q: We have green tree frogs which get on our window sills outside and leave black droppings on the ...
  A: Paint the subjective window sills with an epoxy paint of your choice. Allow the surface to dry to a ...
Powder post beetles7/27/2008
  Q: Manning: In 1985, I bought an 1807 house located just north of Middletown, Connecticut. There ...
  A: First of all, we need to establish the environmental conditions that afford this yet unidentified ...
small holes in my lawn7/27/2008
  Q: I live in Vacaville, California. My backyard lawn has small 1/4" to 3/8" holes and around the holes ...
  A: Holes of the size you describe can be attributed to the emerging holes drilled upward by annual or ...
earthworms7/26/2008
  Q: While I know earthworms are good for the garden, we have had an extreme ammount of nightcrawlers ...
  A: Selectively prepare the locations where you wish to halt earthworm activity as follows: 1)remove ...
indian meal moths(?)7/26/2008
  Q: Little gray moths about 14" in diameter. These things came in with some bulk cereal from the health ...
  A: The Indian meal moths can be eliminated. Food that you know to be infested, showing surface of ...
Sand Wasp7/25/2008
  Q: I have a problem on my beach that seems to be over run by hundreds of sand wasps. I know that they ...
  A: Sand wasp control is not possible when there are an ample supply of these insects. Better that you ...
Bee, Wasps7/24/2008
  Q: My father just bought a house in South Dakota and we were tearing out a wall and ceiling and we were ...
  A: First thing is knowing if the occupants are bees and not wasps. If they are wasps, approach their ...
Stinkbugs7/24/2008
  Q: I am a wildlife rehabber and I have a flying squirrel rehabbing a fracture. Out of nowhere his ...
  A: Not knowing what its habitat looks like is a bit of a handicap. I imagine that you have constructed ...
sound in walls7/23/2008
  Q: I have a problem that has, so far, baffled 5 professionals that have come out to my house. I hope ...
  A: Since you describe chronic unending rhythmic sounds that are most dominant mornings and disappears ...
Deer fly population cattle population7/23/2008
  Q: Are deerfly populations affected by the presence or absence of cattle?
  A: Deer flies are breeding in wetland or in chronic pools of water. They do go after cattle, and blood ...
Small Tiny Flies7/23/2008
  Q: i found one small tiny black flies (diptera) about 1.5mm which hang around the wall at the corner ...
  A: Canely, You give me little to go on. There are many flies that could fit your very general ...
Mice7/22/2008
  Q: We have caught two mice in our house, and know that there is at least one more, as it has eaten the ...
  A: When mice have a guaranteed food supply, and ample nesting locations, such as the insulation in your ...
tree see to be dying7/22/2008
  Q: In the yard we have a number of large trees , end of June, or early July all of a sudden they ...
  A: The insect that you found in the dead branch was probably the larva of the oak stem ...
Carpenter Ants in Wall7/22/2008
  Q: I just had two windows replaced and the carpenter said that I have carpenter ants in the wood. What ...
  A: Among the many questions I receive, I have answered numerous carpenter ant questions. They are not ...
earwigs...7/21/2008
  Q: I have a 4 yr old modular on a full concrete basement in central NY. Over the past Winter, a hair ...
  A: Earwigs will choose places where they are not in contact with direct sun. For example, under a ...
woodpile sawdust7/20/2008
  Q: I had four skyline locust trees cut down in the winter because their roots was damaging the patio. I ...
  A: It sounds as if you are experiencing the emergence of the honey locust borer from their galleries ...
bites7/19/2008
  Q: I have a lot of bites on my body that I've been getting at night, but I haven't been able to find a ...
  A: Circumstantial evidence leads one to believe that Northern Fowl Mites are getting to you at night. ...
roaches in bathtub7/19/2008
  Q: We came home from a weekend trip and there were flies everywhere in our house, and dozens of baby ...
  A: Oriental, American, and other sewer loving roaches can enter your home via shower,floor and tub ...
pack rat in my house7/18/2008
  Q: What is the quickest, most effective way to get rid of a pack rat? I have heard they are smart and ...
  A: If you do have pack rats, they look different than Roof or Norway rats. Their tails are long and ...
ANTS!7/17/2008
  Q: What do you recommend to get rid of medium to big sized black ants, maybe carpenter ants. We live ...
  A: At this time of year, protein baits are still the baits of choice for many ant species. The use of ...
few bites at night7/15/2008
  Q: I live an apartment and recently my 1 y old baby seemed to get one new bite per night(5 in ...
  A: The white rice-like object may be coincidental. This would not explain bedbugs or even fleas. ...
Little black bugs7/15/2008
  Q: We had starlings make a nest in our bathroom air vent. Recently we noticed what looked like tiny ...
  A: You witnessed a classical condition; whereby bird mites gather inside the home when birds vacate ...
Mouse droppings in attic7/14/2008
  Q: My husband found some mouse droppings in the attic. A little on and a little under insulation. We ...
  A: Mice travel to the attic via the pipe enclosure that contains soil stack and other building ...
ticks7/14/2008
  Q: How do I get rid of disgusting ticks! Yuck!!
  A: Natural control can go a long way in preventing ticks around your property. Cutting lawns and ...
Water Bugs7/14/2008
  Q: How can I get rid of water bugs? I live in an apartment on the second floor, they are long and ...
