Pest Control/Questions Answered by Expert Stephen Vantassel

SubjectDate Asked
raccoons in my home8/25/2016
  Q: for a week now I have a raccoon in the under belly of my trailer home &can hear it in the flooring ...
  A: Long answer with some repetition. READ ALL OF IT. First, know the laws in your state. Many people ...
how to control moles along the road2/10/2016
  Q: which pesticides that i can use to control moles along the roads side?
  A: Sorry, I have no experience with moles in Africa. If the species has similar behavior to north ...
Mole Elimenation1/24/2016
  Q: I have a mole issue here in the sandy soils of NE Texas. Their burrows are quit visible. This is our ...
  A: Your solution sounds rather dangerous and illegal. Off label use of pesticides is a serious ...
grey digger squirrels5/28/2014
  Q: We live in Yamhill OR in the country and are surrounded nudie trees and farm land. A rock wall near ...
  A: I have never heard of "gray diggers". Are you referring to California ground squirrels? If you ...
wild rabbits5/24/2014
  Q: I own a hilly property with in the city of Beverly Hills, CA. I am being over run by wild rabbits ...
  A: You didn't provide the species of rabbit. So here is a link to a page with a chapter on cottontail ...
MOLES - I Think - HELP5/11/2014
  Q: I have mounds all over my lawn - I believe these are mole tunnels. Some of my landscape is also just ...
  A: Doesn't sound like moles. Moles don't attack plant roots. You probably have pocket gophers and/or ...
Tunnels with no mounds9/29/2013
  Q: We live in north Texas, and I've found some soft spots near driveway that would indicate ...
  A: Moles don't always mound. Mounds are the result of deep tunnels because they have to manually bring ...
Tree Squirrels8/14/2013
  Q: How to get rid of squirrels that have eaten our vegetables, such as Tomato's, Watermelon, Squash, ...
  A: Controlling Gray Squirrels The best way is to place the plants in a protective cage. But since most ...
skunk6/21/2013
  Q: A small family of skunks has moved under my backyard shed. We have seen a Mom and 3 young skunks. ...
  A: Skunks under decks/porches 1. Learn the wildlife control laws in your state by contacting state ...
Wood rats4/23/2013
  Q: Well then i saw a couple of wood rats running around in my garage in the next couple weeks. I never ...
  A: Given the rarity of woodrats, I am a little surprised you identified the culprits as woodrats. ...
Rabbit eating my car3/26/2013
  Q: Today I had repairs done in my car for the second time in 6 months because rabbits are eating the ...
  A: First, do you have examples of gnawed damage that can be shipped? Proper I'd of the culprit saves ...
squirrels3/18/2013
  Q: I live in an apartment on the 1st Floor. I hear squirrels in the crawl spaces between the floors I ...
  A: My publication should work. ...
Pigeons2/8/2013
  Q: I have a problem with pigeons on my roof. I know there are bird repellents I can buy but the main ...
  A: http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/pages/publicationD.jsp?publicationId=1300 read this pub as it ...
Sporicidin vs Removal and Restoration1/22/2013
  Q: In a nut shell. "Heavy" rat infestation in attic. Owner of home not willing to spend money for attic ...
  A: Anyone spraying chemicals had better have a pesticide license, especially in California, one of the ...
Squirrel In Kitchen1/8/2013
  Q: My husband and I recently bought a house with an addition to the kitchen area with a skylight. ...
  A: Everyone should be laughing at the ultrasonic devices because there is no evidence they work on ...
Mounts of dirt at the edge of my patio.10/21/2012
  Q: Twice a year for many years now there will appear 3-6 fresh mounts of dirt at the edge of my ...
  A: You didn't describe the mound's shape, was it round, kidney shaped? It sounds like pocket gophers. ...
damage to potatoes9/18/2012
  Q: I planted various types of potatoes this year in upstate NY. As I harvested them, many had been ...
  A: Unfortunately, there is no "best" method any more than there is a "best" vehicle. It all depends on ...
frog problem9/11/2012
  Q: I live near a lake and when I open my door at night a lot of forgs try to get in to my apartment is ...
  A: Frogs Exclusion. Keep frogs out of your house by performing a thorough inspection of your building, ...
gnawing animal living under porch9/4/2012
  Q: Gnawed 3-/1/2 in round hole in wood lattice work on each end of porch,assume living under porch,any ...
  A: first, don't assume anything. Use the paper test to determine if the hole is still active. Details ...
squirrels5/9/2012
  Q: I noticed a couple days ago about 5 squirrels eating the grass from my backyard. I also have a ...
  A: First, you need to inspect your home to see if they are already living there. Squirrels don't climb ...
moles4/29/2012
  Q: I have found after the winter months I have lost approximately 20 plants due to moles. Some plants ...
  A: Seriously doubt the problem was moles. Voles, pocket gophers, or mountain beaver depending where ...
Mouse droppings left behind.4/23/2012
  Q: I recently purchased a home with what appears to have been a pretty decent rodent problem. I had the ...
  A: Ultimately, you are asking a medical question that I can't answer. It all "depends". Is it likely ...
red squirrels2/6/2012
  Q: We have I red squirrels in our walls. Our home was built in the early 1970's. The Critter experts ...
  A: Sounds like you have a company that has a clue. Yes, red squirrels can enter structures at ground ...
Tricky Rat1/25/2012
  Q: Vantassel, My townhouse community experienced an increase in rats several months ago so the manager ...
  A: Don't waste your time with repellents unless you have lots of money to throw away. Don't know how ...
Rodent soiled insulation replacement question1/24/2012
  Q: I saw a question posted to you by someone else regarding a problem that I have as well. ...
  A: I think this is a tough question. It's relative. You didn't say what kind of rodents, it does make a ...
Mice Holes1/5/2012
  Q: I bought a new end-unit townhouse which has a mice problem. I understand why the mice are here ...
  A: How did the exterminator inspect? Did he use a ladder, black light, non-toxic tracking powder? Go ...
yellow stains11/28/2011
  Q: I was cleaning out a closet when I noticed some yellow stains on the floor. I had previously put ...
  A: I seriously doubt the problem is mice. Their urine output is in microdroplets. Also you would see ...
mice trap rates-- when to call pros10/26/2011
  Q: We caught 1 mouse by hand a month ago when it started getting cold. A few weeks later my wife ...
  A: I don't think so. First, you are likely not using enough traps. You should be using dozens. At least ...
wood chuck10/8/2011
  Q: any ideas as to how to nicely get rid of a couple wood chucks that are eating our tomatoes and ...
  A: Woodchucks usually bury their feces. As for control, note that translocation is against the law in ...
Packrat smell in a stored fridge9/27/2011
  Q: We have a kerosene fridge stored on a porch of our cabin in a wilderness area. Apparently the door ...
  A: Principles of deodorizing can be found by searching for the Skunk Deodorizing NebGuide. As for ...
miniature tree frogs8/11/2011
  Q: I have hundreds of these critters all over our home, they are a nuisance number one but they ...
  A: I wasn't sure from your posting whether the frogs were INSIDE the structure of your home (i.e. ...
Rats invading residential buildings7/29/2011
  Q: Stephen, Hope you know about rats. I own several houses I rent out to college students in a ...
  A: Okay, you have asked a lot of questions that don't have short answers. Starting from the bottom, ...
mole in the ground6/16/2011
  Q: How can I get rid of a mole in my backyard. Although the mole is causing holes in the yard, the ...
  A: I am a bit confused. Moles don't create holes as these would simply make it easier for predators to ...
Need help identifying small mounds in lawn6/14/2011
  Q: I live in RI and have had a problem for several years of small dirt mounds about 2-3" round about ...
  A: Use a screwdriver to probe the middle of the mound. It should be soft. Sometimes when you dig, you ...
Mice5/31/2011
  Q: Just to give you a little background for the mice problem we've been having. We're living in a very ...
  A: First, d-con is good, but even single-feed anticoagulants take 3 days (min) to kill the mice so as ...
Rat problem5/18/2011
  Q: My tenant told me that he saw a small rat ran into his house when the day next door neighbor moved ...
  A: It's a tough call as I don't know where you live. Norway rats (the most common in the U.S.) normally ...
Raccoons5/6/2011
  Q: unfortunately think I have some raccoons breeding under my deck.........I put up 2x4s against the ...
  A: Not sure who told you to secure the deck when you already had a problem. That should have been done ...
Moles/Gophers4/11/2011
  Q: We just purchased a log cabin. There are a total of 5 homes on our street, each on 2 to 5 acres, ...
  A: Sorry you wasted your time with gum (what brand? I heard of juicy fruit the myth is unclear whether ...
Mounds of soil?4/10/2011
  Q: I was out in the yard and saw a bunch of mounds of soil. At first i thought it was moles, but there ...
  A: Not sure what you mean by holes. Moles don't create holes. Voles do but moles want a closed system. ...
skunk in house4/2/2011
  Q: The skunk is held up behind my dryer in the bathroom. I have made a trail of sardines and made a ...
  A: first off, you need to be patient. I would simply create a path for him to the outdoors. Come 12 ...
flying squirrels3/10/2011
  Q: I have a cedar boarded cabin in the woods near a lake near Corsicana, Tx. There are flying squirrels ...
  A: I would love some photos. svantassel2@unl.edu I don't make specific company recommendations ...
mice advice2/27/2011
  Q: I know I have mice but I'm catching very few of them. You had written, in a response to someone ...
  A: Pantyhose is used to wrap metal triggers to force the mouse to bite the trigger rather than lick it. ...
Moles in Yard2/22/2011
  Q: How do we get rid of moles? They are tearing up the yard and My sister has 2 dogs that stay outside. ...
  A: Getting rid of moles Before anything make sure the problem you are complaining of is moles and not ...
Stubborn mice1/4/2011
  Q: I have a strange mouse problem. Decon isnt working. Sticky traps are not working. Live traps are ...
  A: You have raised many issues. I think first off, you need to understand a little more about mouse ...
Gray diggers1/2/2011
  Q: I have hundreds of holes in my backyard. I don't know where they come from. There is no dirt turned ...
  A: I need a lot more information like size of holes, photos would help. I have never heard of a gray ...
rat in my new car12/23/2010
  Q: I had my new car 10 days when a car in front of me launched a giant piece of retread at me while ...
