Pest Control/Questions Answered by Expert B. Keith Bales

SubjectDate Asked
bugs in house9/13/2009
  Q: I am having trouble with beetle type bugs and roaches in my house. i have tried many sprays and ...
  A: Jennifer, I am answering this question in a manner that may not be exactly what you want, but I am ...
CRICKETS indoors9/7/2009
  Q: I have spectracide liquid--if I spray outside will that help get rid of crickets? These big black ...
  A: Ellen, Spectricide is a commercial marketing mane and does not tell me the chemical. Please read and ...
silverfish8/31/2009
  Q: I would like to know how to get rid of silverfish? They keep coming out in my kitchen and bathroom. ...
  A: Elsa, If the company WAS contracted for silverfish control. They have done an initial treatment and ...
granular piles on floof8/30/2009
  Q: Behind our washer and dryer we have found two or three grey fine granular piles a couple of inches ...
  A: Tom, With out more info and possibly some pics I am only guessing. Ants will many times make piles ...
red ants in closet8/28/2009
  Q: Every season I have this ant problem. The ants go marching through my apartment and create a line ...
  A: Lucy, Ants are a real challenge even for the pro's. I strongly recommend this job be turned over to ...
stink bugs and pesticides8/27/2009
  Q: I had a stink bug problem last year and am trying to prevent overwintering on and in my house ...
  A: Jim, As a rule use the smallest amount of pesticide needed to do the job. If the entrance points are ...
Ants8/8/2009
  Q: we have little black ants in a RV trailer, we found the main nest and got rid of them but are still ...
  A: Mark, The ants you are seeing are likely Little Black ants or odorous house ants. However there are ...
Small Jumping bugs in Bathroom and by doors8/6/2009
  Q: I have these small jumping bugs in my bathroom tub. I have washed the tub repeatedly with bleach, ...
  A: Nikki, These pest appear to be immature spring tails. These pest can be controlled with pesticides, ...
little brown bug8/4/2009
  Q: we keep finding these little brown beetle, bug in our house. Mainly on the bed, carpet and other ...
  A: Krista, This pest appears to be a stored product pest. I could not see well enough to do better. ...
crickets8/3/2009
  Q: I have had an infestation of camel back crickets. my crawl space has been enclosed with a plastic ...
  A: Howard, I do not like the sound of this anyway. If the crawl area was properly done as a enclosed ...
Ground Mounds7/30/2009
  Q: I have some mounds in my yard that do not look like ant mounds. They have a small build up of dirt ...
  A: Brenda, I wish I had a picture and if possible send one. Size is a big part of the puzzle. If you ...
What can I do about this insect?7/30/2009
  Q: I live on a pond and we have millions and millions of very tiny gray insects. They seem harmless ...
  A: Mary, I sounds as if they area type of gnat. Please collect some and have them identified at the ...
Weird noise coming from sump pump in basement7/30/2009
  Q: Recently, there's been this unusual animal like noise coming from the basement sump pump. It is very ...
  A: Sam, The mechanics of the sump can vary so much from type of sump, installation method, etc. I would ...
Carpenter ants7/29/2009
  Q: I have carpenter ants outside the house, not inside. I tried the boric acid-sugar-water paste, but ...
  A: Debbie, I hate to tell you but Boric Acid IS very toxic if ingested. Safe on the skin etc. toxic if ...
Carpenter Ants7/29/2009
  Q: I have a small camp in a pine stand in Maine. When I bought the place I found a carpenter ant colony ...
  A: Cathy, I believe you will need to get educated a little more on carpenter ants and their Biology. ...
drain flies7/19/2009
  Q: I have what I believe to be drain or septic flies on the inside rim of my bathroom. I have bleached ...
  A: Michele, The MOST important thing you can do is to take some to the local extension agent or the ...
confused7/18/2009
  Q: ok so here is what happened. i am staying with my mom in florida and my worst fear came true, ...
  A: Brittany Boric acid will not attract nor repel roaches, particularly in that form. Boric acid is ...
carpenter ants7/17/2009
  Q: We have noticed we get carpenter ants in the summer for the past few years. Recently, I called an ...
  A: Eileen, Carpenter Ants can be tough critter. follow these steps. 1. Please get a positive ID. ...
Maple Bugs7/12/2009
  Q: I have so many maple bugs that are everywere.... Last fall they were so bad. Is there anything that ...
  A: Stephanie, I believe what you are referring to is what we call a Box Elder Bug.(Black and orange). ...
Brown House Moth7/9/2009
  Q: For many months now, maybe since around Christmas, I have had a problem with what I think are brown ...
  A: Anna, Here in the states we have several of these pest that are generally referred to as stored ...
Ants Ants Ants Everywhere!7/9/2009
  Q: What is the best tactic to get rid of these ugly pests. I found them in my sunroom crawling out of ...
  A: Mica, Ants are the most prolific pest we in the industry deal with today. They have infested the ...
tiny brown or black bugs7/5/2009
  Q: I noticed many tiny black or brown bugs in my shower (it looks like they're coming from the window ...
  A: John, Without actually seeing them this will be an educated Guess. I would suggest you take some to ...
Termites7/3/2009
  Q: We are staying in an apartment presently where we have found the white slug like termites eating ...