  A: Waterbugs in Chicago where we office, refers to American roaches and Oriental roaches. They inhabit ...
honey bees7/13/2008
  Q: I am located in north Texas. I noticed bees under our RV, which has been parked for several months. ...
  A: Install a Porter Bee Escape at the entrance that the bees are using, making certain that there are ...
Giant Mosquitos7/10/2008
  Q: I live in Laingsburg in Michigan (Northeast of Lansing, so somewhat in the middle of the state). ...
  A: Crane flies are often mistaken for mosquitos. I have copied a University bulletin that can guide ...
Brown Recluse Infestation7/10/2008
  Q: I am writing to ask you some advice for control and eradication of Brown Recluse Spiders in ...
  A: The first thing that comes to mind is that you could place all belongings that you suspect having BR ...
tiny white worms on young shummard oak in Houston, TX7/9/2008
  Q: Last summer we had a 60 gal shummard oak planted (Houston, TX). This summer it has a weeping ...
  A: There are so many insect invaders of oak trees, some more specific to red and shummard oaks. Gypsy ...
bees, hornets7/9/2008
  Q: Live in so. fla - Northern tip of Okeechobee Lake. Have what I think are of wasp / hornet family. ...
  A: Their are many wasp species. this is a broad genera of hymenopterous insects. All are beneficial, ...
centipedes7/9/2008
  Q: We are getting large centipedes in the house at night, are they poisonous? How do we get rid of ...
  A: Centipedes are easy to kill with most household pesticides that have a residual quality. Centipedes ...
grasshopper infestation in CO7/7/2008
  Q: Grasshoppers eat all my flowers (planted mostly in containers) and shrubs. Is there a natural smell ...
  A: Try using a product known as Neem oil to repel grasshoppers. You may also find that a concentrated ...
Sago Palms7/7/2008
  Q: My King Sago Palms are having a really really bad hair day ! On the underside of every leaf are ...
  A: Sago Palms are subject to homopterous pests such as scale insects which have recently been ...
No pest problems yet7/6/2008
  Q: We live in Eastern US - Pgh, PA to be exact and recently I had landscaping done in front of my home. ...
  A: Mulch is being employed by landscapers to a point that becomes counterproductive. Most mulch is ...
Being bitten7/5/2008
  Q: My husband and I and our dog are being eaten alive by some unknown bugs. At first, we thought we ...
  A: For the last few years, we have run into this strange phenomenon with bites that appear continually; ...
feces found on patio7/4/2008
  Q: About every 3-4 days I find feces about the size around as a wooden pencil and 1 - 1 1/2 long. It ...
  A: Feces varying in length, diameter usually consistent, and, for the most part, shiny surface, could ...
Sand Bees7/3/2008
  Q: I have a man made beach at my home by my pool. For 2 years now during the summer I have hundreds of ...
  A: There are no sand bees to my knowledge; however, there are numerous specie of sand wasps all ...
tiny beige bugs that don't die7/3/2008
  Q: My daughter found tiny beige/brown bugs on her comforter and mattress. They don't have wings and ...
  A: Finding tiny beige bugs on comforter an mattress might be from Collembola since you say that they ...
possible bedbugs7/2/2008
  Q: My spouse is currently traveling in China and is due home in 2 days. She has received quite a lot of ...
  A: Bites on the legs are not the usual location for repeated bites by bedbugs. Fleas are the more ...
crawfish mounds7/1/2008
  Q: ID live near some natural springs that drain into a ditch in my front yard. There are a lot of what ...
  A: Other than crayfish, there are mounds produced by shrew, and by moles. The shrew may pile such a ...
frogs in my yard6/29/2008
  Q: Every summer for the past three years frogs have invaded my yard and every morning I find bounds of ...
  A: Frogs are protected in many States. It would be a good idea to contact your agricultural department ...
Bird Mites6/29/2008
  Q: My symptoms are like tiny things-invisible crawling over me and tiny pin prick like stings ...
  A: Bird mites will vacate an empty nest and find you the alternate host. They will not be able to ...
Insect Growth Regulators for fleas6/28/2008
  Q: I have an infestation of fleas in my house, and I have tried almost everything to get rid of them. I ...
  A: Archer or Precor are the insect growth regulators(IGR)of choice. They can be ordered from my ...
mice6/28/2008
  Q: Every year I set mouse trapline in my barn. I catch a lot. This year I have caught 95 mice in less ...
  A: Mice; either deer or house mice reproduce rapidly. On the average house mice will produce 80 young ...
Flies!!!6/23/2008
  Q: I just started opening our kitchen and living room windows. Since then I've been bombarded by flies! ...
  A: Flies in the home without a known source may be the result of flies finding your garbage can. As ...
Termite treatment6/23/2008
  Q: I live in a 1400 square foot cedar siding home on a monolithic concrete slab. (whew) I have evidence ...
  A: Imidaclopred is an excellent termiticide. Dominion has formulated their product now since the ...
more drain flies...6/23/2008
  Q: You answered a drain fly question on 6/15/08. The question sounded so much like our situation that ...
  A: Change the HVAC tubing so that the slime mold is arrested, or remove, clean and return. the floor ...
more info on tree bug question6/22/2008
  Q: I forgot to tell you I am located in Washington, IL near Peoria.
  A: My first answer is appropriate for what I'm seeing; although, I could not enlarge your second ...
ash tree insect damage6/22/2008
  Q: I have an unknown larvae-type bug on my ash tree eating the leaves and laying eggs. The bark ...
