Pest Control/Questions Answered by Expert Rene Kesecker

SubjectDate Asked
hundreds/thousands of tiny brown bugs6/7/2013
  Q: Beneath my cereal boxes, under the paper towel beneath my cooking oils, beneath my fruit basket and ...
  A: Sorry for the delay, we had a new addition to the family and she decided she wanted to come early. ...
bugs? eggs or moth eggs6/3/2013
  Q: One tanktop I had stashed in my closet has light colored sesame seeds all over it...what do I need ...
  A: You can do one of two things, you can put the tank in a plastic bag and place in the freezer for 30 ...
Natural termite elimination safe for cats and humans5/28/2013
  Q: My roommates and I (I am man in my thirties and roommates are a man in his sixties who has had a ...
  A: Sorry for delay, we had a family medical emergency and as you can expect our life has been a bit ...
Droppings on a window sil5/8/2013
  Q: I recently returned from vacation to find what appears to be dropping on my window sil. The windows ...
  A: It is pretty obvious that the droppings may be coming from the weep holes in the window frame. This ...
Drywood termites/ fecal pellets4/19/2013
  Q: I have an older home, built 1956 in South Florida. If CHLORDANE was applied to my attic wood when ...
  A: On the Chlordane question....My career in pest management started in 1981, at that time I believe ...
small black bugs3/23/2013
  Q: there are small black bugs in my house. I've seen them since 3-4days ago, and I saw about 5 of them ...
  A: No worries about these insects in the picture being roaches. They are clearly some kind of beetle or ...
Ash Borer3/7/2013
  Q: "Hi there, When did the Ash borer insects enter North America? Because they were around for a while ...
  A: Everything I find in our resources shows that the Ash borers were accidently introduced to the US ...
wintertime bees1/30/2013
  Q: Live in north Idaho. Has been 30 or less for over a month, and for the last few weeks I've regularly ...
  A: Most likely what you are seeing are wasps or hornets that used the home to winter over. As the days ...
Could this be a mouse dropping?1/29/2013
  Q: I just found this on my carpet. I picked it up with a disinfectant wipe-- neither did it smear nor ...
  A: This does not look like a dropping. If it is....it would be rather old and would have to been ...
Wasps in winter in the home1/28/2013
  Q: Good Day, Everything I've read tells me that the wasps all die in the winter, with only the queen ...
  A: There are many sub-species of wasps and hornets, some of which do winter over and continue on the ...
Rats/Mice attic and Rats in crawl space1/12/2013
  Q: How long will it take to get rid of the rats in the attic? ATTIC STORY: Back in October I was ...
  A: Sounds like you have tried some different remedies with some results. I guess maybe telling you how ...
trying to identify droppings12/1/2012
  Q: I found droppings, small white pellets, that show up under a wood bench/table (image attached). I ...
  A: If the droppings are appearing under the same piece of furniture....then that would be the ...
Small silver bugs? what are they and how can i kill them11/15/2012
  Q: I have recently discovered in my kitchen there are theses small (no bigger then a pin head) silver ...
  A: I would recommend you take a sample to either an entomologist or pest professional to have them take ...
Big spider or tarantula.10/5/2012
  Q: I live on California Central Valley. On October the first when qwakening I spotted a big spider or ...
  A: Living in the Central Valley in California I imagine that a tarantula may survive there out in the ...
bug's (I think)10/2/2012
  Q: I live in South Jersey and I am noticing small little clear like shells on my walkway and driveway. ...
  A: These little "shells" as you describe can be most anything, plant or insect in origin. I would ...
advice8/28/2012
  Q: .the kitchen in the house seems to be infested with roaches. i have been advised to call an ...
  A: If the roaches you are seeing are the type that scatter when you come in and turn on the light. They ...
worm "fuzz" piles8/24/2012
  Q: I think I've deduced the little worms my son is finding curled up dead in his garage are millipedes, ...
  A: I am not finding any material or research information that links a fuzz like substance with ...
tiny bugs8/21/2012
  Q: In the past 2 weeks I have had an influx of these bugs on my basement walls & have found 4 of them ...
  A: I was out with a family medical issue and was not able to monitor my All Experts account. I am sorry ...
beetles and tent fumigation8/15/2012
  Q: My sister owns a house that has extensive beetle damage. There was an addition built 37 years ago ...
  A: Having worked as a guard with a fumigation company....I can attest to your sisters statement. Homes ...
Flies getting in8/2/2012
  Q: I have an 8yr old modular home on a full basement in NY state. The first two years, we had the ...
  A: I would not use foggers for a couple of reasons..... They only kill the flies that are ...
Carpet beetles7/27/2012
  Q: I recently became aware of a carpet beetle problem in my home. I found many skin sheddings in dusty ...
  A: Certainly you may find more beetles as you declutter the house. You will just have to deal with each ...
Blow Flies7/24/2012
  Q: 2 years ago we had a problem with blow flies....... I KNOW there was some sort of dead animal ...
  A: Sorry for the delay We had an addition to our family, first grandbaby, maybe even a 4th generation ...
Thrips7/12/2012
  Q: We have been fighting an almost microscopic insect for nearly 6 months. After home treated numerous ...
  A: Thrips can be tough to control as they are very tiny and can sometimes come through conventional ...
Small black flying. Bug in house6/8/2012
  Q: There is one corner of my house where it seems that these little black or brown bugs keep showing up ...
  A: I would suggest you have them identified. There are several companies in Washington that have ...
Stored Product Pests6/7/2012
  Q: I currently service a warehouse where sugar is stored. What kinds of Stored Product Pests infest ...
  A: Among the most common stored product pests the Drugstore Beetle is the only one I can find that will ...
worm like bugs5/26/2012
  Q: i have this worm like bug issue. when i leave clothes laying around for a few days before washing ...
  A: I will have to suggest that you take a sample to either a pest control professional or an ...
black ground beetle???5/22/2012
  Q: I was sitting at my computer and heard something crawling in my cold air duct (right next to the ...
  A: I would suggest you have a pest professional or entomologist look at the sample you have. There are ...
Patatoebug on my bed!5/16/2012
  Q: I just read an answer you gave about potato bugs. I was up late watching TV and I noticed something ...
  A: I very well remember dealing with Potato Bugs when I lived in Calif. They can be quite bothersome. ...
Phorid flies5/15/2012
  Q: I live in Scotland. Over the last 2 weeks I have had an infestation of what I believe are phorid ...
  A: Pat, It is very possible that some debris has made it's way under the patio area and remains on the ...
Safety4/28/2012
  Q: I just found out that, due to a problem with bedbugs in a nearby apartment, my unit had been treated ...
  A: I certainly understand your concerns. Generally the standard practice for bed bugs is to use steam, ...
ant help, please!4/15/2012
  Q: HELP! We have ants. In past places we have lived we dealt with everything from honeypot ants to the ...
  A: First of all don't rule out Carpenter Ants, there are several species. I would save some samples and ...
insect control and weed blockers4/15/2012
  Q: A pset control professional advised to quarterly treat the exterior perimeter of my house with ...