  A: Tricia, My answer will be limited due to the limited knowledge I have about the pest in your ...
spiders on pier6/24/2009
  Q: I live on a lake in North Carolina, and every night out on the pier there are spiders that like to ...
  A: Clay, Many of the available pesticides will control spiders very well. BUT the problem you have here ...
water intrusion/pest fears6/23/2009
  Q: if not, I understand. 1. Water intrusion-I bought a manufactured home ...
  A: Kathy, Sorry for the delay. The notifications (I have a question waiting) were getting dumped into ...
Red Spiders6/21/2009
  Q: I live in Southeastern Ontario Canada, and I am finding it weird that I am seeing those micro-mini ...
  A: kris, From the ID. I can not be sure, but I also believe you have Clover Mites. They come and go in ...
Residential landscape for pest control6/19/2009
  Q: Live in southeast PA...what is best to put around our brick home to help keep ants termites away ...
  A: Robert, Don't blame your landscape. Ants are a big problem all across the country. The interesting ...
Moths6/18/2009
  Q: I have noticed a LARGE amount of moths in and around the screens in my house. I went to open a ...
  A: Suzy, I am not able to give you any real answers until we have a better Identification on the pest. ...
FLEAS!6/17/2009
  Q: My name is Louis from downtown Toronto, Canada. I recently found out how a larva of a flea looked ...
  A: Louis, With all this information I am still not comfortable to recommend any specific action or ...
earwigs6/8/2009
  Q: Cant stand them.Airwigs,there all over, how can we get rid of them? Outside of cause.it makes for ...
  A: Linda, Earwigs eat just about any organic material. They are associated with high moisture levels ...
Unidentified mound in Window frame6/4/2009
  Q: Hard to explain without a picture but here goes. There is a black'ish/brown'ish mound that appears ...
  A: Francis, You are right it is hard to explain and even harder to identify with the limited info. ...
Flies problem6/4/2009
  Q: recently I found out that I have a flies problem in the back of the house, as you can see in the ...
  A: Asaf, Nice to communicate with one of our friends in Israel. The key to controlling any pest is ...
Termite Eradication6/2/2009
  Q: I have discovered some drywood termites infesting my attic in Southern CA. As I work to get bids ...
  A: Sara, Termites do not consume huge amounts of wood in short periods of time. So as far as an amount ...
roaches5/30/2009
  Q: Jack, Thanks for your time. I live in a wooded area in PA. I have seen large roaches outside on ...
  A: Chris, Sorry for the delay. I just lost my Lab. My Buddy. Erlich is a good company, But the tech ...
Small black bugs5/28/2009
  Q: In the past few weeks very small black bugs have started appearing on our kitchen counters. They are ...
  A: Amanda, I would be doing you a disservice to just make a guess with the limited ID. But please take ...
identify insect from feces5/27/2009
  Q: The only sign I see is a fine black sand like material on my basement block wall and piles at the ...
  A: Don, Several pest or other items this can be associated with. Do you see any insects. Crickets, ...
Sugar Ants5/26/2009
  Q: We are having problems with sugar ants through out our house. They alternate rooms so we can't ...
  A: Mark, The term "sugar ants" is very common, but is to vague to really be of much help. The place to ...
Carpenter ants5/25/2009
  Q: I live in a country subdivision of approximately 50 residents and the whole area seems to be over ...
  A: Ken, This would seem a little weird. However --- insects, like all life in the wild do not follow ...
Black Widow5/19/2009
  Q: I live in Ireland and recently got back from Morocco,a week after i got back i found a black shiny ...
  A: Alan, Wow --very interesting. Black widows are found in many country's. The widow group of spiders ...
black widow5/17/2009
  Q: ok, i know i'm going to sound paranoid, but when i went down to my basement today i swear to god i ...
  A: Shiela, Black widows are poisonous. The reaction depends on the amount of venom injected, the ...
sewer insects crickets?5/15/2009
  Q: We live in a home 50 years old in NC. The home was built on a slab and we are on city water and ...
  A: Linda, As I have stated many times to many e-mail questions. There can be no question as to the ID ...
drain flies5/14/2009
  Q: We have had a problem with drain flies in our house for several years. We have tried the gels in ...
  A: Maureen, Lets start with the first thing in any application. ARE you 100 sure from professional ...
Potato Bugs5/14/2009
  Q: Do potato Bugs travel alone? in pairs?? or groups???
  A: Maria, I have never seen any information on the subject as stated. The best recent information I ...
Tiny white insects5/13/2009
  Q: Ick! I discovered very tiny, white,slow moving insects on the exterior of my refrigerator. At first ...
  A: Lori, Identification is the key. Frankly I do not understand how a professional pest management ...
How to get rid of Carpet Ants5/3/2009
  Q: I wanted to know if you know how to get rid of carpet ants without finding the nest? I'm unsure ...
  A: Tamara, I am assuming you are meaning Carpenter Ants. Finding the colony site is very important for ...
spiders5/1/2009
  Q: yesterday i found a spider in my house and killed it today i found another one in the same room ...