  A: Aphid lions are the larvae of a ladybug spp., sometimes these creatures can cover a tree or shrub as ...
pests6/22/2008
  Q: 1st) grubs--what natural remidies work. We have a well & I don't want to contaminate it. When do I ...
  A: There are no natural insecticides such as bacterial or fungal products that have proven successful ...
Moles and above ground pool6/20/2008
  Q: I have an above ground pool and moles. I treated the yard for grubs, etc...in hopes no food, no ...
  A: Moles can be baited. One must locate the spot where moles push up the earth to clean out their ...
sawdust and bugs coming out of holes in our windowsill!6/19/2008
  Q: About a week ago I noticed little tiny piles of sawdust and little tiny holes on our windowsill in ...
  A: These beetles are probably Lytids, but check Anobiids as well on the internet by ggogling them. I'm ...
house pest6/19/2008
  Q: There are numerous transparent wings (5/16") scattered near and on the window sills in the mornings, ...
  A: It sounds as if you are experiencing the winged forms of a Drywood termite infestation, as well as ...
tiny biting thingy6/18/2008
  Q: I keep going out in my yard and getting bitten by these teenie tiny little microscopic creatures. I ...
  A: No-see-ums are what you are describing. I am enclosing a very good review of this pesky creature, ...
holes in yard6/18/2008
  Q: live in wv. holes in yard i think are crabs. how to get rid of. thanks
  A: Holes in the yard as a description all by itself leaves me with a number of possibilities. You did ...
bore bugs/worms?6/17/2008
  Q: I have firewood on 2 ricks(not touching the ground)that were split Jan. and Feb. "08" that have a ...
  A: When you use firewood from an unknown source, you are subject to receiving an infestation of wood ...
Frog and cat control6/17/2008
  Q: I live in a small townhouse with a small front and back yard. I would like your help in getting rid ...
  A: Frogs are in the balance William-- I'm hesitant to promote their extinction; however local. You ...
Fleas, Lice or other?6/17/2008
  Q: I looked through your past answers and I couldn't find a similar question to my problem. I live in ...
  A: Flea beetles are tiny and jump. they are incidental invaders and do not bite. This is a wild ...
sand hornets6/16/2008
  Q: My mother's yard is infested with sand hornets. I've read they can be eliminated by using a bulb ...
  A: There are many wasps belonging to a family of insects known as vespidae; simply called vespids. ...
drain flies6/15/2008
  Q: I have had a problem with drain flies for the past 2-3 years. I am sure that I have identified them ...
  A: Slime mould builds up in drains, condensate tubing such as you have on your hvac system. The flies ...
drain flies6/15/2008
  A: There are several answers to your drain fly question on the George Manning site in the AllExpert ...
tiny black bug.. what is it?6/15/2008
  Q: I am in southwestern Ohio. In spring 2007 I noticed these tiny black bugs emerge on the ceiling of ...
  A: Some small stored grain pests, beetle-like, because they are tiny, may appear as if without wings. ...
Getting rid of silverfish in my apartment6/15/2008
  Q: I have an infestation of silverfish in my apartment which is on the second floor in an apartment ...
  A: Silverfish are starch feeders. They are not enamored with we places such as the bathroom tub; ...
There are worms in my shower6/12/2008
  Q: I share a house with other people, do they maby have worms? Usually I find this little worm in the ...
  A: Centipedes in their early stages of development fit the description. They may be hunting for other ...
What is it?6/10/2008
  Q: For the past two days I've been dealing with these small little, almost microscopic, bug. It is ...
  A: These are probably psychodids, called by many colloquial names such as sand fly, moth fly, sewer ...
bird nests on second story air conditioner site6/10/2008
  Q: George. How can I deter birds from nesting around my window a/c unit on the second story of my ...
  A: Second floors are a handiperson's job with the use of a ladder. The a/c unit should be kept ...
bed bugs6/9/2008
  Q: I went to the dermatologist and was told I have bed bugs. I have since torn apart my apartment and ...
  A: Clothing that has not yet been laundered, will be more attractive to bedbugs. Laundering such ...
rats6/8/2008
  Q: my Mom recently got her engine power cleaned and she suspects that the company damaged the wiring ...
  A: Rats colonize, and as a community, they interact regarding reproduction and food availability. ...
unidentified specimen6/7/2008
  Q: Please help me to determine what this unidentified specimen could be. It was found under my covers, ...
  A: Mouse droppings can be slightly larger than long grain rice. When fresh, a dropping mat have a ...
Bed Bugs!!!!6/4/2008
  Q: I have a bit of a problem and am hoping you can help---I stay at my best friend's condo about half ...
  A: Bedbugs have no relationship with termite tunnels. I have no knowledge of such an association ...
treating carpenter ants while wall is open6/4/2008
  Q: George, We have carpenter ants (Eastern Massachusetts), and have also located the wet rotting wood ...
  A: You are asking excellent carpenter ant questions. I'll answer as follows: 1) Ideally, delay the ...
biting flies6/2/2008
  Q: I was working near the edge of the woods by my house and about 20 - 30 flies appeared. They were ...
  A: Deer and horse flies are the pests that you describe. I have enclosed a remarkable review of these ...
insect i.d.5/29/2008
  Q: my question I live in So. Ca. and I was called to see these tiny insects invading peoples homes. ...