  A: Certainly in your area a regular service, year round, will lower the insect populations around the ...
bats3/22/2012
  Q: I am having a company come and seal up most holes and then install some "cones" for exclusion. They ...
  A: Sorry for the delay...I was trying to research myself and don't find much more than a few companies ...
Could be a toxic spider?3/21/2012
  Q: about 5 days ago my parents went into the basement to turn on the pump to get 1 inch of water out of ...
  A: First of all if you have the spider and can take it in to have identified that would be best. ...
termite treatment danger to cats?3/14/2012
  Q: I just had my apartment sprayed for termites. I have 2 cats. Do you know what the danger is for my ...
  A: I can only guess that the soil below the apartments was treated, so the material is all below the ...
Wasps indoors in spring3/10/2012
  Q: We live in rural NH in an old renovated farmhouse. Every year about this time, still quite cold ...
  A: Sounds like you have a species of wasp that is over-wintering in the structure. I am not familiar ...
bird mites1/13/2012
  Q: we live in the middle east. two years earlier we moved into a house, in which the previous landlord ...
  A: Sasa, From the sounds of it you are well on your way to having this situation under control. Because ...
bushy tailed woodrat12/14/2011
  Q: We have a cottage in the whiteshell, which is in south-east corner of Manitoba. This past weekend, ...
  A: Yes you are right...bird seed should be avoided around the cottage as it will encourage them to hang ...
worms10/11/2011
  Q: I keep finding these small, black worms in my bathroom, about 1/2-1 inch long i think. I moved into ...
  A: There are several things that come to mind when talking about black "worms" While there are several ...
Millipedes9/23/2011
  Q: I saw Andy's post about what he thought were worms but are millipedes. The photo he provided looked ...
  A: Millipedes do not cause any harm to humans. Yes they like moist conditions and a basement even a ...
small brown bug hanging from ceiling8/11/2011
  Q: my sister who doesn't use the internet has small brown/orangish bugs about 1.4" or so long and hang ...
  A: Without a picture of actual sample of the bugs they are seeing I really can't help much with this. I ...
help to identify white and brown stripped bug8/9/2011
  Q: Greetings, I was cleaning up my son's bedroom and I found several striped white and brown insects. ...
  A: Yes the picture you sent is rather blurry and they are very small. I cannot tell what type of insect ...
Possible dropping between carpet and wall8/7/2011
  Q: I need your help - today while cleaning our soon to be here baby's closet my husband saw 2 possible ...
  A: If you could please send the picture that would help. Mice generally will traffic along walls so ...
Dropping, food, or from toddler's diaper8/5/2011
  Q: We found this in the middle of our son's nursery tonight and the cleaning lady had just been here on ...
  A: Your welcome, I'm glad to help you with this problem. Certainly it is possible for a dropping to ...
Small brown bugs and rusty colou red worms in bedroom8/4/2011
  Q: I couldn't seem to find images of them but I hope my discription is just as good.
  A: This is a great opportunity for you to learn some detective skills! First of all I can't identify ...
Droppings on basement window-outside8/4/2011
  Q: We just noticed some black droppings in all the crevices of our basement windows outside. We have ...
  A: What you may be seeing is evidence of sow/pill bugs or earwigs. They are moisture loving insects ...
Flies..!8/2/2011
  Q: Our water heater is in our garage, right outside the door leading from the kitchen to the garage. My ...
  A: The best way to know WHY is to know what species of fly you are dealing with. Because they all have ...
Possible mouse droppings6/29/2011
  Q: We found possible mouse droppings the other day while cleaning our upstairs. Unfortunately both me ...
  A: Generally mouse droppings will crumble if they are dry and usually one or both ends will have a ...
Question on droppings6/28/2011
  Q: We live in a rural area in central NC (the triad)and have plenty of trees around our house in our ...
  A: Mouse droppings are most likely to crumble. It is rare that they become hard, that may depend on the ...
mosquitos6/23/2011
  Q: Our house is infested with mosquitos! tons of them...the lay low most of the day butbecome more ...
  A: First let me caution you about using materials in your house, on your bedding and especially on your ...
Mites?6/20/2011
  Q: I recently moved into a new house and noticed that some pigeons had set up a nest on the outside of ...
  A: Because there are several types of bugs that may be associated with a birds nest I would suggest you ...
Rat or Lizard Droppings???6/5/2011
  Q: When we moved into this house in Miami, FL a few months ago we found that it was roach infested. We ...
  A: Greetings Paranoid Mom, I would suspect the droppings are from lizards or insects, rodent droppings ...
Carpet beetles....5/16/2011
  Q: At least I'm 99.5% sure that's what they are. I hope you can help me with a few questions. I first ...
  A: Carpet Beetles don't live in groups, but you will see larger numbers in an area where they have a ...
bees / wasps5/12/2011
  Q: Do you know if there is some sort of bee / hornet 'net' similar to the mosquito nets people put over ...
  A: Any kind of small mesh netting will keep them out. It is more of a physical barrier rather than a ...
Rats in crawlspace5/11/2011
  Q: I experienced a water leak in cpvc pipe in my residential crawl space and the plumber said it was a ...
  A: This question is right up my alley as we have a division that performs rodent exclusion and ...
Getting rid of moisture ants5/7/2011
  Q: I am sending you this question because you wrote that you specialize in pests found in the NW as ...
  A: First of all the activity you are describing may be another species of ant. I would first collect ...
Rat question from 10/20075/1/2011
  Q: I recently found a dead rat/mouse/rodent underneath my outside upright freezer. I pulled it out of ...
  A: Yes this does look familiar...The previous rodent we saw with the bushy tail was a Wood Rat and yes ...
Springtails4/19/2011
  Q: this is my 3rd year in my brand new house. The first year we moved in in Aug and I never saw any of ...
  A: You may have found a solution to the problem on your own, I am referring to the change in the bark ...
caterpillars...i think4/19/2011
  Q: I started finding dead bodies of these caterpillar things and only recently have started seeing ones ...
  A: What you are seeing are millipedes. They are an insect that thrives in high moisture conditions and ...
unknown bug4/18/2011
  Q: I hope you can ID this bug I have found in my home. I think its relevant to inform you that I live ...
  A: If the room you are seeing these in has any grain, leather or natural products in it such as dried ...
What's in my pantry?4/10/2011
  Q: I have a pantry in my basement that has canned goods and dried goods (ie sugar, flour, pasta, etc). ...
  A: My first guess would be mice. First I would dispose of any products that have been damaged. Then I ...
mouse infestation4/6/2011
  Q: the house we just moved into has a bad mouse infestation. I'm terrified of the hentavirus! We can't ...
  A: Sorry for the delay. I was out for several days recovering from some minor surgery and missed one ...
Bug found in bedroom4/4/2011
  Q: I found a bug on top of my pillow that was under a pile of blankets tonight. It has a deep, dark ...
  A: Sorry for the delay, I was out for a medical reason and forgot to mark myself as unavailable for ...
Flies on deck4/2/2011
  Q: We just recently purchased a new home and there are flies almost in a perfect row all along the ...