  A: Amber, The spiders are there for the same reason anything else lives any where, FOOD, WATER, ...
spider bait4/21/2009
  Q: Along with the question submitted to you earlier about BLACK ANT control, I forgot to include this ...
  A: Kerman, NO spider bait. Spiders eat live insects. Reduce the amount of "food" for the spiders and ...
ant control4/21/2009
  Q: What brand of bait could I use to control BLACK ANTS around the home? I've tried the usual ...
  A: Kerman, The key to controlling any pest is proper ID. You or I must have the proper Id of the ant. ...
Mosquito Control4/20/2009
  Q: I am a final year chemical engineering student from South Africa. I am investigating the potential ...
  A: Sonya, To my knowledge this is a new one. As I am sure you are aware mosquito's are attracted to the ...
Help identifying an insect please.4/20/2009
  Q: I found a maggot looking insect that ate a hole through my bathroom floor. The hole is about 1/2 cm ...
  A: Andrew, I will answer your last question first. Yes you should be concerned. It is vital that you ...
termites4/19/2009
  Q: We just bought a home in North Port Florida that is going on 2 years old, it is all block, we have ...
  A: Todd, There is no question you need continued protection for termites. The question is what type and ...
termintes/carpenter ants4/17/2009
  Q: We live on Long Island and have discovered that we have both termites and carpenter ants. Got ...
  A: Judy, First -do not choose a company by the price and Hire the company not the product. Termites ...
RED ANTS IN THE ADIRONDACKS4/14/2009
  Q: I have a red ant problem that has taken over an area where we have a well at our summer home. This ...
  A: Tom, with out more knowledge on the type of ant it is difficult. But as a general comment i can ...
termites4/13/2009
  Q: Three weeks ago, I had a swarm of termites in my second floor tub. After some estimates from ...
  A: Michelle, Termites are a serious and complicated pest. It requires a lot of knowledge and skills to ...
Riddex4/9/2009
  Q: Are the Riddex plug-in electronic insect repellant units actually effective?...and for termites too? ...
  A: Bill, Lets answer the most important one first. TERMITES-- A BIG NO. No known device has had any ...
moth4/8/2009
  Q: Each year about this time (spring)tiny moths black and grey-y (very light colored appear in my ...
  A: Nora, With the available info I can only be very general. Insects have a biological clock whether ...
ants3/29/2009
  Q: I have tiny reddish black ants coming into my house through the boards of my hardwood flooring. My ...
  A: Michelin, Ants and slabs can be a challenge even for the pros. It is going to be imperative to hire ...
insects mostly in kitchen3/27/2009
  Q: We have these tiny things that look like ants when they first come. Then shortly after they appear ...
  A: Linda, I can not be sure but the description you give points me to believe you have termites. Yes ...
little bugs that look like rat droppings3/26/2009
  Q: I have little dark brown bugs, which i thought were rat droppings in the pantry. when i swept them ...
  A: Starr, By the description and the location they are likely a pantry pest. Insects such as saw tooth ...
BRN WIDOWS IN SO-CALIFORNIA3/20/2009
  Q: e had a great amount of brown widows in our yard this past summer/fall here in southern coastal ...
  A: Tamara, First I would want you to get a positive ID on the spiders. widows as a rule like to be in ...
Insect identification - Cockroach3/12/2009
  Q: We live in the San Francisco Bay Area and we found this bug in our house (this is the second or ...
  A: Jim, From the ID (with out size comparison, and other items) I do believe this is a oriental roach ...
asian ladybugs3/12/2009
  Q: The greater question here is how would I best deal with an infestation of ladybugs, who came down on ...
  A: Andrew, Lady bugs have become a real problem in many areas. They are of course a "GOOD" bug in the ...
termites3/4/2009
  Q: We just bought a 30 year old house in phoenix az and we did have the termite inspection done by ...
  A: James, First sorry for the delay. Second I would have to say yes to be concerned. Now I do not mean ...
Ticks2/14/2009
  Q: What can she use to kill those ticks. I would appreciate it if you would give me an answer thank ...
  A: Kat, The first thing is to be sure of the pest we are dealing with. Get a positive ID. If they are ...
bugs2/13/2009
  Q: i have these little flying bugs i think they are black with little wings....they are all over the ...
  A: Carrie, With your description the pest could be any one of hundreds of insects. The most likely ones ...
Mosquitoes2/5/2009
  Q: I live in South Africa where mosquitoes can be a problem when sitting outside on the veranda in the ...
  A: Jim, Very interesting to "talk" to some one in Africa. A little info on "Bug Zappers" As stated they ...
mice2/1/2009
  Q: how can a mouse get in my bed and how con you tell where it lives
  A: Nick, Mice can climb a straight wall, to get in a bed is not a problem. The bedding that you like to ...
silver-gray flea1/26/2009
  Q: what are these called....they are more gray than silver have no wings that i can tell and attach ...
  A: karen, I can not positively identify any pest with out seeing it. and the info I have here is very ...
Roaches in dishwasher1/25/2009
  Q: How can I get rid of roaches in my dishwasher?
  A: Sonya, Roaches in its self is actually very general, so I will make the assumption we are dealing ...
spider fececes1/24/2009
  Q: Every day in our utensil drawer my wife finds small black seed like things I am assuming to be ...