  A: Your clients are experiencing the unearthing of a massive false chinchbug infestation. The entire ...
termites5/28/2008
  Q: I have discovered that termites have visited my house and garages. I have talked to 3 professional ...
  A: Termite evidence and no sign of current activity may be good news. Your previous use of brand name, ...
animal droppings5/28/2008
  Q: I live in central Texas and have noticed dropping on my porch that are about 1/2 inch long and has a ...
  A: Droppings(feces,scat) are usually identifiable. There are scat keys available on the Internet that ...
roaches5/27/2008
  Q: I need help. We live in Maryland (close to DC). For the past a couple months, I have found 3 roaches ...
  A: Pennsylvania wood roach is native to most of North America. It will survive all seasons out of ...
God, I hope you can help me5/27/2008
  Q: Ok, where to start? I have a dog and two cats. I moved to a place in TN, about 45 minutes north of ...
  A: Tea tree oil diluted with an equal amount of mineral oil, placed in a cosmetic style atomizer and ...
worms5/25/2008
  Q: i need help! my gueser was replaced a few months ago and since then iv had a few occasions where ...
  A: A small fly may be seen too. It has wings that fold in a tent-like fashion giving the appearance of ...
Tiny worms on silk in my kitchen5/23/2008
  Q: I have just noticed teeny, tiny worm like/caterpillar like creatures crawling all over my kitchen. ...
  A: It sounds as if you have a breakout of Indian Meal moth larvae. They do spin a silk-like strand as ...
tick/heartworm/flea medication5/23/2008
  Q: Is there any oral tablet medication that can control all ticks? I get a little frustrated when I ...
  A: A pill for all possible diseases is not a reasonable quest. The need to be alert for heartworm is ...
invasion5/23/2008
  Q: It started when my wife & I started collecting the proper food scraps for our new composter. It was ...
  A: Fungus gnats are the likely problem. I am enclosing a bulletin that will take you through the ...
warehouse beetle follow up question5/22/2008
  Q: George, I have a follow-up question to the reply from Rene below. We had an Orkin technician come ...
  A: Warehouse beetles(Trogoderma variabile) has been described quite adequately by Rene in the original ...
my oak tree is dying5/21/2008
  Q: I have a large oak tree in my yard that at times smells like vinegar and has black at about 2 1/2 to ...
  A: Insects are attracted to the vinegar smell coming from below the cambium layer of your oak tree. ...
worms in my shower5/21/2008
  Q: Followup question to: Jpratt writes on 2008-03-29 18:58:42 We've had this problem also, and our ...
  A: These flies are of a family known as Psychodidae. Which species you see is not important. They are ...
starlings5/19/2008
  Q: they upset all the other birds not to mention all the droppings they leave behind. hope you can help ...
  A: Isolating a bird species for exclusion is a highly daunting task. I believe that the device known ...
Preventing Yellow Jackets and Hornets5/16/2008
  Q: We live near Eugene, Oregon on 4 acres, most of which are conifer trees. Last year was our first ...
  A: You describe your four acres as heavily planted in conifers. You state that you have been seeing ...
stink bugs5/7/2008
  Q: How do I kill and control them in my garden? I live in Delaware and last year my squash and zucchini ...
  A: A combination of actions will help you attack this stinkbug problem. The use of a product known as ...
children and pest control5/1/2008
  Q: Should 20 month old babies be in the home while pest control in there treating the home?
  A: Pesticides are defined by their labels, and, MSDS sheets are part and parcel of each pesticide by ...
Fleas4/28/2008
  Q: We are having a serious problem with a flea infestation in our house. We have one cat, but he never ...
  A: Most professionals will use an insect growth regulator mixed with the pesticide of choice. The ...
small insects4/28/2008
  Q: I found these small insects witch we found them a couple of years back on our bedroom and we found ...
  A: The fact that they are seen only at night, and are only seen in the area of bathroom and kitchen, ...
Abatement Suggestion from Pro4/23/2008
  Q: I have contacted a few (licensed, legal) pest control firms in the area about a problem I have been ...
  A: Dichlorvos, 2,2-Dichlorovinyl dimethyl phosphate is an active ingredient in some plastic strips that ...
insect problem4/16/2008
  Q: I am having a problem that is directly related to my dog. For the past few monthes i have been ...
  A: "Paper Mites" Pin prick-like biting sensations, usually on exposed skin and often producing ...
Carpenter Ants4/16/2008
  Q: Okay, I recently purchased a 30 year old home in NW Washington. During the inspection, we noticed ...
  A: Washington is known to be one of the most carpenter ant infested States in the USA. Your questions ...
Rodent Control4/16/2008
  Q: I have a small boat stored under our summer cabin. The boat has exposed areas of plastic and foam ...
  A: When you define your boat situation as rats, mice, or other small critters, the overall ...
lawn insect problems4/15/2008
  Q: I have a mixture of tall red fescue with a blend of blue grass that is supposed to help reseed, in ...
  A: Sod webworm adults are moths, that can present a problem for your lawn. Browning lawns can be the ...
Small Brown Insect4/14/2008
  Q: For the past three years I have been having problems with small brown insects. They seem to appear ...
  A: small brown beetle-like insects as well as round black, white spotted insects keeps me guessing. I ...
moving with termites4/13/2008
  Q: We are currently in the process of buying a house. We have rented a house for 3 years, and now ...