  A: Sorry for the delay, I neglected to put myself on All Experts "vacation" while out having some minor ...
silverfish3/21/2011
  Q: We're in Massachusetts. In the past 2 weeks I've killed 2 silverfish in the upstairs front room of ...
  A: Generally if you are seeing Silverfish in an upstairs room, they are usually coming from the attic ...
termites?3/13/2011
  Q: I was out cutting firewood on Vancouver Island BC Canada when I spotted a few kinds of "bugs" in the ...
  A: The picture shows the larva stage of something much larger than a Dampwood Termite. Even if it was, ...
Tiny black and brown bugs w/ zig zag print2/27/2011
  Q: I have found between 6 and 10 of these tiny bugs in my windowsills. They are not bothersome and are ...
  A: I imagine they are some type of over wintering insect that is now starting to become more active as ...
Follow up question-rat in the wall?2/22/2011
  Q: I asked a question about a month ago about a mouse/rat problem. We can still hear intermittent ...
  A: When you hear scratching/noises in the walls that seems to move from area to area, it most likely ...
Mice wall damage2/3/2011
  Q: I found a mysterious hole in the wall. It was not there before. I think it was caused by a rodent. I ...
  A: As much as you don't want to look at the food in the pantry....I suggest you check it all and ...
Pack Rat Smell1/29/2011
  Q: We've had a pack rat in our attic that has left a very distinct odor behind. We have since sealed ...
  A: Sadly it is true that rats leave behind smells like this often. I would suggest that if you have ...
mouse in wall?1/13/2011
  Q: Yesterday I found that something was scratching inside the walls. It's about 1.5m up from the ...
  A: The scratching you hear could very well be a mouse and yes weep holes are one possible point of ...
Rat Droppings1/10/2011
  Q: We recently moved into a rental house, and after the weather turned cold, I found fresh rat ...
  A: If your bakeware is dishwasher safe, then I suggest washing it there, using the sanitation cycle. ...
Termites1/10/2011
  Q: We just purchased a townhome that has one adjoining wall with another townhome. We need to have it ...
  A: Sounds like you have Drywood Termites, these are usually controlled by tenting the home and ...
Pest chewing PEX waterlines1/9/2011
  Q: For one week now I have had some type of critter between the floors of my house chewing on the PEX ...
  A: Sounds like you are really having a go of it with this critter that seems to like your home. First ...
HOLES IN PLASTER12/18/2010
  Q: WE ARE GETTING HOLES IN OUR PLASTER IS THERE A PLASTER EATING INSECT? WE HAVE A CLEANING LADY ONCE A ...
  A: I don't know of any insects that bore through plaster,at least not here in the United States. I ...
worms in carpet12/12/2010
  Q: There appear to be tiny, almost microscopic worm-like things in my carpet. The first signs were my ...
  A: I can't tell you just from the description what you are seeing. I too suggest that you need to have ...
worms in oats11/24/2010
  Q: how acquired microscopic white mites so I was informed by a expert breeder to take my beetles out ...
  A: If the worms or larvae are moving away from the food source I would highly suspect Indian Meal Moth. ...
grubs"?:10/30/2010
  Q: Recently rolled over some watermelons and found some fat, curled up, 1/2 bugs, slimy looking light ...
  A: This question would be best directed towards someone with agricultural pest control experience. If ...
Help, yellow jackets.10/7/2010
  Q: Help. I live in Atlanta, GA. The past 3 or 4 days an increased number of yellow jackets have been ...
  A: Desarai, If you live in an area where it gets cold enough to kill the nests in the fall, the ...
tiny biting10/6/2010
  Q: Something on our couch and in the office under the desk is nipping at me. I can't see anything, ...
  A: Actually I have a few questions for you that might help us narrow this down a bit. Are you having ...
small flying bitting bug9/26/2010
  Q: i just walked out on my back pourch and within seconds was covered in a tiny black flying but that ...
  A: Without actually seeing the bug I can't begin to tell you what it is. We have many species and ...
feces identification9/14/2010
  Q: I live in Northern Va and my 11 yr old son found some poop on our back deck and wanted to know what ...
  A: After referring to several reference books, I'm not finding any dropping illustrations that even ...
rat or pack rat9/12/2010
  Q: We discovered we had a rat or pack rat between the basement ceiling and the main floor of our home. ...
  A: Because you smelt what I assume was a dead smell the first rat was most likely caught died ...
Mice9/7/2010
  Q: My question is probably more asking for general advice than asking a specific question, and I'd ...
  A: The big picture here is not just your apartment, but the entire structure. What really needs to be ...
Rats in crawlspace9/7/2010
  Q: I have been plagued for 20 years by periodic rat infestations in a dirt surface crawlspace under my ...
  A: First I need to point out that the periodic infestations are due to the fact that eventhough you may ...
eggs9/3/2010
  Q: Can you identify if these are eggs on A window screen.I live in the Finger Lakes region of NYS. Not ...
  A: Can't tell from the picture, but there are many insects that could attach their eggs to a screen ...
rats in bar-b-q9/2/2010
  Q: I just want it to move out. Would something like moth balls work to get it to move? I know the ...
  A: If you simply deter the rat from going into the BBQ, you will only send him or her a message to find ...
Open pipe on outside wall8/31/2010
  Q: I live in a ground floor/basement apartment and have a white pipe coming through my outside rear ...
  A: It appears that this pipe does serve a purpose. I would advise consulting with a heating/air ...
Australian & American Roaches8/27/2010
  Q: We purchased a home in SW Florida 8 months ago and found upon moving in empty roach spray cans, over ...
  A: Sorry for the delay, I was out with a "bug" of my own and didn't remember to put myself out on the ...
houseflies8/24/2010
  Q: My house is a 5 yr old modular built in 2005. I can't seem to stop the influx of houseflies during ...
  A: I was out sick several days, I didn't think to put myself on Vacation so I apologize for the delay ...
Bit by a Beetle?8/3/2010
  Q: I was playing tennis in Arizona last night and noticed quite a few black beetle like bugs on the ...
  A: Because it appears that it was a beetle that went down your shirt, I would suspect that it may have ...
phorid flies7/30/2010
  Q: We have been living in an apartment complex dating back to the 70's for a year and 2 months. There ...
  A: Sounds like your having a time of it. Phorid Flies breed in and feed upon decaying matter. First ...
Bug Spray7/27/2010
  Q: When I'm shopping I see advertised on cans of bug spray, Keeps killing for 12 months etc. Is this ...
  A: It is hard to speak to the longevity or effectiveness of any one product that is available over the ...
Tiny Black Long Insects7/11/2010
  Q: Recently anytime I open my windows at night I get a bunch of tiny bugs in my room, on the roof along ...
  A: Sorry for the delay, we just moved our office and needless to say things are a little upside down! ...
Voles or Mice?6/30/2010
  Q: I have some rodents living around my house and I was wondering what they are. At first, I was sure ...
  A: The best way to tell is to use some good old fashioned mouse traps with peanut butter and see what ...