  A: Legal questions should be submitted to a lawyer. If you need help in investigating the case, your ...
Mice in wall cavities11/29/2010
  Q: I am often hearing scratching from within the walls of my entire flat. I have yet to see a mouse or ...
  A: There is a world between your walls. Visit our site and read how to inspect for wildlife damage. ...
Moles and Rats in Crawl Space11/25/2010
  Q: Yikes! I've got a big problem with moles on my property- I've been somewhat successful trapping ...
  A: My first question is to ask if you are certain the species is moles and not voles. 15 moles is a ...
piles of dirt made by wild animal in my yard10/15/2010
  Q: I have seen piles of soil in my yard (see picture), probably made by wild animal but i have never ...
  A: Unfortunately, you didn't tell me where you live. So I don't know for sure if it is pocket gopher or ...
Raccoon Damage10/12/2010
  Q: I have some significant raccoon damage in my front yard. This happens to be in an area that went ...
  A: With any pesticide, follow the label as the label is the law. As for whether treatment will help ...
bad pest control service10/12/2010
  Q: My parents have had a pest control service for 30 plus years and, according to me, they have ALWAYS ...
  A: My expertise in insects is limited. But a statement suggesting always having a bug problem raises a ...
Rats9/30/2010
  Q: I have some rental houses in a small west coast city. I have done business there in the rental ...
  A: THe short answer is yes. Rats in daylight means they are under stress, typically due to ...
Woodpeckers pecking my cedar shingles9/23/2010
  Q: Found your response to a question a few years ago and saw that you had said "DON'T USE" next to ...
  A: Don't recall. But frightening devices are NEVER a sure thing. they work best when used a. ...
gophers9/22/2010
  Q: about a month ago I was having issues with gophers making holes on my front yard so my gardener ...
  A: Gophers means different things to different people. I need to know what specific species you are ...
Squirrels!9/20/2010
  Q: We've got them. They were removed years ago but they are back with vengeance and multiplying. Can ...
  A: I certainly could, but without further information, it would be hard to give a quote. As for ...
chewed potato's and torn out-door furniture9/8/2010
  Q: A couple weeks ago I found a a chewed up potato in my garage, from a bag that I kept there. I threw ...
  A: Not enough information. What kind of damage to the potato? Width of tooth marks? What is the size ...
mice9/4/2010
  Q: I have two indoor kitties and mice for the first time. Yesterday I bought a sonic something to plug ...
  A: I am sorry to hear that you bought an ultrasound device. There is no research-based evidence that ...
moles8/10/2010
  Q: How is the best way to get rid of moles, I have traps,chemicals nothing has worked, what is your ...
  A: Traps certainly work. I know because I used them as part of my business before the citizens of ...
voles/moles destroying garden7/21/2010
  Q: I have mounds of dirt, dead flower roots that were newly planted and holes in the ground around the ...
  A: First off, let's be clear about the problem. Moles are insectivores. They aren't interested in your ...
moles7/19/2010
  Q: Last year I had new sod installed and have enjoyed the new lawn until this morning when I found a ...
  A: Yes, it is sad the citizens of Washington decided to vote against sound wildlife management and in ...
Noise in wall7/17/2010
  Q: I hear a noise in the morning between 8 and 10 that started out faint, but now is louder (closer?) ...
  A: Noises of a consistent repetitive (over days) nature are typically mechanical. Noise itself is a ...
Moles7/13/2010
  Q: I have lived in same place for 8 years now on an acre of land mostly lawn in Southern Illinois. We ...
  A: The short answer is NO. Populations change, move, expand, decline, and habitat changes all combine ...
Voles or Mice?6/30/2010
  Q: I have some rodents living around my house and I was wondering what they are. At first, I was sure ...
  A: Voles and mice, doesn't matter much as far as control issues. You could also have both. Why not set ...
moles6/27/2010
  Q: I am having a problem with moles. Or, rather, my lawn is! I purchased Sweeney's pellets and their ...
  A: I have lots of advice on mole control. First, keep trapping. Trapping is effective and toxicant ...
Sanitizer6/21/2010
  Q: The rat infestation in our attic has been solved, but now we are faced with cleanup. Various pest ...
  A: Sorry, I can't comment. The information on the site was pretty boiler plate. To make a proper ...
vole/mole moletox applied6/19/2010
  Q: "I feel so stupid! I got moletox from someone to apply to my yard to get rid of the problem we/our ...
  A: First, moles and voles are completely different animals that effect different kinds of damage. ...
bats6/18/2010
  Q: we have a rental house where bats get in through the top side of the house from a hole. how can we ...
  A: Who told you they needed to be trapped? Your tenant should not be touching bats without weather ...
mice6/11/2010
  Q: I recently have been getting mice in our basement, I believe they are getting in from the foundation ...
  A: I have more advice than should be put here. Visit http://icwdm.org/handbook/rodents/HouseMice.asp ...
squrriel damage on gas line6/10/2010
  Q: Squirrels continue to chew the gas line on my Ford Ranger. Will undercoating my truck help prevent ...
  A: Protecting vehicles from Wildlife damage Protecting vehicles from wildlife damage requires a three ...
Not Sure What We Have6/7/2010
  Q: Porch is old and developed cracks and settling and recently notice dirt or tunneling activity, seen ...
  A: Hmm. Moles and voles are quite different in looks. Perhaps it was a fleeting look. I need a lot ...
Armedillo5/24/2010
  Q: Our yard has been invaded by bunch of armadillos. We see few holes side by side every morning.They ...
  A: Tide eh? Haven't heard that one yet. It is likely that the use of that product in such a way was ...
Squirrels4/25/2010
  Q: Squirrels have been stocking pine cones in ares of the engine in my car. My car is in a townhouse ...
  A: You didn't identify the species but I would suggest moving your car farther away from wooded areas. ...
Squirrel(s??) stuck in roof4/21/2010
  Q: I am having an issue with what appears to be several squirrels in my roof line. The problem started ...
  A: I seriously doubt that squirrels are "stuck" in your roof. Sounds like the squirrels have made a ...
GROUND HOGS4/18/2010
  Q: My parents have 2 groundhogs living under the front of the home. They want to do some landscaping ...
  A: Woodchucks are no more harmful to humans than any other wildlife. In fact, your neighbor's dog poses ...
Moles and Chipmunks3/22/2010
  Q: I am having and have had problems with moles in my yard. What is the best suggestion you have to ...
  A: Lots. Moles, the best method is trapping, assuming it is legal in your state. Otherwise, you are ...
Holes in yard3/12/2010
  Q: I moved into my house last June and while there were some holes in the yard (landlord said prev ...
  A: I suspect you are dealing with two different creatures. Crayfish make the vertical mudtubes. The ...
Rabbit infestation and lots of snakelike trenches in yard3/11/2010
  Q: We moved into a new house in Illinois last year and found lots of rabbits. During summer last year, ...
  A: Not sure why you need to get rid of the rabbits as you didn't say what the problem was. Easiest ...
Dirt Mounds3/9/2010
  Q: I live in suburban Boston on an acre of land. Last fall and again as we speak there is something ...
  A: Sounds like moles. You could have starnose moles. Unfortunately, you live in a state whose citizens ...
snake like trenches in yard3/3/2010
  Q: We have just noticed these trenches in our front yard. It looks like someone took a bike and ...
  A: I think it is a problem you can resolve on your own. I would read our literature on vole control ...
mice2/24/2010
  Q: We constantly hear numerous mice in the attic and have "removed" over 60 mice from our house in the ...
  A: What are the risks? It depends. What kind of mice are they? Deer mice? then hantavirus is a problem. ...
Voles/Shrews2/22/2010
  Q: We have noticed what we thought were mice in our home for the past two years. They are very black ...
  A: Not sure what you mean by pesticides. Do you mean toxic baits? I hope you didn't spray anything. I ...
Crayfish damage control2/5/2010
  Q: We bought our first home here in East Texas about 6 months ago, during the dry season. After several ...
  A: Crawfish, These can be tough. The following link contains a document that will help you sort out ...
we found holes in our car's backseat1/26/2010
  Q: my husband and i found holes in our car's back seat in one day. something chew the back seat to get ...
  A: Sounds like a rodent to me, which can include mice, voles, rats, chipmunks, squirrels. Without ...
Squirrels in my Engine1/21/2010
  Q: I recently broke down at night. After some work on my car, I made it home, I had my car checked. I ...
squirrel1/16/2010
  Q: I have a client who thinks there is a squirrel in the walls. What is the best way to get rid of it ...
  A: I am a bit confused. I don't know who told you that poison was even an option but I am not aware of ...
Moles in my yard12/10/2009
  Q: I am overran by moles in my yard. I have tried the poisons and the smoke bombs to no avail. Please ...
Chipmunk12/7/2009
  Q: We have had this chipmunk around our house for about 8 months now. There are 2 holes on one side of ...
  A: Chipmunks and Structures Inspection: Find how they are entering the structure. Look for 1Ē holes ...
raccoons11/16/2009
  Q: Good evening, my name is Kate. We recently bought a house and later discovered that raccoons(don't ...
  A: Raccoons in Attic. Find out the trapping laws in your state visit ...
armadillo or possum11/8/2009
  Q: I have seen both armadillo and possum on my property. something has burrowed under the shed and has ...
  A: The problem is your damage is so diverse that you could have both doing things and even skunks may ...
squirrels in the car's fan housing11/7/2009
  Q: Squirrels have been storing their acorn in my car's fan housing; as a result, they did about $200 ...
  A: My first question is how do you know the culprit is squirrels and not mice? Proper identification ...
mouse query10/29/2009
  Q: THis is a query about mice damaging wires etc under the bonnet of my husband's Jeep. We live in ...
mice and mole control10/21/2009
  Q: We have 15 acres in the Springville, Ny area. On two arces we mow the lawn have fruit trees and have ...
  A: You have voles. Moles eat insects. Voles eat plants. Controlling Vole Damage ...
nest under the hood10/5/2009
  Q: I just discovered an animal nest under the hood of my vehicle, form which the creature chew through ...
Gophers--10/2/2009
  Q: Mr. Vantassel, I live on 5 acres in a rural location in northwestern West Texas. We have only been ...
  A: Gophers Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, I am not exactly sure what you mean by gophers ...