  A: Moving with termites is a virtual impossibility as regards the in ground specie, unless you carry ...
Seriously creepy bugs in home4/10/2008
  Q: I moved into this apartment last summer; its a very old brownstone in the city and has about 35 ...
  A: You are describing what is known as a centipede. As you relate an increase in german cockroaches, ...
Bed bugs4/9/2008
  Q: My current apartment is infested with bed bugs, and the landlord's pest control agency is going to ...
  A: Bedbugs have a high reproductive rate, live as long as a year, and can last without a food supply ...
Caterpillar/slug in shower4/8/2008
  Q: I found a 1.25-inch long slimy caterpillar type thing in my shower. I have a septic tank. My house ...
  A: Heather, Your question regarding slimy, multi-legged creature found at your shower drain was ...
Fly's4/8/2008
  Q: I have a major problem with fly's coming out of hibernation at my house and what could i get to ...
  A: These questions have been answered for previous questioners, but I'm having difficulty locating them ...
Pet safe way to get rid of stink bugs4/7/2008
  Q: Have just moved or Central Fl & have a lot of stink bugs in my yard. I have a dog & cat & don't ...
  A: Most of the recent questions I have received were from the East Coast. Please look for the ...
bombs4/4/2008
  Q: Due to a plumbing situation, I have a hole in one of my walls. My mother suggested that since I ...
  A: A self release bomb in a plumbing wall where roaches reside, can be helpful. So, yes to your ...
Lawn pests4/2/2008
  Q: I live in northern South Dakota. "Night Crawlers", are numerous in the area, and my yard seems to ...
  A: This category is a complex of species that includes night crawlers, garden earthworms and red worms ...
Leaf cutter ants3/28/2008
  Q: They are a long established problem here near Houston, TX. and are once again destroying everything ...
  A: Control of Texas leaf cutting ants is difficult. Although plants can be protected temporarily ...
Termite Prevention on Land3/27/2008
  Q: My in-laws had an old mobile home that was recently removed. Underneath the house were piles of ...
  A: Removing wood and soil aggregate from the surface where termites remain active can help you prepare ...
spiders3/27/2008
  Q: im just wondering what states black widows are usually not found in because i will be moving out of ...
  A: Black widow spiders are found throughout the USA to some extent, although not always plentiful. ...
Great big flies3/26/2008
  Q: I have great big flies all over the front and back of my brick home here in Va.Beach and when I open ...
  A: Sarcophagids, known as flesh flies, will often hang out in certain spots such as outside stairwells, ...
clothes moths3/25/2008
  Q: I have used moth balls and those plastic hanger things but they are still eating my expensive ...
  A: Associated with the holes in your expensive woolens, could also be small moths occasionally seen ...
lawn pest control3/22/2008
  Q: How do i control ants,tics,black widow spiders,fleas,grubs in my lawn?. I just put down some weed & ...
  A: Danny, You can paste this URL into your address bar and get the information that you will need to ...
gray squirrels3/21/2008
  Q: i have a eight week old gray squirrel. she has mange mites. do you know what to get to cure her?
  A: Mange mites can be addressed by treating eruptions with dabs of kerosene or and then applying tea ...
Big ants3/21/2008
  Q: I live in eastern Canada (Quebec).Last summer I noticed quite a few large black ants in my kitchen ...
  A: When you are seeing large black ants in February and March, they area living within your building. ...
help3/16/2008
  Q: i am taking a course in pest control.i am working on my core manual and my structual license.i write ...
  A: Spray Mix Calculations H. Willard Downs and William W. Casady Department of Agricultural Engineering ...
Insect control in a home3/12/2008
  Q: I am new to Florida, coming from the northern climate and have a question about our new 2 story home ...
  A: Since you already have termite protection, you want to be certain that thorough inspections are ...
small brown excrement found in kitchen draw3/8/2008
  Q: We have found small hard brown bits in the draw where we keep our knives an forks. At first we ...
  A: Small brown excrement may come from mice even though you have no food there. Not knowing where you ...
Small black ants3/7/2008
  Q: We just moved to Tampa, Florida. Before we moved in the house was vacant and had a lot of dead bugs ...
  A: A boric acid barrier can be helpful in reducing the foraging ants. This may not halt the activity ...
ant bait3/7/2008
  Q: I read your posts about getting rid of small ants. I've tried everything I could and I'd like to ...
  A: www.bugstop.net is my supplier, Steve. You can reach them requesting the product,Advance Fine ...
Rats in my dryer3/6/2008
  Q: I recently found out that a rat has made a home inside my dryer. I peared into the exhaust duct and ...
  A: Rats in your drier can be of concern regarding the virus known as Hantavirus. Western States have ...
Strange insect problem3/5/2008
  Q: I have encountered a number of small insects which a tree specialist told me were "stink bugs". I ...
  A: Stink bugs overwinter as adults. Towards late September these true bugs can find shelter within the ...
Cicada killers3/5/2008
  Q: Two years ago they showed up. Last year they were worse - about 100 nests in my lawn. this year I ...
  A: You may have experienced the 17 year Cicada one or two years ago. The cicada killer crawls down a ...
Slugs3/4/2008
  Q: I live in Richmond, VA (approx. 2 hours south of D.C.) I have slugs come into my house (How they do ...
  A: Slugs will not travel along a dry area of floor. Please give me location in relation to moisture ...