Carpet Beetles in a Camper/Trailer6/28/2010
  Q: I'm actually emailing you for a friend of mine who is living in the woods of southcentral Alaska and ...
  A: First of all I would suggest they collect some samples, put them in rubbing alcohol and when in town ...
potato bugs5/26/2010
  Q: i have a bunch of potato bugs in my home and no i do not grow potatos how do i keep them out are ...
  A: I remember when I lived in California what a hassle the Potato Bugs can be. They are very common in ...
Varmit Help5/22/2010
  Q: I live in the southwest desert and have something in my house that leaves droppings that look like ...
  A: There are a number of critters that will leave droppings as you describe. If they are sticky and ...
Phorid flies5/18/2010
  Q: We have a phorid fly infestation. I also have sewer or drain flies, but they seem to be responding ...
  A: I answered this question to you several days ago, but for some reason it still shows on the All ...
Lots of holes in my backyard5/14/2010
  Q: I have noticed about 25 holes appearing in my backyard, centering on the root structure where there ...
  A: I would guess that you could have any of the rodents you mentioned. It would depend on what species ...
Larder Beetles5/13/2010
  Q: I noticed about 5 weeks ago that i had small black beetles in my bedroom, when i got these checked i ...
  A: Larder Beetles have a wide range in their diet. They will feed on everything from meat, hides, pet ...
Omg!4/22/2010
  Q: Yes! I fanilly (sorry bad speller) found someone who like bugs! ok my question is.... I am not ...
  A: Certainly for the most part you can pick up most insects. If you are uncertain about putting them on ...
Rats getting into BBQ4/17/2010
  Q: I live on the central coast Australia, I have rodents getting into my outside BBQ, I want to know ...
  A: There is nothing that you can spray to deter them from getting into the BBQ. You can use traps and ...
wood boring bees4/7/2010
  Q: have a log and have boring bees and yellow jackets. How can I get rid of these?
  A: There are a couple of bees that come to mind when you mention "boring bees". Those being Carpenter ...
carpet beetles inside walls3/31/2010
  Q: It's been almost two weeks since I first discovered carpet beetles in my daughter's bedroom carpet. ...
  A: Sorry for the delay, I've had some family health issues this last week. Sounds like you've had quite ...
Wasp in attic and home3/24/2010
  Q: Rene, I have noticed wasps entering a point where our siding intersects with our roof line. I was ...
  A: It is not uncommon for wasps or hornets to use a structure for over wintering. Most likely that ...
Rat infestagtion3/10/2010
  Q: I have a severe rat infestation problem. I have a bathroom wall that has a clear plastic panel at ...
  A: John, There are several options that don't involve opening the wall. You don't have to put the traps ...
flea bomb3/2/2010
  Q: Renee, I've read your question/answer from 2007 and is useful info. My question is: how safe is ...
  A: I cannot advise you as to the "safety" of flea bombs as some have different ingredients and ...
Termites or little white ants in my apartment, what should i do?2/26/2010
  Q: I have these little white ants in my kitchen, only my kitchen. I did some research and I believe ...
  A: First you must have them identified, they don't sound like termites unless there are also mud tubes ...
voles1/5/2010
  Q: have a vole in house-bait abd/or traps was of no interest-need help!! Thank you
  A: First of all rodent bait used inside a structure is a very bad idea. Please follow the manufactures ...
rat infestation12/31/2009
  Q: Rene, We just discovered that a rat had eaten through our basement wall. We were aware that we had a ...
  A: Unfortunately the pest professional didn't consider that the rats may die inside the structure. ...
cockroach or mouse12/13/2009
  Q: We moved into our house last February. In March I found a HUGE cockroach in our bathroom, which is ...
  A: Just got my Internet back as we had some freezing rain and such here in the Northwest. It's nice to ...
Fruit Flies11/18/2009
  Q: I am doing a project on fruit flies. Have you ever dealt with fruit flies? Have you ever gotten rid ...
  A: Sounds like a fun project. From a professional standpoint, we usually don't need to provide service ...
Bugs on Kitchen counter11/16/2009
  Q: I am finding lots of a small black/dark brown crawling bugs, no wings on my kitchen counters. I ...
  A: First of all don't use anymore sprays on the counters, if the insects are just coming back you are ...
insect feces11/15/2009
  Q: What kind of spider or insect leaves small black balls in corners and around plants like the size of ...
  A: Yes it could be earwigs, or any other insect for that fact. First of all "bombs" are highly ...
Small insect swams inside house.11/14/2009
  Q: I don't live in the US but I was hoping you could help me out, I've spent hours trying to identify a ...
  A: Sorry I can't identify them for a few reasons, one being that to identify an insect of this size you ...
something underneath the drywall tape10/17/2009
  Q: I noticed a couple days ago that the drywall tape near the ceiling was coming down in our dining ...
  A: Sounds like you may have some type of pupae cases there. This means there is some insect using the ...
unidentified droppings found10/13/2009
  Q: the past couple of weeks i have woken up in my room to find one or two droppings that are about ...
  A: Sorry for the delay, I have been scouring our research information here at the office and find no ...
Starting my own pest control bussiness Philadelphia, PA10/12/2009
  Q: I wanted to know the steps I need to take to start my own pest control business in Philadelphia, PA? ...
  A: Since I am not a licensed operator in the your state I can't really guide you on the regulations ...
rats in sandbox10/8/2009
  Q: We went out to the yard the other day and uncovered the sandbox only to find a LOT of rat droppings ...
  A: I would suggest clearing all the sand from the play area and starting fresh. Because rats have a ...
boxelder bugs10/6/2009
  Q: Can boxelder bugs put a split in a tree trunk? I am having a huge boxelder bug problem. What is ...
  A: I've never heard of Box Elder Bugs putting a split in a tree, they will hang out there for shelter ...
Termite infestation10/3/2009
  Q: I am considering buying a home that had to be tented for termite infestation. Though it is ...
  A: It sounds as though this home had a drywood termite infestation, it's common to tent and fumigate ...
Tenting for Termites9/27/2009
  Q: When a house is tented for termites, I know we are supposed to remove the food. Is there anything ...
  A: The fumigation company should give you detailed instructions on what needs to be done to prepare for ...
invading tiny jumping insects!9/24/2009
  Q: We a re located in the central Willamette valley in Oregon, in a rural town next to farmland where ...
  A: Since the picture is such that I cannot identify these tiny insects, why don't we just come by and ...
insects?9/20/2009
  Q: My lawn has been overcome with mounds of raised dirt. It looks as if something dug its way out ...
  A: Sounds like it might be moles. I would consult with a landscape professional or someone who ...
Harlequin Stink Bug9/19/2009
  Q: I'm in the Sacramento Delta in Northern California. There are cornfields and orchards less than a ...
  A: Usually they are specific to invading plant life. They will damage plants and are most damaging to ...
Do I have termites?9/16/2009
  Q: I found about a dozen termites flying around a lamp. I called a pest control company and they ...
  A: Generally a service for Drywood Termites involves a fumigation of the structure and no on-going ...