  A: Michael, With out actually seeing the material i will try to make a best educated guess. I do not ...
winter carpenter ants1/7/2009
  Q: I had a major carpenter ant problem a couple of years ago. I called in an exterminator; who treated ...
  A: Gayellen, Carpenter Ants can be a real challenge to eliminate. The primary colony is most of the ...
Ant control1/6/2009
  Q: I get email tips occasionally which suggest among other things,that the way to control ants is to ...
  A: Michael, The answer to the cornmeal part is ridiculous as far as it killing them. The cornmeal and ...
Pest Control (Crickets)8/31/2008
  Q: I'm so glad I found this site. I live in Western Colorado (the high desert) and my lawn is infested ...
  A: Rita, Without a positive identification of the pest this will be a general procedure for field ...
weird bug7/15/2008
  Q: we found a bug in a fireplace and it is long, with a triangle head, with 2 small long stinger things ...
  A: Joyce, Without seeing the insect I can only make a "weird" guess. The triangle shaped head and two ...
fruit flies and septic tank7/14/2008
  Q: My husband and I bought a new home with a septic tank in October. I have finding fruit flies around ...
  A: Cathy, The first (very first) item that needs to take place is to have the pest positively ...
ants in Lawn7/8/2008
  Q: I have many ants in my lawn .They are killing the grass. How can I eliminate them? Hope you can help ...
  A: Joan, About the best lawn ant control will be to utilize a granular product. It would be best right ...
bird mites and pets.6/30/2008
  Q: I have recently come to have a problem with bird mites due to my inexperienced and unknowledage self ...
  A: Larry, Research into the adaptability of mites from rodents and birds to humans has been limited. ...
Flying ant in west-central NM6/29/2008
  Q: I'm back with a photo of the flying ant which swarms at night indoors here. It's attracted to light ...
  A: M. By what I can see in the photo this is not an ant. It appears to be a parasitic wasp. These ...
"NO SEE UMS" Biting Midges6/29/2008
  Q: This is the first summer that we've had these biting insects around our house. Are they dangerous ...
  A: Kay, In Virginia we also have what is generally referred to as 'NO see ums". What these insects are ...
wasps/hornets6/27/2008
  Q: I have large red ground wasps in my flower beds and hornets that continually buzz my front door & ...
  A: Beverly, The only control to these insects are trapping them to reduce the numbers, reduce the ...
Caterpillar like insects6/26/2008
  Q: During the summer months I find these caterpillar slithering like insects crawling on my walls or in ...
  A: Stacy, With out actually seeing most insects it is most difficult to identify them properly. However ...
Pest control of reddish or reddish brown insect6/25/2008
  Q: live in an apartment and notice tiny looking reddish insects coming up through our sink today...too ...
  A: cc, I get many questions about what to do with a pest that looks like X. with out really ...
Termites6/25/2008
  Q: If I find Swarms of termites in evening in a lit room, do I need to tent the house??
  A: Yosie, It may be very likely yes. BUT and a BIG but. You must have the pest properly identified. It ...
Flying ant problem6/21/2008
  Q: We live in NM and have been invaded by flying ants who swarm indoors at night, attracted to lights. ...
  A: M. It is critical to get a positive ID on the pest. They sound like carpenter ants. Once you get a ...
infestation of silverfish in my apartment6/16/2008
  Q: I have an infestation of silverfish in my apartment which is on the second floor in an apartment ...
  A: Gordon, Silverfish are basically everywhere it is only a matter of the property having the right ...
drain flies6/15/2008
  Q: I have had a problem with drain flies for the past 2-3 years. I am sure that I have identified them ...
  A: Maureen, It is difficult to try to identify a source when I am not there. Here is a source that I ...
Unidentified specimen6/7/2008
  Q: It looks like rat droppings..however, it has an other blachish shell like appearance like an insect ...
  A: Lois, Sorry for the delay I have regular e-mail problems. It sounds like a pupal case of an insect. ...
Natural predator of roaches12/2/2007
  Q: I want to find out what eats roaches. I have a huge infestation and the pest control company was 0 ...
  A: Martha, Many predator insects eat roaches but none in the numbers I believe you would need to ...
Termite11/22/2007
  Q: I have recently found termites in the wooden door frame and the back of wooden cabinet (of which ...
  A: J K Lee, Like any other product----DO NOT-- use anything that is not labeled for this application. ...
insect feces11/17/2007
  Q: I am moving into a new home in AZ, it has never been lived in and vacant for almost a year. When I ...
  A: Jennifer, Sorry for the delay. The fecal material you are describing, (in the areas,and part of the ...
Carpenter Ants11/12/2007
  Q: We recently bought a house in upstate NY that has apparently had an infestatin of carpenter ants for ...
  A: Marcia, The very first thing to do is to be sure the identification of the pest is correct. Ants are ...
Camel Crickets11/8/2007
  Q: I've read answers pertaining to how to prevent my basement from camel and cave cricket infestation. ...
  A: Joe, If you have a pro treating your home and YOU are still finding camel crickets under the deck in ...
Fruit Flies?10/27/2007
  Q: I recently noticed tiny little winged bugs in my freezer. All these bugs were dead. I took ...