Holes dug in front yard - skunks? raccoons?10/1/2009
  Q: Philadelphia suburbs, Bucks County, PA This is a new phenomenon at my house. I'm on 1/2 acre with ...
  A: I think you have skunks. Skunks Skunks Damaging Turf If the skunk is just damaging your ...
Shrews and moles9/29/2009
  Q: I live in Brooklyn Center Minnesota and I have witnessed what I thought were mice for the first time ...
  A: I have provided information on mice control below. As for whether you have shrews or mice, I can't ...
Mouse Pellet Cleanup9/28/2009
  Q: I'm still suffering from mice in the pantry. We found shredded wrappers in one of our pots (the pots ...
  A: Second question first, make your traps' trigger more sensitive. Second, tie a small piece of nylon ...
Squirrels9/9/2009
  Q: How do I stop an annoying squirrel from chewing on my kids very thick plastic sand box cover (it's ...
  A: It is a violation of FEDERAL law to say that any EPA registered product is safe. So I certainly ...
mice that don't eat9/7/2009
  Q: Three times in the last two days we have found what we believe to be mouse droppings on our table. ...
  A: Your first job is to accurately id the culprit. visit http://icwdm.org and read their information on ...
squirrels9/2/2009
  Q: We have a problem with squirrels getting into our car engines and doing damage. We also have dogs ...
  A: First don't waste your time with repellents. See further details below. Protecting vehicles from ...
earthworms and moles8/9/2009
  Q: Earthworms and moles have totally ruined my yard. I live next to water in Kansas. First I noticed ...
  A: First, are you certain the problem is earthworms and not cray fish? Second, moles are easily ...
Skunk odor7/10/2009
  Q: We have an older colonial (circa 1930) with an open porch built over dirt. A family of woodchucks ...
  A: Sounds like a skunk has taken up residence. I would suggest you read our literature on skunk control ...
Holy Moles!7/9/2009
  Q: Please help? What do I do to get rids of these hole creating pests>?!?
  A: Holes? Moles create tunnels and don't want them to open up to the air. So I am a bit confused as to ...
animal chewing house7/6/2009
  Q: My home is in a lakeside location,not heavily wooded, other homes around. Right at our garages ...
  A: The first question is what is causing the problem. I suspect squirrels. As for prevention, lots ...
ground squirrel6/29/2009
  Q: I live in Illinois and have a cute little 13-striped ground squirrel who lives under my front stoop. ...
  A: I am intrigued at why you think trapping won't work. If you trap and kill the squirrel, won't it ...
squirrels6/23/2009
  Q: how to keep squirrels from coming in and running around in the ceilings. have fixed the side of ...
  A: this is a difficult question to answer in a brief way because there are so many variables. First, ...
Possum6/16/2009
  Q: we have a small wild possum that has learned how to come into our home through the doggie door. Our ...
  A: The short answer is there is nothing that will keep that possum away. I strongly suggest you close ...
raccoons in the underbelly of my mobile home6/12/2009
  Q: we belive we have some raccoons in the underbelly of our mobile home. we have 3 live traps ...
  A: My first piece of advice is to do a thorough inspection according to the guidelines at the icwdm.org ...
Red squirrels in house6/12/2009
  Q: I have a severe problem with red squirrels in my walls/attic. I have finally found the hole in the ...
  A: Yes there are some things to keep in mind but how much risk you have depends on a wide variety of ...
Moles6/11/2009
  Q: What is the most successful way to rid yard of moles? We have tried traps, sprayed to rid the yard ...
  A: I am sorry but trapping is extremely successful, I should know I made part of my living trapping ...
rodents damaging automobile parts6/8/2009
  Q: I have twice in the past four years had some kind of rodent damage on the line input to my ...
  A: I can't recommend a repellent because there are none that will work. Protecting vehicles from ...
Holes6/8/2009
  Q: last year when i bought my home I was restoring the front porch. under it i found a large hole like ...
  A: Could be a woodchuck. You need to give me a lot more information. First, is the hole still active? ...
squirel was killed6/4/2009
  Q: well, its been 2 springs now,that my attic window/area was used by squirels to have thier ...
  A: That is a strange site. Need clarification on your meaning of skinned. Skinned as in only the pelt ...
RACCOON6/1/2009
  Q: HOW TO GET RID OF RACCOON WITH BABIES THAT HAVE NESTED IN FLAT TIN ROOF OF MY HOME. CAN I USE ...
  A: Raccoons in Attic. (I would not recommend cayenne pepper). Find out the trapping laws in your ...
Possem5/30/2009
  Q: We have a possem in our yard, I need to know the best way of getting rid of it! We have a small dog ...
  A: Not sure whether you mean, the possum is living in your yard, such as under a shed. or whether the ...
voles in my backyard5/26/2009
  Q: I recently discovered that we have voles in our backyard. After seraching and looking on the ...
  A: You have asked a number of questions. I will assume that you have accurately diagnosed the problem ...
mystery wildlife droppings5/23/2009
  Q: I am renting a vacation cottage in Madison, Co., Virginia which was formerly the hayloft of an old ...
  A: Droppings with white in them can be birds, snakes, or even lizards. I think your assessment that the ...
moles5/22/2009
  Q: how can you humanely stop moles making holes in your lawns or grass area. if not humanely is there ...
  A: I would need more information on how you define humane. If you want to know what is effective then ...
rabbit droppings/urine5/16/2009
  Q: for 3 years we've had horrible dry patches in our lawn. The sprinkler system seems to be hitting ...
  A: It is certainly possible. Urine is highly acidic. I trust you have already ruled out dogs, disease, ...
Groundhogs5/12/2009
  Q: If we fumigate: 1-how do we get the item down far enough, or will the smoke eventually find its way? ...
  A: Fumigation has risks so it is important to do the following. 1. Follow the label. The Label is the ...
noise in walls4/29/2009
  Q: We have a family room addition off our kitchen. My wife (whose hearing is much more acute than ...
  A: Noises, unfortunately, only tell us that there is a problem not what the problem is. I suspect ...
Racoons4/27/2009
  Q: Is a licensed extermainter allowed to trap and shoot a racoon?
  A: That all depends on the state. Typically, wildlife control requires a license from the department ...
Dead bird in chimney4/23/2009
  Q: I had been advised by a tenant that there was a dead bird in my chimney. I hired a company to come ...
  A: Unfortunately, I can't answer your question because it is unclear what kind of chimney you have. Do ...
Green Tree Frog in The House4/18/2009
  Q: What can I do to get rid of a green tree frog that hopped past me at the front door. It hopped away ...
  A: I would begin by securing all the doors and wedging towels under the doors to be sure he can't move ...
animal in my wall4/15/2009
  Q: 2 nights ago i was sleeping on my couch near the front door a noise woke me it was coming from the ...
  A: I would be cautious of diagnosing the species by noise alone. A wide variety of animals can scratch ...
moles4/15/2009
  Q: i would like your opinion on a product called TALPIRID. it is a mole bait, looks like a worm, and ...
  A: Toxicants are your only alternative unless you decide to change the habitat of your property such as ...
voles4/13/2009
  Q: with the snow gone we have seen all our grass in the back yard being dug up, also next door to us ...
  A: Voles can be living underneath the hot tub. Sounds like you are using a toxicant. Be sure to follow ...
musk rat around my lake3/25/2009
  Q: How do I rid this pest? I have found the over ground entrance hole about 1 foot from water's edge. ...
  A: You can't use poison as you are not licensed to do so and even if you were, it is highly unlikely ...
Red Squirrels in house3/18/2009
  Q: WE HAVE A HOME IN JAMESTOWN, PA. IT IS UP FOR SALE BUT UNFORTUNATELY, THE PAST YEAR OR SO, WE HAVE ...
  A: Sealing the holes is the first of the problem. Not sure who told you to do that but it is not what I ...
Mole infestation2/15/2009
  Q: I have a very serious mole infestation. There are mounds of dirt throughout my one acre lawn. I ...
  A: I wish you had contacted me first. As you have discovered, even with 100% grub eradication, you can ...
ground squirrels2/12/2009
  Q: My yard that I rent my house in Tualitan, had a few holes in it when i moved in. Now there are HOLES ...
  A: Although you didn't ask, I assume that you wanted information on how to control them. Visit ...
Squirrels nesting in my awning2/12/2009
  Q: I've had a retractable awning on my back deck for years without a problem. However, squirrels have ...
  A: I am not sure I understand what you mean by traps deterring squirrels. THere are no traps that I am ...
Lawn critters2/9/2009
  Q: ...I think you may be the right person to ask this to. I live in the most northern part of Ohio. We ...
  A: Five inches wide trail is pretty big. Is there any chance the measurement is wrong? Otherwise, what ...
mole, gopher control2/3/2009
  Q: We just had mounds of dirt appearing at the edges of our lawn. Not sure who is responsible for ...
  A: Your first step is to identify the culprit. Visit http://icwdm.org/Inspection/gardengrass.asp read ...
Will gopher/mole damage foundation?2/1/2009
  Q: I have seen lots of loose dirt along the front wall. A 8 foot tree was uproot by some kind of ...
  A: I seriously doubt that the repeller worked. It is more likely that the animal left the area for ...
Squirrel vs Automobile1/18/2009
  Q: How can I keep squirrels fom chewing the gas lines under my car? I have seen the squirrels climbing ...
  A: Unfortunately, there are no easy answers for you. Here are some options, some I am sure you ...
Kitchen Wall Scratching at the Same Time Each Day.1/13/2009
  Q: Same time each day 750a-800a. Once a light is turned on, or a noise made from inside, by one of us, ...
  A: My standard answer is below. But since it doesn't quite cover what your situation involves, I need ...
Racons in pool1/10/2009
  Q: I have Raccoons using my pool at night for feeding and as raccoons will do when they're finished ...
  A: Mothballs are noxious to mammals. But to achieve the repellent effective you would probably need ...
how to prevent rats1/7/2009
  Q: i am sapna bhalla from chandigarh. i have rats in my house. these rats are very tiny so they don't ...
  A: I trust you are referring to rats and not mice. I also assume you are referring to Norway rats and ...
"seeds" found in closet1/5/2009
  Q: We have been in a new home in the Northeast for six months. Off of the upstairs bathroom is a small ...