Rat problem, protect the chipmunks, squirrels9/16/2009
  Q: I have rats living under my firewood pile in the backyard. (This is a new problem). I was feeding ...
  A: You are faced with a very hard decision here. Any control measures taken to lower the rat population ...
Firewood on deck9/14/2009
  Q: I live in a condo complex with wood decks and exteriors. Our R&R's had restricted firewood from ...
  A: If the firewood is kept dry, used up each year and then replaced the following summer, there should ...
Small black fly ID9/11/2009
  Q: I have a new constuction home (finished June 09) with a fly problem in the unfinished basement. I ...
  A: There are so many flies that it takes an entomologist to get the identification down to the ...
Rat Mouse ??????8/31/2009
  Q: Can you identify this critter? Shot the other night in son's dresser, inside house. Lives in Western ...
  A: This is a "wood rat" common to our neck of the woods (we are in the Willamette Valley south of ...
rodents -how they get in attic8/31/2009
  Q: I was just wondering how can rodents enter an attic.The only access to the attic is inside the ...
  A: Rodents can be quite crafty. They can enter at ground level and travel up through the walls to the ...
worms in house8/30/2009
  Q: I've found 2 inch long, thin brown worms (no legs are obvious) on my bedroom ceiling. they are ...
  A: Paul, I tried to answer yesterday, but we were having some regional Internet access issues. I would ...
bee hive in the ground8/25/2009
  Q: at first we saw lots of little holes all over in the backyard, which we paid no mind, then weeks ...
  A: If this nest is in an area you can avoid till fall sets in, they will die off, unless they are honey ...
Horse Flies!8/24/2009
  Q: I live in an area of tall grasses and lots of live stock. When I'm working, dressed properly and ...
  A: It will be hard to control flying insects that may be a product of the landscape and livestock ...
Blue/Black wasp8/15/2009
  Q: Can these wasps tunnel through some clay & sand underneath my pool with an entry hole approximately ...
  A: Usually wasps and hornets will use existing holes to nest in. Without knowing what sub species of ...
pest in kitchen no droppings8/14/2009
  Q: We seem to have some sort of rodent in our kitchen. We've had 1/2 an avacado eaten over night, soap ...
  A: Since Rats and Mice leave droppings along their paths of travel, you could very well have some other ...
voles,moles8/12/2009
  Q: ooops, Rene - I just sent you an email about wasps that was meant for another expert..sorry. My ...
  A: Hope my answer to the previous question helped anyway. As for the voles/moles. We don't manage these ...
wasps8/12/2009
  Q: Two years ago, during reconstruction from a fire, we discovered about 30 or so wasps nests in the ...
  A: Most likely these were nests that were no longer active when you found them. I'm guessing you ...
Dust Mites8/11/2009
  Q: We have dust mites problems my mother wants to use a bug fogger or bug bomb will this work or is ...
  A: "Bug Bombs" or "Foggers" will be far more harmful to your pets than they will be to the dust mites. ...
silverfish8/7/2009
  Q: by having a air conditioner on will that help prevent the silverfish from coming back or at least ...
  A: I don't know that you can get the house cold enough to adversely effect them. You would most likely ...
Bald Faced Wasps8/4/2009
  Q: We have bald faced wasps eating our deck. I haven't seen the hive yet but they are very bust chewing ...
  A: Sorry for the delay, I'm at a conference and only have time between classes to take care of e-mail. ...
Identification of feces7/31/2009
  Q: I have been having an issue with some sort of pest that lives in or around my lower cabinets. All I ...
  A: Sorry for the delay, I was on my way to a conference and the Internet access was spotty at best. As ...
Large black and white bees7/20/2009
  Q: I live in northern Idaho, last night found a grey paper like ball nest in a bush by our walk way. ...
  A: It looks like a Bald Faced Hornets nest. They can be aggressive if agitated. They will die out in ...
confused7/18/2009
  Q: ok so here is what happened. i am staying with my mom in florida and my worst fear came true, ...
  A: I'm not familar with Palmetto Bugs as I hail from the Pacific Northwest. Boric acid has it's place ...
flys7/3/2009
  Q: We have a huge fly problem in our back yard. The ground is very dry and sandy dust, not much grass. ...
  A: Brenda, First try to catch some samples of the flies and have a entomologist identify the species. ...
mites6/29/2009
  Q: I noticed yesterday that there was little bugs in the room where my canaries were. The next day I ...
  A: Most likely you are seeing Bird Mites. You may be itchy because of the cleansers and insecticides ...
Moths6/8/2009
  Q: Last summer, I found many flying insects that I had not previously seen, in my home. When I smashed ...
  A: If in fact these are clothes moths again, they have to have the right materials to infest to ...
Black caterpillars5/18/2009
  Q: for a few days now there have been hundreds of tiny black caterpillars on my deck and sidings. They ...
  A: I would guess these are some form of ornamental/exterior pest. I would suggest you look into taking ...
black widow5/17/2009
  Q: ok, i know i'm going to sound paranoid, but when i went down to my basement today i swear to god i ...
  A: It certainly sounds like you found a black widow. They commonly will be in areas with little ...
roaches5/7/2009
  Q: IF you look at animals such as shrimp, lobsters, crayfish, crabs, scorpions, cockroaches, etc they ...
  A: Ana, You raise some interesting questions and food for thought. Certainly some species of roaches ...
what is this?4/28/2009
  Q: I've seen quite a few of these (please see the picture) in the house. We live in New Jersey. I am ...
  A: Sally, The picture indicates that you either have Silverfish or Firebrats. Both are rather similar. ...
appropriate storage of firewood4/5/2009
  Q: My new construction vacation home is finished. The association does not allow outside storage of ...
  A: For the most part you should be fine if the wood is dry and on a concrete floor. It sounds like it ...
cluster flies4/5/2009
  Q: every fall cluster flies enter into my attic and I am bothered by them in the house all winter long. ...
  A: There are a few things that can be done either by you or a professional. As the homeowner you can ...
using lizzards, geckos3/26/2009
  Q: First of all , I want to see if it is possible to use a gecko, or small lizard a pest control. We ...
  A: All the people who I have had contact with who used lizards or geckos for pest control later had ...
Green Pest control3/24/2009
  Q: I am a science/green living columnist for FoxNews.com and I am currently putting a story together ...
  A: We have not ventured into this area at our firm. I may be able to get information for you or hook ...
Flies...3/22/2009
  Q: My house is a 4 yr old modular in NY country. The first two years, we had it sprayed on the outside ...
  A: Flies can find many avenues to get into the interior structure of the home. Areas like your wall ...
Tiny black 1/8 " beetle infest house2/20/2009
  Q: I'm not sure this is a beetle but it looks like one. They are mostly in the ceiling and I just ...
  A: I would suggest you have someone who is proficient in identifying wood destroying insects come take ...
rodents in my car engine2/17/2009
  Q: I have had damage to my car wiring caused by rats, mice or other rodents (we have lots of squirrels ...