  A: Drew, The first thing that needs to be done is to have the pest positively identified. Take the ...
Cats and pest control10/26/2007
  Q: My new apartment complex routinely has a pest control company come to each apartment. They use a ...
  A: Corie, Cats and chemicals are like any animal exposed to such products. They each one will respond a ...
Spiders in Virginia10/19/2007
  Q: I rent a wonderful cottage on a large estate with gardens everywhere. The landlords believe in not ...
  A: MayLynda, With the landlords wishes, there may not be much that can be done to really control the ...
Termites10/16/2007
  Q: We know we already have some termite damage around our entry hall doorframe and walls. Is there ...
  A: Gerry, I have been in this business for over thirty years and have seen many products come and go. ...
fleas - help!!!10/16/2007
  Q: So I got fleas in my house (from the cat) we will treat the cat. now the house needs to be treated. ...
  A: Sara, Flea control is more in depth than most realize to get a complete job. For good flea control ...
Too Many Spiders10/7/2007
  Q: my house is always infested with Spiders. they are the slim, see thru type ones, some are small, ...
  A: Spiders like any other living thing require the same items to survive and the more of them they can ...
Spiders in my home10/4/2007
  Q:
  A: Steve, A vacuum cleaner is PART of an effective integrated pest management program. Most units will ...
Type of Beetle?10/2/2007
  Q: My basement walls are cinder block and at the base of the front wall I found last night some 1/4" ...
  A: Jeremy, I can not attempt to identify the insect with the available info to firmly help with control ...
roaches9/28/2007
  Q: I'm having a terrible time with roaches. I've tried just about everything available including a ...
  A: Bill, There are a thousand "remedies" and folk tales for getting rid of roaches and every other pest ...
Spiders!!9/21/2007
  Q: This may sound strange but I'm at my wits end with spiders. I believe my car is infested with ...
  A: Denise, Spiders are like any other living thing. They require food, water, shelter. The likely ...
yellow jacket9/21/2007
  Q: I have a log cabin in WV (20 miles west of Winchester) that I use once a month or so. This past ...
  A: Jonathan, First and the very most important, be very careful. These insects are dangerous and can ...
weird sound9/19/2007
  Q: I live in Southern California in a 1970s house. We had it last inspected for termites about 4 or 5 ...
  A: Tasha, This is very hard, to impossible without an on site inspection. I would recommend a pest ...
Flies, flies and more flies9/18/2007
  Q: I'm having a fly problem in my house. My house is sealed tightly, except for the fire place. Now I ...
  A: Ashley, My help will be directing you to follow a specific course. 1. Capture several of these ...
wasps/hornets9/17/2007
  Q: I live in Rhode Island. I have what appear to be either wasps or hornets entering a small hole ...
  A: Steven, First----- Please do not close the hole. This can be a big problem. Many times this can ...
Springtails9/14/2007
  Q: We are getting springtails in our master bathroom which is on the 2nd floor of our house. I am at ...
  A: KAM, I learned along time ago when it comes to insects it seams anything is possible. If the numbers ...
little worms in my mattress9/13/2007
  Q: I've had a super comfy mattress for five years. I recently washed and changed my sheets and ...
  A: Denis, Go out and collect some of the "worms". Nobody will be able to identify them without being ...
House moths.9/12/2007
  Q: At the beginning of the summer, we began having tiny little brown moths around the house. By mid ...
  A: Desi, Like all pest solutions the VERY FIRST place to start is a POSITIVE identification. It is very ...
Terminex reputation?9/11/2007
  Q: I recently purchased the Terminex "insurance" for about $279. If I find termites within a year, they ...
  A: Mick, I am going to start from bottom to top of your questions. You should NOT attempt to perform ...
waterbugs9/10/2007
  Q: For the past 3 years we have been getting huge (2-3 in)waterbugs in our 3 story single family home. ...
  A: Alex, The pest you are describing can be one of many. American roaches, Oriental roaches, palmetto ...
termite tubes9/9/2007
  Q: had the house painted 6 months ago and the painters pulled back some of the 1" crushed stone that ...
  A: Ken, It is really very simple. Termites are no joke. When you first saw them years ago, the likely ...
Pest Control9/8/2007
  Q: I live in NC and being from NY I am amazed at all the different types of spyders there are here. The ...
  A: RB, I am a little short of all the info I could use to be sure I am pointing you in the right ...
tiny little bugs from the shower drain9/8/2007
  Q: I have a similar problem as another reader but my bugs are different. There are several dozen bugs ...
  A: Jeffrey, Insects are so varied and have many thousands of similar "cousins". I would not be doing ...
camel crickets9/8/2007
  Q: Call me a BIG baby I don't care but I am PETRIFIED of camel crickets, maybe its because they ...
  A: Renee, Please take a big breath and relax to know they are not that difficult to control with the ...
House Flys8/29/2007
  Q: I live in a town house in Philadelphia, PA. Our next door neighbors recently passed away with no ...
  A: Andrew, This is a common problem (maybe not with a dead body) with homeowners have a dead rodent, ...
carpenter ants8/29/2007
  Q: What would you suggest is the best course of action to take against carpenter ants in and around a ...