  A: hmm. Any photos? I would need some more information. Perhaps the easiest way to begin would be to ...
Squirrels Eating Grass1/2/2009
  Q: I live in Florida and recently have a group of squirrels that are eating the grass in my backyard. ...
  A: Before I answer the question I need some more information. Are you sure the squirrels are eating ...
Moles / Voles / Racoons12/25/2008
  Q: I live in a 2.5 acre wooded lot. Every year during late summer and fall I have many holes in the ...
  A: First, is your neighbor catching moles or voles with his "live trap"? Big difference between these ...
armiddillo12/2/2008
  Q: i feel that there is a armadillo under my house. i live in a mobile and just the last few weeks here ...
  A: Without more information, I will have to assume your diagnosis is correct. I would just caution you ...
noise in attic12/2/2008
  Q: I keep hearing noise comming from above the bedroom at 7pm have placed traps in attic, and even ...
  A: You didn't say what kind of traps. Plus if the infestation is new it is not unusual for you to see ...
tapping noise in my walls11/11/2008
  Q: I have lived in my apartment for over a year now and every night I hear this tapping noise. If I ...
  A: Sounds can be difficult to diagnose as different people "hear" differently. In light of those ...
moles11/10/2008
  Q: I live in Minnesota and have a very small yard surrounded by woods. I cannot seem to control or ...
Rat poison11/6/2008
  Q: I need to spread some rat poison in my garden (surrounded by chain linked fence). I have seen 2 of ...
  A: First, you shouldn't be "spreading" poison around. Toxicants should be placed inside tamper ...
electromagnetic/ultrasound mice repellents10/5/2008
  Q: In your experience, do these devices work?
  A: These devices have been shown to be highly effective at separating money from people's wallets. Not ...
shrews10/2/2008
  Q: I got your message, however, I was wandering if you had any suggestions on what to put on the traps ...
  A: http://www.icwdm.org/handbook/index.asp Same site I directed you to before, is the same site with ...
rodent in basement10/1/2008
  Q: We found a pile of rodent feces in our basement (we think anyway) - it is only in one spot but a ...
  A: Unfortunately, I don't have much to go on with your description. I am not even sure you have a ...
ground moles9/29/2008
  Q: What is the most inexpensive way to get rid of ground moles? It would mean a great deal to me as ...
  A: Least expensive depends on how valuable your time is. If time is not a factor then trapping hands ...
beaver damage9/27/2008
  Q: We have just found that beavers have taken 4 limbs off an apple tree we have beside our house within ...
  A: Yes, the easiest and best solution for your particular problem is to fence the tree to prevent ...
Mouse prevention for stored vehicle9/21/2008
  Q: I am about to store my Ford Explorer for the winter outdoors under a carport in Maine. What should I ...
  A: Protecting vehicles can be tough, especially if you are are quality mouse habitat, such as near tall ...
mice keep getting in my truck9/18/2008
  Q: We have a problem with mice in my SUV. We can not find any way for them to get in. What can we do to ...
  A: You have to do a top to bottom inspection looking for holes 3/8 of inch or larger. Frankly, I think ...
bats or birds9/16/2008
  Q: For the last two evenings I have watched about 100 small birds fly around my neighbors house then ...
  A: What constitutes wildlife damage is ultimately a personal decision. I have friends who have swifts ...
moles in our yard9/13/2008
  Q: We noticed a mound of dirt in our yard about 8 inches high and we told we had moles and there must ...
  A: Tunnels are below ground. You have to dig to them. If the company you called doesn't know that then ...
Crawl Space Squirrel Infestation9/11/2008
  Q: I have squirrels in a crawl space, which is not accessible for the most part (8" to 4" between ...
  A: Controlling Gray Squirrels What not to do!! Donít bother with those silly ultrasonic devices. ...
Black poop with a white section on one end9/8/2008
  Q: I live in Santa Barbara, California and have had many animals in my back yard. I live in a ...
  A: The measurements you gave me was 1/2 inch. Did I read that right? That isn't that large. A rat puts ...
some animal is boring holes in my lawn9/6/2008
  Q: There is either a skunk or racoon that is boring holes in my newly placed sod. Someone told me to ...
  A: I don't believe mothballs are effective. But they continue to be recommended to people as a placebo. ...
Small Holes by Concrete9/2/2008
  Q: Stephen - I live in Atlanta GA, in a residential area but across the street from a large building. ...
  A: The divots could be skunk or squirrel. If they appeared at the end of the day, then squirrel. If in ...
identifying droppings8/24/2008
  Q: Finding fresh droppings on patio & in garage. Up to 3/4" long, 1/8" dia, torpedo shape. All have ...
  A: Unfortunately, we don't have enough information from your description. However, the white sac tells ...
beavers8/21/2008
  Q: Isn't there any way to discourage a beaver from an area. I'm thinking that something that emits a ...
  A: This answer will have more info than you want. But it should be helpful. Beaver Control Trapping ...
shrews in the home8/13/2008
  Q: I keep getting shrews in my house. I get at least one or two a week. I live in Minneapolis ...
  A: My first reaction is wow. If the creatures have been properly identified as shrews and not voles, or ...
rats chewing wire harness in car8/6/2008
  Q: I live in a Cleveland, Oh suburb. I recently discovered that a rat chewed my wire harness on my 07 ...
Woodchuck8/5/2008
  Q: ...are they dangerous at all? and how can we tell if its a he or she - Laura is mostly concerned if ...
  A: Unfortunately, answering this sort of question is not a black and white issue. risk is relative. ...
moles in the yard7/29/2008
  Q: My husband and I are battling moles digging up the back yard. It has been about 2 weeks now. We ...
Coatimundis?7/27/2008
  Q: I live in Mexico and I have a little problem with coatimundis living in my property. I donīt wanna ...
  A: I would need more information on what you mean by in your property. Do you mean within your property ...
Armadillo7/23/2008
  Q: Steve, I'm an expert on insect control, but I've got an Armadillo that's giving me fits. I live in ...
  A: I wouldn't waste your time with repellents. http://www.icwdm.org/ControlMethods/repellents.asp to ...
Armidillo Problems7/18/2008
  Q: Our flower beds are being destroyed by an armadillo. The tracks and tunnels it leaves confirm that. ...
  A: Armadillos Repellents and Exclusion There are not any federally registered repellents for ...
2-3 inch holes in yard, San Antonio, Texas7/16/2008
  Q: Just a couple days ago, we spotted two holes in our front lawn about 2-3 inches wide, and we're ...
  A: Unfortunately need more information. Are they true holes as in they disappear or are they merely ...
Rats getting in still, even though rat proofed7/9/2008
  Q: About 1 yr ago, I had an ex-house inspector who deals with wildlife problems inspect the crawlspace ...
  A: A couple of things need to be mentioned. First, an inspection done perfectly one year ago means ...
holes in front lawn7/7/2008
  Q: no dirt mounds, I have approx 3 small holes 2" in dia. I see no dirt mounds there either. I have ...
  A: Unfortunately, you haven't provided us with enough information. Do the holes "go anywhere"? or do ...
Specifics about a rabbit-fence...7/6/2008
  Q: I, too, have evergreen shrubs on the property I manage and they are dying because of our hungry ...
  A: Details on fencing and wildlife damage management can be found at http://icwdm.org I can assure you ...
Rabbits ruining my lawn7/4/2008
  Q: Rabbits are using portions of my lawn as a toilet and have killed areas of grass. Is there ...
  A: Unfortunately, the short answer is no. The only way you can properly protect your lawn is by ...
Raccoons6/30/2008
  Q: I just bought a live trap to capture raccoons that have been entering my home not only through the ...
  A: It seems I have to work harder on the page ranking of my website. :) The site to have visited was ...
armadillo catching6/25/2008
  Q: Armadillo(s) have taken up residence under my deck. They are beginning to destroy my lawn and ...
  A: We have lots of information on armadillo control. First, though, don't assume that relocation is ...
Snakes6/25/2008
  Q: We currently live in a house that is built on a fieldstone foundation. In the 2-1/2 years we have ...
  A: Absolutely, you have to find all the gaps in your house and secure them so they can't enter. ...
Bats6/25/2008
  Q: I have bats, or at least I have had, one at a time, three bats in my house over the past three ...
  A: When you say in my house, do you mean in the living space of your home or in the attic? First, read ...
Ground Squirrels6/22/2008
  Q: We live in Spokane Washington. I have numerous areas with ground squirrel burrows. I also have two ...
  A: The best treatment is what you think is the best for your situation. Don't waste your time with ...
burrowing chipmonks6/15/2008
  Q: I believe chipmonks have borrowed several tunnels through decorative stones and under my poured ...
  A: First, determine the laws in your state by contacting your state's division of wildlife. Second, ...
Rabbits are eating my landscape!6/8/2008
  Q: We have a new house in a new neighborhood. There are few houses around us. Rabbits are invading ...
  A: Our data on rabbit resistant shrubs is not as extensive as for deer. But you can check out our site ...
mole damage6/5/2008
  Q: I've got problems with moles in the yard. The tunnels are on steep hills and the water run off has ...
  A: I can't speak to the erosion problem. But if you want to stop the moles, I can help you with that. ...
Hole in yard6/3/2008
  Q: I have a hole in my yard which is roughly around 4" in diameter. I've attached some photos of the ...
  A: But without knowing where you live, or time of day the hole appeared, I can't narrow it down to a ...
Ground squirrels6/2/2008
  Q: Stephen, I heard from a pest control guy that told me if you wanted to get rid of your ground ...
  A: It is not true. There is no evidence to suggest otherwise. The gum technique has been claimed for ...
removing a bird5/26/2008
  Q: I have a bird in an inacceccable area behind the fascia board of our roof. How should I remove it ...
  A: Need more information, is the bird trapped there or just nesting there? When you say inaccessible, ...
chipmunks5/25/2008
  Q: I have noticed a much larger than usual number of chipmunks in my yard this spring. They are ...
  A: Lots. do you have a bird feeder on the property? If so, is it a modified one? If not, visit ...
pest digging through stone5/16/2008
  Q: My back deck is surrounded by stone but something is digging through the stone to go under my deck. ...
  A: One should never set traps unless you have a good idea of what it is you are trying to catch. ...
Rats in attic - La Mesa, California5/14/2008
  Q: We have rats that had an access in/out of our neighbors eaves, that abutt our dining room and ...