Phorid flies3/3/2008
  Q: I live in Southern California. Over the last month or so we have had quite a bit of rain, which is ...
  A: Phorid flies, when not flying, have a rapid erratic darting kind of a locomotion. They run before ...
Scratching in bedroom wall3/3/2008
  Q: I am about to lose my mind because of the scratching sound coming from one corner area of my bedroom ...
  A: Where you have a crawl space below a scratching sound in your wall, and where you are located in ...
stink bugs living in sink drains?2/28/2008
  Q: This winter I have a infestation of what looks like brown marmorated stink bugs in my house. I've ...
  A: If you do really have BMSB(brown marmorated stink bugs), your State Agricultural department would ...
mouthparts of mantodea2/23/2008
  Q: George Manning Would you be kind enouph to review our research article(A comparative study of ...
  A: Naheed M. Sooro: Please forgive my delay in answering you. I have been away for a few days, and ...
stinkbugs in Delaware2/18/2008
  Q: I just read the letter sent to you by Kyle in Pennsylvania, and I've got the same problems with ...
  A: Greetings Barbara-- I'm enclosing the answer mailed to Ikammer, and to which I directed Kyle. ...
Follow up question to tiny ant problem2/17/2008
  Q: George! I read your answer to the person who had the question about the tiny ants in her house. I ...
  A: I understand your impatience with baiting techniques. The condition would go away for a very few ...
Feces/whipworms/ringworms and pets2/15/2008
  Q: I live in Northern NJ, I have two dogs, they recently have bee diagnosed with both ring and whip ...
  A: I am not able to visualize the droppings containing seeds. You can send me a close-up digital image ...
insect2/12/2008
  Q: I have seen a worm in my bathroom yesterday night. It tries to hide in dark places and walks very ...
  A: You are welcome to send me a specimen, or take a digital picture and e-mail it to my address posted ...
pet safe termite control2/11/2008
  Q: We have an interior exposed beam that has termites. What can a company use that won't harm my pets?
  A: Not all termite specie are the same. Depending on the species, and where you live, an answer is ...
cockroaches in cabinets2/10/2008
  Q: live in florida, have pest control service, occasionaly have roach inside, ? is there anything to ...
  A: Having roaches in cabinets occasionally sounds like a low level but developing population. Not ...
Carpenter ants2/7/2008
  Q: We recently had a leaky roof and some carpenter ants in the house. We had the roof and all the ...
  A: On face value, you did everything right. Looking further, your thought that you may have "hit the ...
washing clothes2/3/2008
  Q: when you are out in the field,i mean like spraying for cockroaches,fumagtion,how often do you change ...
  A: Most of the time, we don't receive spray back from products used; however, it is useful to carry an ...
one or more type of gnat-sized crawlers in house2/3/2008
  Q: Mr. Manning, thank you in advance for your help, I will really appreciate it! I have been renting ...
  A: It might be helpful to know where you are living. Where climate remains warm throughout the year, ...
Rats and Mice1/29/2008
  Q: Live in Miami and we have become over run by little grey mice and can't seem to get ahold of the ...
  A: This is a revised edition of the original sent to you. I often use questions answered on our ...
Harmful insects to a log cabin in NH1/27/2008
  Q: Last summer we finished building our retirement home in NH - a pine log home. We continue to work ...
  A: Exterior spraying in late April to mid-May can reduce the presence of wasps before they get started ...
small flying insect1/27/2008
  Q: I'm sorry it's so mundane, but it's a big deal to me. In the last week, I've noticed a few small ...
  A: Your plants may be infested by one of the piercing-sucking invertebrates. Spider mites,thrips, ...
boring insects in woodpile1/26/2008
  Q: I live in SoCal and have a woodpile a few feet from house that appears to having boring insects. ...
  A: The combined clues that you provide, the oozing sap and the exit holes could point to a long horn ...
Unusual Sounds - Frustrated1/25/2008
  Q: George, I moved into a brand new home in April. Around October of last year, I started noticing an ...
  A: The combined sounds that you hear may not all be the same animals. The fact that you hear sounds ...
drain bugs1/25/2008
  Q: I have had drain bugs in my home for a year and a half and I am desperately looking to get rid of ...
  A: You refer to drain bugs which only tells me that there is a chronic insect condition. I'm asking ...
Stink bug invasion!1/24/2008
  Q: I have been getting major stink bug problems in my room. One day i got rid of 24 stink bugs in one ...
  A: I have answered the identical question only weeks ago. I'll search for it and either refer you to ...
Squirrels1/21/2008
  Q: I have been trapping and relocating squirrels for a decade using peanut butter as bait. Beginning ...
  A: Greetings Ted-- The change in taste preference is an unknown to me. Possibly, squirrels are seeing ...
career info1/19/2008
  Q: doing pest control,if i was working for someone like a pest control company,could i make about 15 ...
  A: I thought that I sent you an answer to a former career question. I'll resend it, but answer the ...
Ants and worms in new apartment1/18/2008
  Q: I recently moved into a new apartment. Since I moved in I have been trying to get rid of ants that ...
  A: South Africa embraces a whole different Eco-system than my part of the World; however, there are ...
career1/15/2008
  Q: i am very interested doing this type of work.where can i get the training in ontario canada for this ...
  A: You will find that our work can be very rewarding. If you enjoy people and care to be helpful, ...