  A: Vicki, The real key to carpenter ant control is as follows: 1. Be sure of the identification of the ...
Basement camel crickets follow up8/28/2007
  Q: i attached our previous emails. The summer has not been bad regarding my camel cricket problem. I ...
  A: Bill, The Product suggested Demand CS is registered as a restricted product in NY according to the ...
Tiny Black Insects8/27/2007
  Q: I live in Asia country. Half a year ago, I moved in to my new apartment. But the whole building is ...
  A: The possibility to properly identify the pest without seeing them and then keying them out to the ...
Termite inspection8/26/2007
  Q: Bales, My house is 5 years old. After the fifth year of warranty the pest control company sent me a ...
  A: Alfredo, I am a little confused. You said they sent you a renewal notice. This is usually an ...
powder-post beetles8/25/2007
  Q: We have a house that is part 1740 barn. We had it inspected when we bought it 3 yrs ago and it ...
  A: Christine, First you must be absolutely positive of the pest you are dealing with, not just they are ...
red flour beetles8/24/2007
  Q: I had these bugs in my home that the exterminator wasn't sure what it was. We had it analyzed and ...
  A: Donna, With the areas you are finding the insect in I am concerned that they may actually be a ...
fleas8/21/2007
  Q: Keith, Thank you for your time. I worry that I am on the verge of a flea problem in my house ...
  A: Tanya, You have made the cat untouchable and now you are the new dinner plate for the fleas. The ...
silverfish8/20/2007
  Q: I would like to know, are silverfish considered to be pests? I have been seeing them on a regular ...
  A: Robbert, If silverfish are in numbers that are causing damage to your property, or if you do not ...
Yellow Jackets8/20/2007
  Q: Hope you can help me! Im alergic to yellow jackets and spent 1 day in the hospital. Im now going to ...
  A: Tyke, If you were attacked by several of these insects you were most likely in the vicinity of the ...
Wood pile pest control8/19/2007
  Q: What is the best method for protecting split wood, and nearby structures, from various pests ...
  A: Becky, The best practice for fire wood is as follows. 1. Stack off the ground (8-12 inches) in ...
Roaches that won't leave8/16/2007
  Q: We have a slight roach problem. At least, we think they're roaches. They have small antenna, are ...
  A: Joseph, I am going to have to point you in a little different direction so we all have the needed ...
scorpions8/15/2007
  Q: We have just moved to AZ and have scorpions in the garage & now house. We have treated the house and ...
  A: Lannette, The scorpions that are encountered in your area are not considered deadly. However if the ...
White footed Ants8/15/2007
  Q: Why do you say not to use fast acting repellents or sprays on ants. I woke up to literally ...
  A: Lisa, The reason is the ants you actually is only a small part of the colony (about 2). The ...
Mosquitoes, Pyrethreum & Pyrethrins8/12/2007
  Q: .. Can you tell me if and how "Smudge Pots" actually work on mosquitoes and how ? Does the ...
  A: Ed, The term smudge pot I am assuming the reference is to the small units used around a deck also ...
Ant hills and holes in front yard.........8/9/2007
  Q: 2 Questions please. 1) When I was mowing, I noticed that there were quite a few ant hills in my ...
  A: Dave, Many of the ants that infest your yard will never become a household problem. There are ...
hi8/7/2007
  Q: i was sittin in bed and something big and grey and fast ran across it think it was a rat could it ...
  A: Yom, You have a problem and without more information and an on site inspection the information I ...
Termites8/4/2007
  Q: We took down some plaster from our house and found what looks to be old termite damage. There does ...
  A: Marianne There is no hard set fast rule. Even the written findings are based on one specific set of ...
bees!!8/3/2007
  Q: As you may assume why I'm asking you a question, I am very paranoid of bees. I was wondering if ...
  A: Mary Grace, I am very sure there are many "home remedies" for bee repellent. However non of which I ...
insecticide8/3/2007
  Q: I recently sprayed my bed frame with insecticide because of bugs. Do you know about how long it ...
  A: Paola, I have no way of knowing what you sprayed, how you sprayed, or even for what pest you ...
Spiders and Bugs (2 questions)8/1/2007
  Q: I live on .86 acres in a somewhat rural area of Lexington, SC. My house is 30+ years old. We have ...
  A: Curtis, The spiders are there because the items they like and require are in abundance at or near ...
Wasps8/1/2007
  Q: my neighbors have a wasp nest in their back yard. They refuse to remove it. I have asked them ...
  A: I am assuming the nest is a large gray, foot ball shaped nest of which is a bald faced hornet nest. ...
environmentally safe wasp control7/25/2007
  Q: We live in a small wood cabin about 6 or 7 yards from a lake. Recently we discovered a yellow ...
  A: Maya, Yellow jackets are very dangerous and can be provoked to attack very easy. I do NOT recommend ...
Moisture Ants7/24/2007
  Q: Two months ago we bought a 60 year old house in Seattle. While repainting, we discovered an old ...
  A: Chris, The very first thing to do (after you stop the water) is to properly identify the ants. I ...
little light brown/tan bugs7/24/2007
  Q: I've been noticing these very small tan light brown colored bugs in my aunts apartment, (I have been ...