  A: We never recommend sealing a hole unless one is swear to God certain it is no longer being used. We ...
mouse infestation5/13/2008
  Q: you have danced around this subject, but i'd like to get a little more specific. we started a ...
  A: but I must take exception with the characterization that I have "danced" around the subject. If this ...
grey squirrels5/4/2008
  Q: I live in RI and have grey squirrels that got into a crevice(s) in the roof eaves. I hear them ...
  A: Information is a bit scattered below but you will get the idea. Read my tips on inspection and how ...
Birds4/28/2008
  Q: Problem with birds nesting in my hanging ferns around porch (have 10 of them) I do not want to harm ...
  A: Birds don't really smell so the pepper won't work. Unfortunately, your question doesn't provide ...
Landscaping4/19/2008
  Q: I work as a Leasing Specialist for two major garden style apartment complexes. We allow our ...
  A: First, do your clients feed birds? If they do they probably have not properly modified the feeders ...
Perplexing Lawn Peoblem4/17/2008
  Q: My front lawn is being ruined by something I can't get identified. I've attached several photos. In ...
  A: Unfortunately, you didn't take a picture with scale. I only saw one. But if the mounds are saucer ...
red Squirrels in house4/14/2008
  Q: I have an older home and have lived there for three years. This fall/winter/spring is the first time ...
  A: Not sure what you mean by the phrase "pinned down." I hope you didn't mean you closed their hole ...
Moles4/8/2008
  Q: We have moles in our yard that are digging tunnels through the lawn & flowers beds. I would ...
SQUIRRELS IN ATTIC4/7/2008
  Q: WHAT IS THE BEST THING TO USED TO TRAP A SQUIRREL
  A: No such thing as the best trap. It is like asking what is the best vehicle to drive. Best is ...
?Chipmunks4/1/2008
  Q: We noticed about 4 small holes around my mothers house recently. Started seeing small ?Chipmunks or ...
  A: I am a bit confused. Are you telling me that a company said spraying a chemical would PREVENT an ...
Squirrels3/27/2008
  Q: We have a lot of squirrels by our home which I don't mind. The problem is they chew the patio ...
  A: You didn't say if you fed birds. Bird feeding raises squirrel population densities. Learn how to ...
Geese in Swimming Pool3/16/2008
  Q: I live in South Florida, and for the past few days I have found geese swimming in my pool. Please ...
  A: THe easiest solution is to cover the pool. Chances are after a few days, of realizing the pool isn't ...
rodent problem3/12/2008
  Q: For the past few months i have seen a rodent maybe a mouse or a form of a mole i think scurry ...
  A: Unfortunately, you haven't provided enough details to properly diagnose the problem. First off, ...
squirrels in the attic3/3/2008
  Q: i live on staten island and need someone to come in and get rid of the squirrels in my attic and ...
  A: Finding a Professional Your problem is a common one. Letís begin with some terms. Pest Control ...
Rats in vents, ducts?2/27/2008
  Q: I recently had squirrel holes sealed in my gables - had the squirrels trapped and removed. During ...
  A: Repetitive and regular noises over extended periods of time, like hours, are typically a sign of a ...
mice control2/23/2008
  Q: The reason I am here is to have someone help me figure out what to do with my mouse problem. I live ...
  A: The hole you describe is large enough to allow rats. To mice it is like leaving the door open and ...
Squirrel chewing2/14/2008
  Q: I don't have squirrels in the house but one or two are chewing on the house, specifically the deck. ...
  A: Interesting idea but it would be hard to do so unless you have wood that matches the wood the ...
Skunk Smell2/14/2008
  Q: It's the dead of winter in Cincinnati Ohio. We moved in to a new home. About 2 weeks later waves of ...
  A: Skunks don't hibernate. Females will spray males they don't like. Yes, it is mating season for them ...
squirrels2/12/2008
  Q: i live in an older home and have just recently gotten squirrels running across the ceiling in my ...
  A: Traps can be purchased locally or through vendors listed on our site. Controlling Gray Squirrels ...
squirrels2/12/2008
  Q: Will stuffing a small hole with coarse steel wool be effective? Opening is oval 1 inch x 1/2 inch. ...
  A: My first question is effective for what? Are you looking to Prevent a squirrel from entering because ...
racoons ,possems etc2/10/2008
  Q: my whole back yard is turned over on the parameters, I've tried cages to no avail,what could have ...
  A: Identification is the first step to any successful control program. Visit ...
washing clothes2/4/2008
  Q: i am learning all i can about this line of work.i think that being a pest controller is fun and ...
  A: I don't handle pesticides much as it is illegal to use pesticides for most wildlife. However, my ...
rabbits chewing wires under car hood1/23/2008
  Q: I do not know what to use to keep rabbits out from under the hood of my car. I have had the wires ...
  A: the problem you describe is not an easy one to solve. Here is the solution with the best chance of ...
squirrels1/21/2008
  Q: I have been trapping and relocating squirrels for a decade using peanut butter as bait. Beginning ...
  A: It could be that you are trapping the same squirrels. Translocation is not legal in every state and ...
rabbits and other pests1/10/2008
  Q: Just a generalIs it legal in Massachusetts to shoot rabbits and other pests on your own property ...
  A: Normally, I don't answer legal questions because there are just too many states and too many laws. ...
squirrel removal from attic1/9/2008
  Q: We purchased a rental house in the city of Rochester, NY a few months ago. During the engineer's ...
  A: You came to the right place. Does he seem qualified? Tough call. From your comments, I would ...
Moles1/9/2008
  Q: Have moles ever ben known to tunnel through clay,and how deep do they tunnel? Thanks, Jim.
  A: I don't have a specific answer on that. I would suspect that the answer would depend on the ...
Opossum or Rabbits Under Porch1/4/2008
  Q: We have either rabbits or opossums under our porch. We heard that they won't hurt anything, but we ...
  A: Opossums and rabbits rarely dig to any great significance. I would be more concerned about the ...
Gopher problem12/10/2007
  Q: we have 1 acre plus and many gophers that eat most of our plant roots,even small tree roots. How do ...
  A: I assume by gophers you mean pocket gophers. Gophers mean different species depending on the part of ...
Rat feces12/9/2007
  Q: We recently bought an old boat from Florida and discovered that it's bilge is full of rat feces. (I ...
  A: Information on feces clean up can be found at http://icwdm.org search under animal threats then ...
Voles in my house12/1/2007
  Q: I live in NE Pennsylvania. My cats caught some baby voles, over the last six months, in my ...
  A: First, you would have to look closely to determine whether you are dealing with shrews or voles. The ...
Car engine damage from squirrels11/28/2007
  Q: This is more of a link to the question about rats damaging a car engine. About a week ago the ABS ...
  A: Would love photos. Here are some solutions. Protecting vehicles from Wildlife damage Protecting ...
squirrel in crawl space11/28/2007
  Q: how can I get rid of this squirrel he is destroying my house I closed the hole up and he ripped it ...
  A: Sorry about your problem. Unfortunately you haven't provided much information on what you have ...
Killing of animals11/24/2007
  Q: Some people I know are killing squirrels, gophers and wild hogs on their property...isn't there some ...
  A: You seem to be asking two different questions. One, is there a way to keep them from coming onto the ...
Small Woodpecker pecking holes into house siding11/19/2007
  Q: I live in CT and have a grey painted cedar shake house. There are a couple of small grey & white ...
  A: Don't Give Up Hope: In one study the birds stopped drumming 50 percent of the time within two weeks ...
Bat in crawl space11/18/2007
  Q: Will leaving the lights on with an opening chase the bat out of my crawl space?
  A: Need more information. Where are you located, as in what state? How long have you noticed the bat? ...
Holes in lawn11/14/2007
  Q: I have what appears to be very similar to a ground squirrel/chipmunk hole in my lawn. I have only ...
  A: The first task is identification. The hole sounds like chipmunk or 13 lined ground squirrel. Given ...
Rats having a feast on my car engine11/12/2007
  Q: I don't seem to understand why car is the chosen one for rat engine festival. Rats have been leaving ...
  A: Not knowing where you live it is tough to be more specific. I suspect you are dealing with pack ...
tip tap and pitter/patter noises from the attic and other walls11/4/2007
  Q: I started having this strange issue and looked up internet and ended up writig to you. First of all ...
  A: You have already answered a few questions in this list. Now you must take the inspection course. ...
birds10/26/2007
  Q: we have birds eating our insulation in our barn the insulation is the thin yellow stuff they peck ...
  A: Sorry that isn't enough information for an identification. My guess, if you live in a rural area, ...
Rat proof the car10/23/2007
  Q: A rat made a nest in my car and ate through the engine harness, and wires - it's a very costly ...
  A: As for the repellents, the short answer is No. Save your money. If you can't place the vehicle in a ...
Droppings10/13/2007
  Q: I thought I found droppings in my finished attic space. They are brown, small and oval shaped. The ...
  A: Not enough information. How thick, how wide? Gooey texture just means it was fresh. Visit ...
Raccoons10/9/2007
  Q: I have what appears to be a mother raccoon and 3-4 babies living under my deck. It is a large deck ...
  A: I hope translocation of wildlife was legal in your state. Yes, it is likely they will leave on ...
Lawn damage10/7/2007
  Q: Over the last few days, I have been waking up to find my front lawn shredded in multiple areas ...
  A: I would agree that killing the grubs would work if you killed them prior to the initiation of the ...
holes in my backyard9/30/2007
  Q: About a year ago I noticed at least 2 deep holes in our yard, this summer there are over 15! It is ...
  A: Sounds like a ground squirrel like a chipmunk or 13 lined ground squirrel. First step is to ask ...
grubs and moles9/27/2007
  Q: we have several areas in our yard that have moles in it, what is the best way to rid of them and is ...
  A: First, moles eat more than grubs. It is very possible to have a grub free lawn and still have moles. ...
scratching in upper kitchen wall9/27/2007
  Q: I noticed a scratching sound in the upper cabinet of my kitchen yesterday morning, above the ...
  A: You have a tough situation. First, Nolen is correct. It may not even be a mouse. But it might be. ...
Woodpeckers vs window reflection9/21/2007
  Q: After having a restore done on our log home, the woodpecker has returned to the T-11 gable area. I ...