  A: Short of repairing the car and then keeping it in a sealed structure where rodents have no access ...
pesty problem2/9/2009
  Q: ...I think you may be the right person to ask this to. I live in the most northern part of Ohio. We ...
  A: Sounds like you found the foraging areas of some type of rodent. I would suggest having a ...
get rid of rat!1/25/2009
  Q: I currently have a woodrat living in the motor part of my truck. I have tried to get it out with ...
  A: I would consider moving the truck to a new location if possible. Generally they will be out of the ...
small worms and sowbugs1/4/2009
  Q: I live near Seattle Wash. and have a two storey house, the dnsts. partially in ground. Near the back ...
  A: Sounds like sow bugs and millipedes. You will know if the worm-like insects are black in color, have ...
worms12/28/2008
  Q: I just sent you a question about worms and wanted to add another picture of a different styly worm ...
  A: These are also millipedes. They feed on decaying vegetation and do not do damage to the home. The ...
2 types of worms12/28/2008
  Q: Over the past couple of weeks I have had these 2 types of worms gathering outside my garage door. ...
  A: It seems that you have a large population of millipedes near your home. They live in areas of high ...
Small Flying Insect12/6/2008
  Q: I work in a 3 floor retail company in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. For the past few months we have been ...
  A: One thing you did not mention is the type of business you have. If you have items coming to the ...
cluster flies11/30/2008
  Q: I live in Nebraska and have an insulated steel building on a farm. I have not found a way to keep ...
  A: Cluster flies cannot be controlled this time of year, they have already entered the structure at ...
woodpeckers11/3/2008
  Q: Every fall, I find myself repairing holes in my wood siding due to woodpeckers. I have had a ...
  A: First of all, most wood peckers are protected and cannot be harmed nor can you disturb their nests. ...
mice pilfering bird food10/8/2008
  Q: I'm not certain there's an answer here. I keep tropical finches who eat an expensive diet, and I ...
  A: The key to dealing with rodents is excluding them from the structure. Sounds like you have a healthy ...
Insect nest10/5/2008
  Q: "We have a high ceiling that is over a large picture window in our Seattle home. Some sort of insect ...
  A: This one is just as much a mystery to me as well. I would suggest contacting Eden Pest Technologies, ...
rats10/2/2008
  Q: we moved into a home that was left to us by my grandmother, it sits between two empty delapadated ...
  A: The key to control is sealing them out of the house. Then trapping inside and baiting outside will ...
mice v charcoal10/1/2008
  Q: Recently a friend told me that hanging a open netted bag of charcoal in the basement will help ...
  A: Josh, While the mice may avoid it to begin with they will become habituated to it and eventually set ...
Mites?9/27/2008
  Q: A couple weeks ago I noticed what looked like sand on the front of my door, wiping it off I ignored ...
  A: Sounds like you may have two things going on. For starters, have the little pests you are seeing ...
Rat problems9/24/2008
  Q: I am part of an historical group that meets 1 evening a week and 1 full weekend a month at a ...
  A: Sorry for the tardiness in answering your question as we have had some computer/satellite Internet ...
House flies9/3/2008
  Q: I own a vacation home in Pocono Pa. When we first bought the house 3 years ago we noticed dead ...
  A: It sounds like the flies are using the home to winter over and then gaining access to the interior ...
magots under the patio9/3/2008
  Q: We have noticed maggots appearing from under the patio. We have had dynorod out to inmvestigate and ...
  A: Where there is maggots, there are flies. Flies need a feeding or breeding ground. Once you search ...
Phorid Fly Infestation - Seattle Area9/1/2008
  Q: I am at a total loss and about to begin opening up walls in my home which is going to be very ...
  A: I feel for you and your family, it is very difficult when you know that the key to controling the ...
ants attic8/30/2008
  Q: Crawling up the block side, under the aluminum facia siding and into the attic and back out again ...
  A: If the ants you are seeing are all the same size and trailing in heavy trails of traffic they most ...
unknown droppins8/29/2008
  Q: i recently found weird droppings in a number of places at work. we thought it was from a rat, but ...
  A: They may not be animal droppings at all. They could be the pupae stage of some form of insect. I ...
firewood in basement?7/28/2008
  Q: I am using my unfinished basement (concrete floor and concrete walls) to store firewood from my yard ...
  A: If you are using up your stockpile of wood each year and then cleaning out all the wood debris left ...
bees7/26/2008
  Q: is there anything we can put by our pool to keep the bees from hanging around, such as cherry ...
  A: Most likely they are coming to the pool for water. You can try putting an alternative water source ...
my unwanted pests....7/23/2008
  Q: Ok, so upon moving into a single family house, i have become aware of small mice... I have set a few ...
  A: Sound as though you do have some unwanted "squatters" in your home. First I'll address the mice. You ...
A DEVICE THAT SAFELY DESTROYS WASPS NESTS7/20/2008
  Q: COULD YOU PLEASE REVIEW MY INVENTION AND TELL ME IF I WASTED MY MONEY ON A PATENT, OR IF I CAME UP ...
  A: While you have thought this out pretty much, the flaw I see is that your delivery device uses over ...
pest control outdoors around pets7/19/2008
  Q: I recently purchased a chocolate lab. What would be the safest thing to use in the back yard to ...
  A: It is good you are doing your research before trying any control measures. Both issues would be ...
wages7/5/2008
  Q: if i was to get a job in pest control,what wages can i expect from doing this type of work/ greg
  A: Certainly a service technician with good work ethic, great customer care standards and high ethical ...
small mites7/4/2008
  Q: ok, i've hjad these mite problems for 2/3 years now and i'm getting sick of them. I've noticed they ...
  A: The first thing you should do is collect some samples of the mites and contact an entomologist for ...
pest control by pets7/1/2008
  Q: im a university student in sri lanka. i want to get some information about how the pets like cats ...
  A: sumudu, The only areas where pets are used in pest management are to seek out termites and bed bugs. ...
Cockroaches- AZ7/1/2008
  Q: I'm looking to purchase a home. At viewing today there were at least 20 good sized sewer roaches ...
  A: Buying a home is a exciting and sometimes stressful time, seeing roaches in your new home doesn't ...
tree beetles6/25/2008
  Q: I have 2 oak trees in my yard and 1 is in the process of dying the leaves are half gone. last night ...
  A: The beetles may be feeding on the tree or another insect that is infesting the tree and causing the ...
Squirrels and Racoons6/24/2008
  Q: We just moved into a home that has been vacant for a year. There are squirrels in our attic and a ...
  A: Although wildlife is not a area where we provide services, I can offer some advice to help get you ...
Strange Dirt Mounds on my house6/10/2008
  Q: The past two years I have noticed these little dirt mounds in the corner of my house shutters and I ...
  A: Paul, I would suggest that the next time you remove a mound, have someone identify the insects ...
Wasps/hornets6/9/2008
  Q: What is your opinion of the fake wasp nests that supposedly keep wasps and hornets from nesting ...
  A: In general most pests, insect or the furry kind, will become habituated to anything in their ...
Wasps in house again6/5/2008
  Q: I found a live wasp (yellow jacket,I think) in my computer room on a rug,which has two exterior ...