Termite and Mice: Professionals1/14/2008
  Q: We've had a couple of inspections regarding termite prevention and a possible mouse problem (living ...
  A: Your questions are clear and well thought out. I'll answer your mouse inquiry first. As mice ...
Termite Bond1/13/2008
  Q: I am a new home owner, I purchased my home almost a year ago and I recently received a bill from the ...
  A: You call the relationship that your building has had with the termite company, a bond. If this is a ...
tiny ants1/11/2008
  Q: I live in a slab house that I purchased over the summer. I have tiny ants everywhere. The ...
  A: Your floor may be radiant heated, have below floor hvac ducts or possibly have radiators. All these ...
Kitchen bugs1/4/2008
  Q: Walked into my dark kitchen early this morning and turned on the light... there were very tiny bugs ...
  A: Your report is quite well stated. You've described a creature that is soft-bodied enough to leave a ...
growth on walls that look like worms1/1/2008
  Q: I recently noticed a poor cover-up job on an exterior wall that had paint over duct tape.The duct ...
  A: I'd like to help you. The photo sent to me is probably good enough but leaves me guessing what ...
flying insect12/29/2007
  Q: I live in northern new jersey. These bugs are octagon shaped with four legs.They lift the bug off ...
  A: You seem to be talking about a true Stinkbug. There are many specie and they all belong to a family ...
Rat Droppings Clean Up12/28/2007
  Q: I have a house that has been vacant for about 1 yr. Furniture and personal belongings are still in ...
  A: You do have concern that is real and warranted. Rat urine is always a carrier of Leptospyrosis, a ...
Black poop in my attic12/25/2007
  Q: I night i heard sounds coming from my attic,i went to check it out and found Small dark black ...
  A: You mention roof rat. If you live on the West Coast, roof rats are present. Along the Southeastern ...
small like worm in my shower12/18/2007
  Q: Please help, my house is 2yrs old. I have a shower of tile, lately there have been this funny smell ...
  A: Please describe these worm-like creatures. Do they have legs? Do they have segmentation? What ...
Mice12/15/2007
  Q: I've owned my home for 5 years and never aware of any mice....I found droppings and torn goody bags ...
  A: A female mouse becomes pregnant at six weeks and during nursing becomes pregnant again. Food supply ...
powder post beetles12/11/2007
  Q: I boght a house 3 tears ago with an old post beam barn. There was no sign of beetles when we first ...
  A: Powder post beetles are a generic name for wood boring beetles. You say there are piles of dust. ...
a strange fly11/29/2007
  Q: this morning in my bathroom I found a strange looking fly. I is the same colour as a house fly ...
  A: Glynis-- You won't be able to breed this fly. It will require another fly of the same species but ...
animsl ID11/27/2007
  Q: Under our enclosed deck there is a large collection of animal scat. It is all gathered in the same ...
  A: I don't know Trix cereal. If the droppings are about 3/8 to 5/8 of an inch in diameter, round and ...
bites11/24/2007
  Q: I moved to Central CA where there are cows/farms. I get bit every night. It seems like the same ...
  A: I've also had challenges, unexpectedly, to an allergic reaction to a sulfadrug. Unbelievable, whole ...
white grubs11/8/2007
  Q: Are these the grubs that eat grass roots? Will they eat my newly planted perennials as well? Is ...
  A: Helo David: You dug up grubs. They are the larvae of beetles of the family, Scarabidae which are ...
scratching, chirruping-like sounds from my dryer?11/7/2007
  Q: I will do my best to describe these sounds... In a regular pattern, something makes a chirping-water ...
  A: Jen, I'm also puzzled. If this is happening between 1AM and 5AM, you may have flying squirrels. ...
fly breed/living conditions11/6/2007
  Q: I have a question about flies. My landlord tried to accuse us of having maggots living in old food ...
  A: Knowing what kind of flies you see would be helpful. House flies are dark grayish in color. Bottle ...
ants in my dash11/4/2007
  Q: i just bought a used 1007 buick park ave. and i notice that every day a see an ant or two up where ...
  A: Not knowing where you live, I'll refer to warmer climates where ants will still be active. During ...
Rat Epidemic11/3/2007
  Q: I am an owner of a three unit building built in 1896 in Lakeview/Lincoln Park. Since I bought the ...
  A: Wow Matt! You couldn't have picked a better person to help you out We have operated American Eagle ...
Holes in my front lawn10/30/2007
  Q: I live in South Carolina, about 30 miles inland from Myrtle Beach and about 3 miles from the Little ...
  A: May I apologize for not finding your inquiry. I did not spot it on my e-mail. I was dropped from ...
large hole under porch5/15/2007
  Q: I have a large hole in my flowerbed leading underneath our back enclosed porch. At first I thought ...
  A: Courtney, Depending on the headroom below the deck, the possibilities can be skunks, possum, ...
pest control in my lawn5/14/2007
  Q: What do you recommend for treating my yard to get rid of or at least control spiders, ants, fleas ...
  A: To Brian from George Manning, Entomologist Ants Ant Baits Dusts Aerosols Liquid ...
mice/moles5/10/2007
  Q: I'v had this proble for years and i was wondering what i can do to kill these pests?
  A: Clarence-- May I suggest that you purchase oil of mustard or garlic or both. You can also plant in ...
teeny tiny black bugs5/3/2007
  Q: I live in a newly built community and my home is only about 9 months old.. Just this morning I ...