  A: Yes, mylar may be tacky but it is cheap. Buy the window because you want the window not for its ...
I fell through my yard9/21/2007
  Q: Yesterday i was mowing my lawn, and my foot went right through my yard, and i fell in a hole up to ...
  A: It isn't moles. Without more information can't say what it is or isn't. You didn't mention if you ...
Squirrels in roof of house9/20/2007
  Q: I have a problem with squirrels in my roof. They are in the space between the rooftop and the ...
  A: Not knowing what species of squirrels you are referring to it is difficult to say why you haven't ...
raccoons in crawlspace9/17/2007
  Q: Back in July 2006, you had someone ask about replacing the damaged insulation in a crawlspace after ...
  A: Two questions, how qualified was the person removing the latrine? The risk is their contaminating ...
squirrels9/12/2007
  Q: my lawn at the back of the house is torn up, like something went in a circle around my maple tree ...
  A: Unfortunately, your description of the holes doesn't provide enough information. I would suspect ...
Destruction in our backyard9/12/2007
  Q: The past two nights an animal (or herd of elephants) has dug up our yard. We live outside Chicago. ...
  A: You have raccoons. The solution is to a. reduce the food source. NO food no problem. The problem ...
new lawn damage - pls help!9/8/2007
  Q: We have recently laid a new lawn and have watered it daily for the last 6 weeks - it was looking ...
  A: Mr. Raccoon has found your grass and is removing the worms and grubs. The damage will stop when the ...
moles in basement9/6/2007
  Q: I have a young cat and she brought in a live mole . . . maybe 3? We thought we'd gotten rid of the ...
  A: Unfortunately, free range cats can really ravage the environment. I would strongly recommend that ...
squirrels eating our holly berries9/4/2007
  Q: Can I put some type of flexible mesh screening or netting over mine. I caught a squirrel "red ...
  A: By flexible mesh, I trust you mean 1/4" hardware cloth. Yes this can work but you will need to ...
Holly bush "pruner"8/30/2007
  Q: We live in Rochester, NY and have four holly bushes next to our front walk--- one male, and three ...
  A: It is certainly possible that the woodchuck is responsible. They have been implicated in eating ...
feces8/29/2007
  Q: i live coral springs florida (south florida), i have a newly poured concrete porch in frint of my ...
  A: I would lean more towards lizard than frog. Your question is a little unclear but I am assuming you ...
Big bats8/14/2007
  Q: This is gonna sound weird, specially because I live in LA where there arenīt supossed to be large ...
  A: Sounds like a fruit bat. They can be quite large. Do you have any high resolution photos? ...
mice and bats8/13/2007
  Q: My wide and I have a country house in West Virginia. There is plenty of wildlife outside our home ...
  A: You need to become more successful in exclusion, and control. You have to decide right now how ...
Do I have bats?8/13/2007
  Q: My husband and I recently returned from an evening out to find a bat flying around our kitchen. We ...
  A: I trust there was no possibility for someone to have been exposed to the bat. Details on what ...
Identifying pest in my apartment8/7/2007
  Q: I went away for 3 weeks and came back to find some strange feces all over the floor and window pain ...
  A: Unfortunately, more details are needed to determine the species involved. Visit ...
hi8/7/2007
  Q: i was sittin in bed and something big and grey and fast ran across it think it was a rat could it ...
  A: Identifying the animal. First step is to ID the animal. Rats typically are more brown to black ...
Tree frogs8/2/2007
  Q: I am having problems with tree frogs getting into my house in the bathroom. We covered the stink ...
Pest under porch7/31/2007
  Q: We moved into our house in Ohio a few months ago. As we started tending to the front yard, we ...
  A: Sounds like a woodchuck under your porch. Very common. July is dispersal month, so I suspect that it ...
Moles in lawn7/27/2007
  Q: Please help me rid these critters from my lawn.I have heard of grub x and caster oil what is best? ...
  A: I only deal with wildlife damage problems. I would direct you to someone else regarding dealing with ...
mice7/19/2007
  Q: I just discovered droppings in our kitchen and a evidence of chewing of and envelope in one of the ...
  A: The best way to get rid of mice depends on your desires and the situation. Lots of info below to ...
Raccoons7/19/2007
  Q: We have raccoons in our yard. I have recently discovered that raccoons carry roundworm. I have ...
  A: Read the information we have on raccoon round worm contained in the link in our raccoon control ...
Mouse problem7/18/2007
  Q: I have seen and heard a mouse (or mice) in my flat and I occassionally see some droppings mainly in ...
  A: You asked a lot of questions. As for your ultrasonic repellent, hopefully you can take it back. ...
Lawn problem7/18/2007
  Q: in my lawn i continually see dirt spots 2-3 inches wide. they are all over the west side of my home, ...
  A: I would love to help you. Unfortunately, I need more description. I think it would helpful if you ...
grey digger squirrels7/14/2007
  Q: We live in a rural area near Mt. Hood in Oregon. We are inundated with gray digger squirrels who ...
  A: I am a little at a loss as to what animal you are speaking of. I am not sure if you are referring to ...
Baby rabbit brought into house by our cat7/11/2007
  Q: We have a baby rabbit that is hiding in the cabinet space behind and/or around our stove. It was ...
  A: I would simply place a trap in front of the opening and use a broom to push the bunny toward the ...
dead mouse7/9/2007
  Q: I have a horribe situation. My cat got one of our pet mice out of its cage . The mose escaped death ...
  A: You could call someone but they will have to go through the same process as you will to find it. If ...
potential mole damage to new dech,paver patio, and above ground pool application7/8/2007
  Q: Help! My wife and I are about to spend a large chunk of money on a paver patio, new composite ...
  A: It is possible to for them to damage the pool. The question is given the construction perameters how ...
Rat birth control7/5/2007
  Q: I read your recent posting about rat control and odor problems with interest. Your mention of "Rat ...
  A: I am not familiar with that product you mention. I do understand that it would be an interesting ...
Rat Control and Odor7/3/2007
  Q: We live in an old home in an area with many trees and a hillside with ivy - all that I understand ...
  A: My first question would be make sure your problem is actually rats, rather than something else. ...
voles (maybe?!)7/2/2007
  Q: Their tunnels run up and down, back and forth through the full length of raised beds in my garden ...
  A: You could very well have both. Moles aren't interested in your plants. Voles will use mole tunnels ...
Moles in my beautiful lawn7/2/2007
  Q: Well, I have/had a beautiful tall fescue lawn here in Saint Louis, MO until the mole(s) arrived. I ...
  A: The reason why your trap didn't work is the following. 1. it wasn't set in the right tunnel, 2. the ...
rat problems7/1/2007
  Q: I have a huge rat problem in my roof. I decided to buy rat poison {pellets}. My husband wont let me ...
  A: Read my information below on toxicants, and rat control. Before initiating control you have to find ...
deer problems6/27/2007
  Q: i live in little egg arbor, nj 08087 and my daughter lives in montville, nj 07045. we both have ...
  A: Yea, I could have saved her the effort on the four foot fence. Great to keep out woodchucks, but it ...
cats6/21/2007
  Q: Where I live, suburban Kansas City. The biggest wildlife problem I have is cats. I have 4 dogs ...
  A: I get various requests for methods to keep cats out of gardens, property etc. I am always looking ...
Rats!6/20/2007
  Q: My residence in Beverly Hills, California has had common rats (roof rats, I believe) for a year now. ...
Ground moles and Carpenter Bees.6/18/2007
  Q: I have ground moles all over the place. I have put down some grub control to see if that works. Is ...
  A: I can't help you carpenter bees. My expertise is wildlife. Getting rid of moles Before anything ...
Attraction6/17/2007
  Q: What types of food are rats and mice most attracted to that one needs to keep under wraps or else ...
  A: Rats will eat almost anything. Mice, prefer grains. It is easier to just make sure that all food ...
pack rats6/12/2007
  Q: I have wood rats around my dog pen how do i control them im scared there going to get around my ...
  A: Rats--Wood There are no simple magic solutions for rat control. Controlling rats requires the ...
Unidentified noise behind wall6/10/2007
  Q: We live in a highly wooded area and recently we have noticed what we are assuming is a ...
  A: Identifying the damage. You have already answered a few of these questions. But you will need to ...
green tree frog!!6/7/2007
  Q: I'll bet that this is the first time that you have ever encountered THIS problem/question!! ...
  A: You are correct this is a first. I would suggest, closing your bedroom door. Sealing the gap by the ...
moles in crawl space6/7/2007
  Q: I just discovered that our 41 year old house near Seattle has a very large number of mole tunnels ...
  A: My biggest concern here is whether the problem is actually moles and not some other burrowing ...
Something driving us nuts in the attic!6/6/2007
  Q: We have something in the ceiling of one of our bedrooms and its driving us crazy. We started to ...
  A: Identifying the damage. Inspections properly begin on the outside of your home. From what I gather, ...
rats in crawl space6/6/2007
  Q: I read your answer to the posting on 7/5/2006 about rats in a crawlspace that got into ducts and ...
  A: Have the pest controllers show you pictures of the damage. You want to have a clear view of the ...
Moles on new lawn6/5/2007
  Q: I'm looking for advice regarding Moles. We replaced our lawn four days ago and had seed put in. We ...
chipmunks5/31/2007
  Q: Chipmunks have moved into our pool shed. They've messed up a few planters and I haven't dared check ...
raccoon5/30/2007
  Q: I have a raccoon living in a lg tree in our front yard. We don't want him there. If I cover the ...
  A: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER seal a hole unless you are swear to God certain it is no longer be used. Good ...
animal destroying patio cushions!5/29/2007
  Q: We live in the Boise suburbs, and some animal is chewing and destroying our cloth patio cushions ...
  A: This is the second question I got on this subject within a couple of weeks. It is certainly sounding ...
Woodchucks5/28/2007
  Q: Last year woodchucks dug underneath my garden shed and spent the winter there. I trapped several ...
  A: To cover all the bases, I am giving you the complete answer. Woodchuck under deck or building In ...
Red squirrels under our deck5/26/2007
  Q: We recently built a sunroom, using the framing for what used to be our deck, with a decorative ...
  A: Controlling Squirrels What not to do!! Donít bother with those silly ultrasonic devices. There is ...