  A: This is the time of year that queens who have over wintered in the home will emerge. If you are ...
boring beetle problem (powder residue)6/2/2008
  Q: My father lives in Pender Island, BC. His timber frame home has holes and a beetle has been ...
  A: Scott, It will be very important to have the insect identified. There are some beetles that simply ...
moths5/31/2008
  Q: I live in northern Ohio. About this time of year we get, in one room of our house, small brown ...
  A: The moths may be coming from the plants and this activity is part of their normal life cycle. I ...
earwigs! YUCK HELP!5/29/2008
  Q: Please help me! We have lived in the same log home in Granite Falls WA for four years. Last summer ...
  A: Begetta, Earwigs like moist, close in spaces like they found in your jacket. If you live in a home ...
tick----heeeeelp!!!! =o(5/20/2008
  Q: Ifound this insect in my leg I never seen this before,yesterday I found another one under my ...
  A: If the insects head was attached to the skin on your leg, it most likely was a tick. There are ...
Rodent Droppings5/19/2008
  Q: I have mouse and possibly squirrel droppings above the ceiling in my family room. There is also a ...
  A: If the smell is coming through the sheetrock, it is most likely that the sheetrock itself smells. ...
warehouse beetle5/15/2008
  Q: Rene, I read the article from Bob on the carpet beetle problem that he is having in his home. I have ...
  A: Sorry for the delay, for some reason your question just came in, I guess it was held up in cyber ...
Small grey insects in my kitchen5/14/2008
  Q: I noticed this last spring and then they stopped showing up during the fall and winter. Now that it ...
  A: Lauren, The insects you describe sound like Silverfish. Of course having an entomologist or ...
proper rat infestation removal from home5/13/2008
  Q: I am renting in a newly remodeled home that my fiancee and I moved into a month ago. Soon after the ...
  A: Sounds as though you are going through a tough time. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. The ...
little brown bugs in food4/30/2008
  Q: I am having a problem with little brown bug in food in my kitchen and I am in the process of ...
  A: The key to effectively dealing with any stored product pest is to properly identify them and remove ...
little brown bugs4/28/2008
  Q: I have found a couple of really tiny size of a pin-point brown bugs recently in my house. I live in ...
  A: It is best to contact either a entomologist or a pest company with one on staff to positively ...
yellow sac spiders4/24/2008
  Q: How can I get rid of yellow sac spiders in my house. They seem to be gathered in one room. They are ...
  A: Bombs are generally ineffective against spiders as they can close up into a tight ball and avoid the ...
Critter Control4/16/2008
  Q: I have a small boat stored under our summer cabin. The boat has exposed areas of plastic and foam ...
  A: There are a few things you can do. You can use snap traps to lower the population so there is less ...
I think it's a rat4/7/2008
  Q: Help. 10 weeks ago I called in pest control after hearing noises between the floor and ceiling. No ...
  A: Sorry to hear you are having a problem. Hopefully I can help. When you say the pest control guy ...
Rodent Removal....HELP!!4/6/2008
  Q: I am very embarrassed, stressed, & disgusted. For the 1st time in 8 years I have a RAT problem in my ...
  A: No need to be embarrassed, rats can move in and get out of hand quickly before you know they are ...
Indoor bugs4/1/2008
  Q: I have a lot of very small red bugs that are on the inside window sill of my south facing window. I ...
  A: Sometimes when we see insects at a window they are coming from elsewhere in the house, but are ...
Mice and/or squirrel damage to car wiring3/26/2008
  Q: I live in Bloomington, Minnesota and keep my car in the garage. My partner feeds the birds. Birdseed ...
  A: This is the time of year that I receive allot of questions regarding mice or rats. They generally ...
sticky rodent tray3/23/2008
  Q: Accidently got some of the sticky goo from a rodent tray left by Orkin on vacuum brush and roller ...
  A: Try vegetable oil, then follow up with Dawn dishwashing soap (or any dishwashing soap that works ...
hanging nest3/20/2008
  Q: Rene, Thanks for your time! We have a nest of sorts hanging from a tree (just moved into this ...
  A: Alison, This is most likely a hornet or wasp nest that was used by a colony last summer. There are ...
Carpet Beetles3/15/2008
  Q: Rene', My wife and I have lived in a two-story home in Beverly Hills, CA for over six years. Like ...
  A: Sorry for the delay in answering, our network has been undergoing a "facelift" the past few days. As ...
ants2/23/2008
  Q: I live in Portland, Maine. I'm not sure if I have an ant problem or not we've noticed persistent ...
  A: How much you should worry will depend on the species of ant you are seeing. If you are seeing ...
mice2/13/2008
  Q: Is there any kind of bed netting which will prevent a mice from getting on top of the bed during the ...
  A: I think you need to look at the bigger picture here. The fact that you are worried about mice in the ...
hire a pest controller1/23/2008
  Q: how much does it cost to hire a pest controller to spray my house that has two apartments? thank ...
  A: It would not be fair to throw out any type of price for pest management. I can only speak for my ...
our fly problem1/22/2008
  Q: i hope you can help i live in England and work a adventure playground the building is abit like a ...
  A: This time of year it is common to see flies inside as they came in during the fall and are now ...
Squealing noises1/21/2008
  Q: Me and my husband heard a scratching noise in the attic yesterday morning when we woke up. Last ...
  A: Kristie, I do not foresee any danger to sleeping in your room. But there is obviously something ...
flies1/19/2008
  Q: in our old barn we are renovating in france,this year only ,we have had hundereds of black flies ...
  A: It sounds like you have cluster flies that have used the structure to live through the winter, the ...
Tiny black bugs with rubber odour1/16/2008
  Q: I recently returned from visiting family over Christmas and New Years Eve. I was welcomed by a ...
  A: Identification is the first element of control measures. With what you have described we know they ...
American Cockroaches1/15/2008
  Q: Is it pssible to completely get rid of cockroaches. We had a tennant living in the apartment above ...
  A: You mentioned the professional sprayed gel and set traps. I am assuming the gel is a bait. If so ...
Old Rat Droppings1/13/2008
  Q: Is there any health problem posed by the presence of several years-old rat droppings in walls or in ...
  A: You are right to investigate this issue before going ahead with any clean up of the feces you know ...
Carpenter Ants in New Roof1/13/2008
  Q: I had my roof replaced two years ago with a 50-year GAF roof by a GAF amster elite contractor. At ...
  A: It certainly sounds like you have Carpenter Ants. The fact that you have seen them in the siding ...
RE: Powderpost beetles (PPD)1/10/2008
  Q: We recently bought a house that was cleared of all bugs during inspection. We did not do any ...
  A: I am a huge advocate for properly identifying any insect prior to treatment. I guess the one thing ...
annual mouse invasion1/8/2008
  Q: We are beginning our annual mouse invasion. Each year we struggle with mice, and we live in a outer ...
  A: The comment about dealing with your "annual mouse invasion" tells me that your home is not properly ...
Mice12/20/2007
  Q: As I speak, I have 3 types of mouse traps set and still have only caught 2 mice but see signs of ...