  A: Layla, I am sorry but identifying insects without actually looking at them and sometimes I have to ...
wood-boring bee or wasp7/23/2007
  Q: Nashville, TN How do I get rid of wood-boring insects in a very difficult to reach area? We have ...
  A: Mary, If there is an infestation of wood boring insects they need to be identified and eliminated. ...
Rat/Mice Problem in Attic7/22/2007
  Q: We have set traps in our attic and have caught 4 mice/rats over a period of 1 week. We had been ...
  A: Berl, Mice can get into most any structure. It is advisable to (as you have done) to inspect for the ...
spiders in my townhouse7/20/2007
  Q: So I've seen a number of spiders around my house (like 2 a week) sense I bought it 1 1/2 years ago. ...
  A: Pat, Spider control is a combination (as with most pest) of controlling the things they require to ...
Hundreds of flies on back deck7/20/2007
  Q: We live in the country, we don't have farm animals, we do have 2 dogs, and their dog houses are on ...
  A: Donna, THERE BACK------ FLIES. I predicted this to happen many years ago. The human pest, Flies, bed ...
termites7/19/2007
  Q: I am trying to buy a house and the inspection found active termites. The seller has agreed to treat ...
  A: Marsha, Any structure in a termite prone area (It appears yours is) should be treated Chemically ...
Best treatment for carpenter ants??7/19/2007
  Q: I think I have carpenter ants in teh roof if my house. I'm in east Kansas, near Kansas City, MO, if ...
  A: Carpenter ants like any other pest need to have a positive ID to determine if this is the pest, then ...
flies getting in....7/13/2007
  Q: I have a 3 yr old Modular on full basement and attic is more of a crawl space, not suitable for ...
  A: Flies, Flies, Flies, they are everywhere and only going to get worse. WOW-- what good news. Now the ...
Ants7/12/2007
  Q: Lately I noticed ants on my kitchen counter and around the sink. I can't seem to find how they're ...
  A: Sharon, Ants are a nation wide problem. What is a little weird is the ants are different ants in ...
tiny jumping bugs7/9/2007
  Q: Over the last two days we have observed tiny little beige/brownish spider like jumping bugs in one ...
  A: I know you attempted to give me a really good description of the problem pest. However even with all ...
Fleas in my new home!7/8/2007
  Q: I just bought a new home about a month ago. The previous homeowner had a cat or dog. I am finding ...
  A: DeAnna, For flea control to be properly completed is a fairly large operation and I would recommend ...
very small brown jumping bugs in tub drain7/6/2007
  Q: Over the last two weeks I have noticed very small brown bugs at the tub drain (about the size of a ...
  A: Aran, I do not believe the pest you are seeing are coming from the drain, especially with the ...
woodlice7/4/2007
  Q: i keep getting woodlice in my house why is this can you give me some idea to get rid of them
  A: Vikki, The insect I believe you are referring to can be one of several common insects. Pill bugs, ...
Drain flies7/4/2007
  Q: We are having sewer work done in our neighborhood recently, and we are now getting small brownish ...
  A: Leeann, The insect you describe does not sound like a drain fly. And it is unlikely they are coming ...
Drywood Terites7/3/2007
  Q: We had an inspection of our condo July, 2005 in which they found "evidence of drywood termites at ...
  A: Susan, Any time a termite infestation is found a treatment to kill the infestation (if active) is ...
Black Ants7/1/2007
  Q: Bales. I am trying to find out what kind of ants I have in my yard. I have read some of the answers ...
  A: Kerrie, The proper identification of any pest is the start. And until this is done properly I cannot ...
Earwigs...6/28/2007
  Q: We have a 3 yr old modular on a full poured walls basement. I have seen a handful of earwigs here ...
  A: Mike, Sorry for the delay. Earwigs are a pest that do not damage the home. However can be a real ...
lawn damage6/27/2007
  Q: I awoke to two mysterious circles in my lawn. They are about 8-10 inches in diameter and almost ...
  A: Barb, Sorry for the delay. Depending on the part of the country you are from it sounds as if the ...
Frogs in the pond.6/26/2007
  Q: I read your response to the lady with the Frog problem in her garden pond. I too have the same ...
  A: The answer to frogs in a pond for you will be about the same as the others, Their is no short fast ...
paperlice or booklice maybe?6/21/2007
  Q: Have lots of critters swarming around in house and car that look like flying lint. How do I get rid ...
  A: Joan, I am sorry but I will not likely be of much help here. The first stage of any pest control is ...
termites6/15/2007
  Q: I have a new wood pile that I have noticed, fine sawdust clumps in. This wood was good solid new ...
  A: Jerry, The insects that you are seeing are not termites and by your ID I believe you have wood ...
Webs on tree limbs6/12/2007
  Q: I just noticed that on 3 limbs from our front tree it has webs and inside the webs there appear to ...
  A: Mario, By your description the pest are Tent Caterpillars. They can be very destructive. They will ...
ants6/10/2007
  Q: I have noticed about 4 ant hills popping up in my back yard. Is there any special way to get rid of ...
  A: Ryan, As with any insect control the first place to start is with a POSITIVE ID. After you have ...
Camel crickets6/9/2007
  Q: I have been having these critters in my basement over the last three years. I have used the same ...