Moles5/20/2007
  Q: I have a horrible problem with moles in the yard. Is there any way to get rid of them?
  A: Mole control is really easy with proper training. I like traps as they are toxicant free and you get ...
woodchuck5/15/2007
  Q: I have a woodchuck digging under my trlr....help..need advice on how to get rid of it
  A: Not sure what trir is but you can visit http://icwdm.org for details on removing the woodchuck. On ...
Mice in outdoor BBQ5/9/2007
  Q: I learned a great deal from reading your advice to others in the Pest Control column - thanks! I ...
  A: The short answer is no. You are correct in realizing that you live next to a large mouse reservoir ...
squirrels5/8/2007
  Q: How can I keep the squirrels in my yard from eating the gas lines on my cars? I feed the squirrels ...
  A: I want to warn you that you are not going to like the solution to your problem. Your problem has ...
Bats in my soffit?5/6/2007
  Q: For about a week now, I have been awakened at around 4 a.m. to the sound of something scratching in ...
  A: NO. NO. NO. NEVER seal a hole unless you are swear to God certain the hole is no longer actively ...
birds and moles4/27/2007
  Q: I have two questions for you. 1. I would like to know what brand/type of mole trap you recommend. I ...
  A: All the mole traps work. The problem is people usually don't know how to use them; they blame the ...
Pest4/24/2007
  Q: I have the following questions. I have to take my interview in the Pest Management Department so, ...
  A: You will need to prepare for your pesticide exam. I suggest you read the literature they sent to ...
squirrels4/8/2007
  Q: I am having problems with squirrels chewing into my attic. I live in a condo, and the maintenance ...
  A: I have included my full answer below on control of squirrels. I guess I would have to say that ...
Birds on the porch4/8/2007
  Q: I'm having a problem with birds roosteing on my porch lights. I don't know when they come,and go,but ...
  A: Bird Exclusion You have essentially two options. Box screen the lights to prevent roosting. If ...
Squirrel droppings4/5/2007
  Q: I live in the Georgian Bay area and we have very cold winters. A few years ago I had squirrels in ...
  A: Attic fecal cleanouts is a speciality service that needs to be done by qualified professionals. ...
Odor4/3/2007
  Q: I work in a office trailer, we have had a very bad odor going on the 5th week, we have had a critter ...
  A: Did you have any mouse control performed? Dead mice can smell a lot. How qualified was the critter ...
RACCOON4/2/2007
  Q: I have had raccoons get into my attic off and on for the last 4 years. I trapped one a couple years ...
  A: My first question is how are you sure there are no other raccoons still inside, like young? If there ...
just when you thought it was over4/2/2007
  Q: We live in the Washington DC area in a single family home in the suburbs. A couple of months ago we ...
  A: Odors are tough. http://icwdm.org has info on controlling skunk odor which will have many ...
unidentified bad smell3/24/2007
  Q: I just read another persons question that is identical to mine...the unidentified smell of cat urine ...
  A: It wasn't me that thought it was a mushroom. It was the other person or someone else. I would have ...
Unwanted Squirrel3/6/2007
  Q: Everytime it gets cold, we have a squirrel that gets into our attic (not sure how). We were able to ...
Tracing a smell1/21/2007
  Q: Are you aware of any method to pinpoint a smell other than using a cat to track a delicious, rotting ...
  A: I am not sure I would recommend a cat. Dogs have better olfactory abilities than cats and are ...
moles1/20/2007
  Q: Walking on the lawn of my recently (10/28/06) purchased home is like walking on a sponge. I have ...
  A: Removing food sources is one technique to control allwildlife damage. Here is theproblem with doing ...
help! rodent in wall1/20/2007
  Q: Help! I donít know what I have in my wall, but it is about to drive me nuts. I have set snap ...
  A: The first problem is that you have to have a quality inspection performed. With two exterminators ...
drawers with dog food1/14/2007
  Q: We see no droppings, just dog food in drawers, my boot , under sink in the SOS pads, under sink in ...
  A: Yes, it could be chipmunk. But it could also be from a rat, pack rat, and other species of mice. I ...
crawfish mounds1/9/2007
  Q: The yard of the new home we have moved in has crawfish mounds so bad, I have never seen anything ...
  A: First, I would love to get some images of this damage for our damage image database. High resolution ...
Holes in our yard1/8/2007
  Q: We have a pool, around the concrete deck and lawn are holes that are approx. 2-3" apart and maybe ...
  A: Do they go anywhere like into an underground tunnel system? Without more information it would be a ...
Squirels in attic1/1/2007
  Q: Dan
  A: You have a variety of options. 1. You can hire a professional. 2. Depending on the laws in your ...
squirrels in attic12/31/2006
  Q: can any sort of fumigation be used to kill a trapped squirrel in our attic? How whould we get it ...
  A: My first question is why is the squirrel trapped in your attic? He shouldn't be unless someone made ...
Racoon12/27/2006
  Q: This morning about 5 am I heard something walking around on the roof. I turned on the front and back ...
  A: First, you can relax. The raccoon is not trapped on your roof. If he got up there and nothing has ...
Gophers and Moles12/8/2006
  Q: My family just moved into a house with a little less than 1.5 acres of land. We just saw ...
  A: By grooves do you mean the grass is raised in a line so that when you walk on it, it collapses? Then ...
nice11/13/2006
  Q: I had an inspector come in and inspect my house. he said that in the attic there were mice but not ...
  A: I would disagree with anyone who says it is okay that mice are "just" in the attic. Over time, ...
mole/vole damage to lawn11/12/2006
  Q: Stephen, Thanks for offering to help! We have had moles/voles for the last 5 years - most likely ...
  A: You need to be clear on which animal you are controlling as techniques differ for voles and moles. ...
mice11/11/2006
  Q: We have mice in the ceiling of our first floor and the attic of our second floor. I am a little ...
  A: Glad you asked first before wasting your money and time on repellents for mice. Repellents for mice ...
skunk problem :-[11/10/2006
  Q: i live in lake havasu city,az. i have a problem with a skunk that has takin up homage in my yard & ...
  A: The first thing you must do is to eliminate the skunk's access to the trash. Place them in a secure ...
mice11/10/2006
  Q: I work in a day care and today we started to smell a dead mouse that appears to be trapped in the ...
  A: I doubt the odor would be a health risk. But remember illness is relative. A bad odor in some people ...
moles11/3/2006
  Q: How can I get moles out of my yard? I've used MoleX and castor oil and have heard of using crushed ...
  A: Sure do. Traps, when the user is properly trained, are highly effective on moles. You can learn how ...
Lawn Damage10/14/2006
  Q: I live in California's central valley (Manteca) and had a new back lawn installed around 3 months ...
  A: Sounds like a mole. Photos would help. svantassel2@unl.edu You can also visit http://icwdm.org ...
Alterative bait10/11/2006
  Q: What is an alterative bait for mouses and rats other than peanut butter.
  A: For mice, try caramel, string, cotton, and blind sets. Blind sets are unbaited traps set where mice ...
Mouse Bait10/10/2006
  Q: What is another alternative for mouse bait other then peanut butter.
  A: Caramel, string, cotton, or if you buy expanded trigger traps and set them properly against walls ...
voles maybe moles10/9/2006
  Q: stephen, i live in north mississippi and am having a problem with voles or maybe moles ...
  A: Your first step is to save your water. I would love to diagnose your problem but you haven't given ...
Grubbing Skunks10/6/2006
  Q: Stephen I have skunks tearing up my lawn. I know they are skunks because I stayed up late enough ...
  A: Visit http://icwdm.org click on solutions and the handbook. There will be information on trapping ...
Holes in the lawn10/3/2006
  Q: some type of animal (I was told were voles) are making holes in my lawn. I do not see tunnelling, ...
  A: Sounds to me like skunks grubbing. It can also be raccoon. I have no idea what the exterminator was ...
can mice climb a concrete wall?10/3/2006
  Q: We recently had a mouse in the basement of our new house (only 14 months old). We captured him in a ...
  A: Yes, a mouse can climb concrete including wires. It isn't uncommmon at all for new homes to have ...
rodent damage to cars or trucks9/27/2006
  Q: Recently I had serious problems caused by some form of rodents to my truck engine that was parked in ...
  A: Move vehicle to secure garage. (Got any photos of the damage? send them to svantassel2@unl.edu) ...
Dead mouse in the wall?9/27/2006
  Q: Recently, we have been smelling a bad odor in our library. After removing everything, the odor is ...
  A: Turn up the heat in your house and open the windows. The heat will help dry out the carcass, if that ...
Squirrel in garage9/26/2006
  Q: I was out to my detached garage tonite after dark,and heard a scampering noise overhead.I soon ...
  A: Controlling Squirrels What not to do! Donít bother with those silly ultrasonic devices. There is ...
odor of dead /decay squirrel9/22/2006
  Q: Had a dead squirrl in my chimney which was finally removed. The guys who reomved it said they dont ...
  A: Whether they should have or not depends on their insurance, training and licensing. Did you hire a ...
Squirrels & Racoon in attic space9/22/2006
  Q: I believe I have now sealed all the openings where pests have been enterring my attic, but I have ...
  A: Huge mistake. NEVER secure an opening unless you are swear to god certain it is no longer be used. ...
Noises in the wall9/22/2006
  Q: We are hearing a howling noise in the wall between our condo and the neighboring condo. At first we ...
  A: Sounds to me like a plumbing problem. Is the reason you hear it in the morning and at night because ...
Ground Squirrels In House9/21/2006
  Q: How do I get ground squirrels out of my house??? I made the mistake of having a squirrel feeder in ...
  A: Your first problem is you have not used enough traps. Think of using a couple of dozen. Second, vary ...
house flies9/20/2006
  Q: I think something died in the attic, because all of a sudden there are a ton of flies getting into ...
  A: Why would you want to put toxicants in your house if there was another way to control the problem? ...
Noise in bedroom wall9/18/2006
  Q: Mr Vantassel, I have paid four companies to get rid of the noise in my bedroom wall they all ...
  A: We recommend that people hire qualified animal damage controllers when it comes to these sorts of ...
Noise in attic or wall9/18/2006
  Q: Often at my Mother's house, which is in the country in south Alabama, we hear loud noises that are ...
  A: Sounds like a raccoon. But before jumping to conclusions I would suggest you get some training on ...