  A: I am happy to hear you are not willing or have not used poisons for your mouse problem. There are ...
small black bugs in my bathroom sink, i thought it was mouse poop12/10/2007
  Q: About 2 days ago I noticed small (very small) black things in my bathroom sink and around the sink ...
  A: It is very possible that you have some type of insect that may be falling out of the vent above or ...
Black Bug12/6/2007
  Q: I walked into my kitchen and on the floor was this bug. I attached a picture for you to see. It was ...
  A: Greetings Christine, Although it is tough to pin down the specific sub-species by the picture, it ...
Dead mouse12/6/2007
  Q: I have an odor coming from my wall that smells like sewer gas. I have had a plumber in and he says ...
  A: A dead mouse will smell exactly like a dead mouse, no different than any other dead animals. I don't ...
Bugs all of a sudden11/24/2007
  Q: I moved to Central CA where there are cows/farms. I get bit every night. It seems like the same ...
  A: Sorry to hear you are having a hard time with these mystery bites. These kinds of situations can be ...
Cockroaches11/16/2007
  Q: We've owned a rental home for 12 years without any bug problems whatsoever. A new family just moved ...
  A: Greetings Barry, First let me caution you against using any sprays or bombs. They are highly ...
Paper Wasps in the house11/14/2007
  Q: I bought a house that was not lived in for 16 months prior to my purchase. When my family moved in 4 ...
  A: So it seems that you had no issues except for occasional sightings for most of the time you have ...
Fleas11/12/2007
  Q: I had my apt treated for fleas three weeks ago today, professionally. I can still see them hopping ...
  A: Mary, It sounds as though you are experiencing a re-hatch of fleas. This is not unusual and the ...
Lawn damage11/12/2007
  Q: A 6' x 6' area of my front yard was damaged overnight. Some animal dig approximately 3-4 inch-deep ...
  A: Greetings Mark, I know how frustrating this must be to have some unknown creature disfigure your ...
House Flies11/11/2007
  Q: We just moved into a newly constructed home in a rural/farm setting. However, all the buildings on ...
  A: You are experiencing something that is common this time of year. It sounds like you may have flies ...
Suspected Mice Problem11/9/2007
  Q: I think I have a mouse in my attic, but I'm not sure. Around 3AM every night I here this faint ...
  A: John, You are on the right track in some respects. First of all, pick up and dispose of the baits ...
insect sawdust11/8/2007
  Q: I hope you can help me. I live in north Louisiana. I have a motorhome that seems to have some sort ...
  A: Tee, Certainly the application of products hasn't helped the situation, you need the help of a ...
Potato Bug problem in my house10/25/2007
  Q: I have found a few large potato bugs in my house. These are not roly poly isopods, they are the bugs ...
  A: I agree on the disgusting part when referring to the potato bug! Some factors to consider when ...
Bug Bombs and kids10/22/2007
  Q: I have 2 children, one is almost 3 and the other is 2 months. My daughters room is located upstairs ...
  A: It is good that you are researching before using any over the counter products for your problem. ...
bug identification10/18/2007
  Q: we have recently found a carpenter beetle larvae issue - but have seen no adults. around the same ...
  A: Ann, If you have seen any of my previous answers, I am a huge supporter of proper identification ...
damage from mice10/14/2007
  Q: I know mice will gnaw wood and tear up paper. I want to put a leather couch in my mountain cabin ...
  A: Aileen, Certainly if mice have access to a structure that is only used a portion of the year, ...
Carpet Beetle Larvae10/11/2007
  Q: Maybe you can help us. My wife and I have a carpet beetle LARVAE problem. I estimate that we have ...
  A: First you need to stop using materials upon active materials in and around your house. The materials ...
Bushy tailed wood rat?10/3/2007
  Q: The Allexperts system made me start a new question string. Best I can guess from internet research ...
  A: Having supplied me with a name to match with the face, I did find additional research information on ...
Trouble trapping mice/rats10/1/2007
  Q: I recently discovered what appears to be a mice/rat problem in my attic due to scratching in the ...
  A: You are right to use traps and peanut butter, however if they are not the right kind of traps or the ...
mouse in the wall9/28/2007
  Q: Rene, My wife and I purchased a tri-level home about one year ago and discovered a few mice in the ...
  A: If what you are hearing is in fact a mouse, they need to have access to food and water. Therefore ...
wasps?9/24/2007
  Q: Yesterday (Sunday) at noon I was on a ladder, began sweeping debris off a shed roof on our cabin. ...
  A: Mike, Sounds like you disturbed some sort of stinging/biting insect (could have been both as some ...
Yellow Jacket Colony9/21/2007
  Q: I was reading one of your previous responses and wanted to ask you a follow-up question regarding ...
  A: Jon, In your case I am sure that by the next visit you will see little to no activity as fall ...
Silverfish issue in the house9/18/2007
  Q: I live in Chicago and in my townhome, I have a silverfish and spider issues. I have sprayed my house ...
  A: Silverfish are very difficult to control, especially if the structure has a wood shake roof. Since ...
wasps/hornets9/17/2007
  Q: I live in Rhode Island. I have what appear to be either wasps or hornets entering a small hole ...
  A: First of all do not seal up the entrance/exit hole the wasps/hornets are currently using. This would ...
could it be termites?9/12/2007
  Q: There are noises in the back of my parents' bed. It is a buzzing noise that comes on and off...do ...
  A: Termites do not make buzzing sounds, so you shouldn't need to worry about them. There are two pests ...
caterpillars9/10/2007
  Q: I have lots of caterpillars all over my house and windows. How do I get rid of them? They rae gren ...
  A: Sounds like some sort of ornamental insect, meaning it comes primarily from plant life, but is ...
mice9/9/2007
  Q: Rene, I am planning to store a van that I own for a while and I know that mice and rats will build ...
  A: Frank, There is no repellents to keep the mice from trying to get into your van. I would suggest ...
Small Flying Insects9/9/2007
  Q: we recently had a baby and of course any pests in the house, we try to rid of. Recently, we've been ...
  A: The key to dealing with small flying insects is usually identification and removing their breeding, ...
gnats9/8/2007
  Q: how do kill them when they are inside a house?
  A: Mark, There are over-the-counter products that are designed for dealing with flying insects. However ...
identifying feces9/8/2007
  Q: I live in San Diego and have noticed feces around my pond, pool deck. This feces, I believed came ...
  A: Greg, A picture is worth a thousand words, It sounds like it could be rat feces due to the size, ...
Animal in the Wall?8/20/2007
  Q: I live in a townhouse in center city philadelphia. About a week ago I noticed a pretty nasty smell ...
  A: There are a few things to consider. The first is to rule out that some kind of animal has died under ...
Finding a rat8/17/2007
  Q: We live in a very old house (1700s). Early in the year, there was a rat in and around the kitchen. ...
  A: The fact that you have a older home creates some difficulty in dealing with rodent problems in ...

All Questions in This Category

Pest Control

Rene Kesecker

Top Expert on this page