  A: Jackie-- I've been away. Sorry for not getting to your question. It would be simpler to receive a ...
Noises4/12/2007
  Q: I have been hearing some scratching like sounds time to time in our attic (I'll say), we have never ...
  A: Tammy-- I apologize for not answering your question. You have either squirrels or raccoons. ...
Bed Bugs4/7/2007
  Q: I have bedbugs in my apt. I got a use mattress over 7 months back and apt managemtn says bedbugs ...
  A: The answer supplied you by Jule was correct. If you can show ownership that you had no bites until ...
termite and infested wall4/6/2007
  Q: To George Manning.This might not be in your expertise but I'll ask you anyway or anybody else for ...
  A: A saturated area that cannot completely drain may not deliver the necessary concentration of ...
squrrels4/2/2007
  Q: house has been empty for 2 months on return it looks like the wood around a lot of my windows has ...
  A: You have experienced a situation whereby a squirrel or more has wandered into the home and not been ...
Termite control3/29/2007
  Q: Confusing info from multiple sources! Five-year-old house in Alabama, ranch style, one level, slab ...
  A: Your correct about renewals. They represent a form of insurance. Has an inspection uncovered new ...
birds in soffit3/24/2007
  Q: George;Have birds in my soffit,want to get birds removed, so that I can repair soffit.Is there a ...
  A: Bob: I attempted answer you last week. I don't now why the answer did not reach you. I will ...
Leaf Cutter Ants3/21/2007
  Q: Is there an effective way of preventing them from destroying a plant. I am not into chemicals if ...
  A: Natural approaches that you might use are as follows: Spread wetable sulfur powder over the ...
cockroaches3/6/2007
  Q: I do not have a cockroach problem, but want to eliminate using our pest control person because I ...
  A: Sounds as if you live in a southern state. I'm copying a site from the Internet pages that may be ...
Barn Wood-Powder Post Beetles3/2/2007
  Q: Thanks, BrianI didn't know how replies from this website work as far as your answer being sent to my ...
  A: Brian-- There are a number of techniques available but the one that would be most abrupt would be ...
Powder Post Beetles2/26/2007
  Q: Before you set in on me preaching that what I've done wasn't so smart please help if you can. I ...
Beavers2/26/2007
  Q: I live on Lake Lanier, a Beaver is trying to make my dock his home. What is the best way to run him ...
  A: Carl: I'm an entomologist working in the pest control industry;however, I dislike killing unless ...
ants in house2/23/2007
  Q: What is the best time of yr to spray inside and outside of ants? We have a problem with the small ...
  A: It would be helpful to know where you live. There are so many ant species that invade homes, their ...
ANTS EVERYWHERE!2/21/2007
  Q: The ant problem at my house is getting out of control! It first started in the kitchen and after ...
  A: Jessica, thank you for your inquiry about persistent ants. It would help to know the species. ...
unknown animal/critter2/19/2007
  Q: I live in the Cleveland area. The other night I heard an animal moving around behind my wall/ under ...
  A: You've helped me visualize your situation through your excellent description of this unseen animal. ...
bugs coming in through closed windows2/12/2007
  Q: We have lived in a (Philadelphia suburb) home for 26 years without any particular or unusual insect ...
  A: Your question directed to Julie-Lynne reached me. You are welcome to redirect to her, and I'm ...
Ants in house2/10/2007
  Q: I've owned my house for almost 20yrs. Occasionally over the yrs, I used ant baits in the summer for ...
  A: Sonia-- Your question regarding carpenter ants was clear and full of good information. It is ...
very tiny black bugs not sure what they are2/5/2007
  Q: counters, inside cabinets (food boxes etc) and if i am not mistaken i think their eggs are kinda ...
  A: Shannon: I'm sorry that your question remains unanswered. The computer I was using in my office ...
Mice?1/31/2007
  Q: I believe I may have a mouse. Where I store my dogs food I noticed 2 holes on each side of the bag. ...
  A: You have the right idea when placing this food source in a tight fitting container. It should be a ...
book mites1/30/2007
  Q: I own a bookshop in Dartmouth, Devon, and have a customer whose personal book collection is infested ...
  A: There are no creatures known as book mites. There are, however, insects commonly known as book ...
Help1/20/2007
  Q: Help! I donít know what I have in my wall, but it is about to drive me nuts. I have set snap ...
  A: Although you have mentioned many experiences relating to home invaders, the three points that are ...
reoccurance of roaches1/20/2007
  Q: I have been getting pest treatments from terminix for a while now, but a couple of months ago, I had ...
  A: Often, when spraying while also baiting roaches, the spray will repel roaches. The possibility of ...
gnats12/25/2006
  Q: when i first moved into my apt. back in sept, i noticed that i never have flies in my apt. but i ...
  A: You asked a question regarding gnats. Did you ever receive an answer? I've looked at questions in ...
Termite swarmers12/18/2006
  Q: We just had a large amount of swarmers in our kitchen just about a week ago. We live in New Mexico. ...
  A: I looked in the general file of questions and found yours seemingly unanswered. Would you please ...
White Flies12/10/2006
  Q: How do you get rid of these things ? please...
  A: I'm sorry that I have not answered your question about whiteflies. I think you directed the ...

All Questions in This Category

Pest Control

George Manning

Top Expert on this page