  A: Bill, Sorry for the delay I have had Computer difficulties. When the work they are great, when they ...
Potential termite problem6/6/2007
  Q: We own a 22 year old house in a heavily woode neighborhood that we bought 7 years ago. We have a ...
  A: Joe, Find some more info if possible. Was the property ever previously treated? What was it treated ...
Termite Swarmers6/4/2007
  Q: I was told by my townhouse association last year that since we had Swarmers & not subterranean ...
  A: The term "Swarmers" is simply a reference to a Caste (A portion of an individual colony, with a ...
noise frogs5/31/2007
  Q: Please be so kind and advice me how can escape from frogs. I have a pond near to my house and all ...
  A: Magda, These devices are available dependent upon the pond size at your local garden centers, larger ...
Many, many cleat sized holes in dead grass area5/31/2007
  Q: As in my subject I have many small holes in the bare spots of my lawn. I see no sign of insect ...
  A: Ron, With the limited info I cannot be sure of the problem. Let me point you in the direction of ...
ants5/30/2007
  Q: Please help. We've a problem with ants. We live in New Jersey. I've heard them referred to as ...
  A: Dave, Ants are a real problem all over the country. However the type of ants differ from area to ...
spiders5/23/2007
  Q: i am having a major problem with large agressive house spiders i kill about 2 a week in my house my ...
  A: Sounds like you have a serious problem. And I am back to where I would be if I was the one that ...
Wood powder - termites??5/23/2007
  Q: I noticed last week wood powder by the wall in the bathroom (powder room)in the first floor. I ...
  A: I will need a lot more details to be able to be of much assistance with this. I will try to help you ...
Frogs5/19/2007
  Q: I have a problem with little green frogs I have a 2 story house with vinyl siding and they live in ...
  A: Eddy, Frogs as a rule are a great natural "Pest Control" and many people would love them. However a ...
Possible Termites5/17/2007
  Q: I don't know if we have termites in our house or not. We have begun to see 1 0r 2 insects a week in ...
  A: Beryl, From the limited description I have It does NOT sound like termites. However you must get a ...
Spiders5/13/2007
  Q: I have several daddylong legs and brown spiders in my apartment. Are there any natural ways of ...
  A: Spider Control with or without applying toxic pesticides has the same base goal. Reduce the ...
Pest5/12/2007
  Q: 1. Explain me what is meant by Pest ? 2. And what is meant by Pest Managment ?
  A: The question of: What is a pest? Is is much like: What is a weed? By definition it is "a undesirable ...
Bugs coming through window frames5/6/2007
  Q: I live in a suburb in Midwest. The house is about 2 year old. I just found little bugs around almost ...
  A: Tommy, Identification is the key here. You and I must know the proper Identification to proceed. ...
carpenter ants5/5/2007
  Q: We have been having ant activity in our house since this winter. For this reason, we assumed their ...
  A: Julie, As with any pest the PROPER identification of the insect is critical for the control of the ...
spider feces5/5/2007
  Q: how do you remove spider feces stains from vinyl siding before having it professional sprayed?
  A: According to one of the largest Vinyl siding manufactures (CertainTeed). The document Master ...
terminex / houseplants4/29/2007
  Q: Our apt is being tented for termites. We have a ton of houesplants and deck-plants. Can we leave ...
  A: M, Please contact your Pest Management Pro that is performing the fumigation and have them review ...
insects(ants04/28/2007
  Q: How Do I Kill an ant pile with household items?
  A: Without proper identification of the insect any good answer is not really possible. As far as the ...
termite extermination4/28/2007
  Q: What is your suggestion for best method to exterminate terminates - liquid injected in the soil or ...
  A: Dawn, Both methods (Chemical soil poison, Baiting) are viable effective methods. I recommend the ...
Swarmer Termites4/25/2007
  Q: We currently have swarmers in our yard that area also getting into our house. We have a service ...
  A: Eric, Swarmers are the sexual reproductive termites from the colony and have no means to eat on ...
springtails--need moisture control?4/25/2007
  Q: If I do have springtails, how can I locate the source or where the nest is? I live in Wylie, TX ...
  A: Chandra, Sorry for the delay. Their was a little glitch. Spring tails are a very moisture connected ...
dry wood termits4/25/2007
  Q: is there a chemical I can buy that is very effective in killing dry wood termits? Will I have to ...
  A: Don, This sounds like a job for the pro's. Many times when you find drywood termites in one location ...
Pest4/24/2007
  Q: I have the following questions. I have to take my interview in the Pest Management Department so, ...
  A: I would be doing you and your future customers a great disservice to answer these questions for you. ...
lawn spiders4/14/2007
  Q: I have tons (as in lots and lots and lots) of small black spiders in my back lawn. Having done a bit ...
  A: I do not have the proper insect ID to suggest a treatment application. I would suggest a licensed ...
Bed Bug4/14/2007
  Q: I recently used an exterminator service for Bed Bugs in my Apt. From hand written receipt I was ...
  A: Sorry for the delay. There seems to be a software glith that has presented a small problem. The one ...

All Questions in This Category

Pest Control

B. Keith Bales

Top Expert on this page