Moles9/17/2006
  Q: Yesterday when I cut the lawn there were several areas where the ground felt like it was sinking ...
killing moles9/16/2006
  Q: I live in Washington State. I have tried traps with little success. I tried using crystal draino in ...
  A: It became illegal to trap moles in Washington state about 5 years ago after its citizens foolishly ...
is it a racoon?9/12/2006
  Q: For the past 2 night at exactly 4:30 AM I hear a Clatter of footsteps in my attic loud noises were i ...
  A: Your first task is to determine what is causing the noise. Visit ...
Mouse9/10/2006
  Q: Stephen. It's not a dire situation, however it is frustrating none the less. I have a small ...
  A: Are you certain it is a mouse? Young rats can look like mice. Rats are neophobic it can take up to ...
Unidentified odor9/8/2006
  Q: We have a vacation rental property that off and on has an odor like cat urine in one room and one ...
  A: Not sure what the quarterly spraying by an exterminator is supposed to do. If he is spraying the ...
Poisoning mice but not my dog and cat9/3/2006
  Q: I was wondering if my dog or cat eat a mouse that has eatten D-Con can they get poisoned too? If ...
  A: Yes it is a possibility. The issue of course, is how much toxicant the mouse took and how large your ...
heating ducts/rodents?9/1/2006
  Q: We have been having shredded insulation coming up at two or three of our heating/cooling ducts. ...
  A: I wish you told me how long you have been finding this. Shredded insulation is a sign of a squirrel ...
droppings9/1/2006
  Q: I was just wondering what animal leaves red droppings behind, redish maron colour, just been into my ...
  A: Color of droppings is useless in determining what left it as color is often determined by what the ...
re: roof rat infestation8/30/2006
  Q: This question is not so much how to get rid of the rats, but instead how to cleanup their mess. My ...
  A: Did I understand correctly that your house was fumigated for rats? Did you mistake toxicants to mean ...
bats8/30/2006
  Q: We have a log home and have bats that roost under our porch roof. We have had two experiences with ...
  A: I trust you are certain that there were no exposures to the bats that enter your house. Info on bat ...
mice in my house8/29/2006
  Q: I live in an apartment style condo on the second floor of three. I was watching t.v. one night and ...
  A: Mice Exclusion: Tighten the building. As long as openings arenít being used by insects or ...
Gophers/Voles/Moles??8/27/2006
  Q: Re:Gophers/Voles/Moles?? I believe I have any or all three critters invading my yard. I have read ...
  A: I can simplify your quest a little here. Voles don't make mounds. So now the question is do you have ...
mice/insects8/25/2006
  Q: We bought a house by a small lake about three months ago. Before we moved in, we had the entire ...
  A: Mice only need a 1/4" gap. Insects less than that. Good inspections are tedious but well worth the ...
Unidentified Bad smell8/23/2006
  Q: I'm sure you have encountered this situation at some time or another. There is a dead animal smell ...
  A: Finding the source of an odor can be very difficult. But there are a few strategies. First, close ...
Chipmunks8/15/2006
  Q: We have a lot of chipmunks in our neighborhood. I do not have a problem with them being in the ...
  A: Without more details, I would guess the problem may be bats and not chipmunks at all. Visit ...
Bats8/11/2006
  Q: Will hanging a bright light in my attic prevent bats from returning while I plug holes with the wire ...
  A: NO. I would strongly encourage you NOT to do any sealing of holes unless you 1. learn where they ...
Lawn Damage7/29/2006
  Q: Over the past 3-4 weeks I have noticed small patches (3-6 in.) of dirt where lawn used to be. There ...
  A: If an animal was grubbing, then the turf/soil would be damaged as they would leave small divots in ...
bats7/28/2006
  Q: There was a bat in our bedroom the other night. It flew out when we turned the light on and now we ...
  A: I am glad you notified me. You need to view the rabies information located at ...
holes in yard7/26/2006
  Q: Only 2 areas in yard where digging occurs. Holes are from 3 to 4 inches in diameter. Within the ...
  A: Unfortunately, I need more details. What state are you in? What kind of habitat do you have? I am ...
chewing noise in attic7/25/2006
  Q: our lake home in northern WI has the problem . One exterior wall of one bedroom of the house, has ...
  A: Yes, your problem could be carpenter ants, squirrels, mice, etc. The only way to know for sure is to ...
Birds in Soffit/Hood7/19/2006
  Q: We moved into a new place in early June and noticed that there were birds flapping and chirping ...
  A: The first thing is to determine what species of bird it is. Just watch the location for a 5-10 ...
Chipmunk Feces?7/18/2006
  Q: We keep finding feces in our garage - doesn't quite look like mouse or rat droppings - can you ...
  A: Tips on identifying feces can be found at http://icwdm.org/Inspection/droppingfeces.asp As for the ...
Getting rid of Mice w/Dogs around7/17/2006
  Q: We have had a mouse in our townhouse in Ohio that we think the cat brought in. It is definitely ...
  A: Not familiar with the d-con traps. But traps can be placed inside objects that the dog can't get to, ...
critter in attic7/16/2006
  Q: We built a new home and have had a homesteader in the attice since day one and it has now been 8 ...
  A: Chances are your builder is wrong. Mice only need 3/8" of an inch. I seriously doubt your builder is ...
Big Hole undershed & mound of dirt7/16/2006
  Q: Last night something dug a huge hole at the side of our shed. Looks like once in there is kicked up ...
  A: Sounds like a woodchuck. It isn't building a wall. It just needed to put the dirt somewhere. Visit ...
Killing moles7/16/2006
  Q: Is there anything that suggests that planting poisoned worms in the mole tunnels is effective at ...
  A: Are you referring to Talpirid, a product by Bell Labs sold as a pesticide to kill moles? Or are you ...
Holes in my yard7/13/2006
  Q: I have a hole about 2-3 inches in diameter in my front yard next to my porch tunneling towards the ...
  A: Need more information. Where do you live? as in what state? Do you see chipmunks running around or ...
pestcontrol7/12/2006
  Q: what is the best bate for mouse traps
  A: Location and quantity of traps are more important than bait. Most homeowners use too few traps. ...
PEST CONTROL CONTRACT7/11/2006
  Q: I signed up for a pest control service on June 1st which is a Thursday. The contract I signed ...
  A: I would suggest contacting your state's Secretary office, particularly the division for consumer ...
hole near dogwood tree7/10/2006
  Q: I live in eastern North Carolina and just noticed a clean hole about 6 inches from a dogwood tree in ...
  A: You didn't mention if the hole went anyway or whether it was just a depression. One thing you can ...
yard holes7/7/2006
  Q: I have holes in my yard, ranging from dime size to maybe 3 inches around. They are smooth holes ...
  A: I would love some photos of this damage. High resolution is preferred as well as having an object in ...
rabbits killing new lawn?7/6/2006
  Q: we recently reseeded our yard and have ALOT of rabbits that are feasting on the new grass ...
  A: I wouldn't rule it out. Urine being acidic can harm grass. I doubt droppings will have the same ...
Rats, contamination in crawl space7/5/2006
  Q: We had rat infestation in our crawl space this last winter, but at this point we have eliminated ...
  A: Tough question to answer. First, yes rats will be attracted to the odor. But if you have adequately ...
banging in wall6/27/2006
  Q: My brother and I live in a 50 year-old house. Last night, we heard scary banging coming from inside ...
  A: You will need to perform an inspection. Rather than going into all the details of inspection ...
pest problem6/20/2006
  Q: Can you give me any suggestions on how to get rid of bats in our house? We've lived in an old ...
  A: First, every house can be batproofed. The issue is the will, the time and the money to do it. From ...
Burrow under our enclosed patio?6/20/2006
  Q: I just noticed a hole that has been dug under our enclosed patio a few days ago. We have lattice ...
  A: The hole under your deck may or may not be related to the chew damage on the shed. Off the cuff, I ...
Holes throughout my yard6/18/2006
  Q: I live next to a open field. Our yard has become a mine of small (1-2 inches in diameter) holes. ...
  A: Unfortunately, you don't say if the holes "go anywhere" or whether they are just small divots in the ...
voles6/16/2006
  Q: I have vole(s)in my back yard. I want to get rid of them in any way possible however I have three ...
  A: There is always a risk with any control technique. If you want to eliminate toxicant risk employ ...
We have holes in our yard and don't know why6/15/2006
  Q: We have several areas with small holes in our yard. There are 3 holes in a straight line connected ...
  A: It could be a couple of different animals. You could have a mole or a vole. Without more details it ...
Mice6/9/2006
  Q: We are at our wits end with a smell in our powder room. Here is some history. We have had this ...
  A: The mouse shouldn't smell after a month but that also depends on a variety of factors including ...
Pack Rats in Whitefish Montana6/6/2006
  Q: How do we know if we have pack rats? There's a periodic smell of skunk in our lower level near the ...
  A: What makes you think of packrats versus opossum or skunk? Opossums have a skunk like musk. Do you ...
small holes all over the lawn6/5/2006
  Q: I noticed these holes look like a goffer hole as they have a dirt cover! but the hole is small like ...
  A: I would need more specifics in order to determine what is causing the damage. ...
Yard Mounds5/26/2006
  Q: Just moved into my first home. This morning I walked out and found four mounds in my front yard. I ...
  A: It is critical to determine if it is a pocket gopher or a mole, for the methods to control them are ...
mice or rats?5/23/2006
  Q: Do mice or rats store food? I found dog food in my kitchen drawers, between my couch cushion and in ...
  A: You didn't mention what part of the country you are in but yes, mice and rats (pack rats) store ...
moles5/22/2006
  Q: How do we get rid of the moles in our yard. We have several mole hills.
  A: You have a few options. Visit http://icwdm.org/handbook/mammals/Moles.asp to learn about most of ...
Damage grass and pond adge5/22/2006
  Q: My grass has been fliped up side down by animal and pond adge has be digged holes along it. What ...
  A: I would need more info. But I would suspect it is a raccoon. You can visit ...
Pesty Field Mice5/11/2006
  Q: My pest has been identified as field mice. I have a large open field in back of my home. I've ...
  A: It sounds to me like you need to have a thorough inspection of your home. Mice need 3/8" gap to ...
Rabbits are eating my grass!5/8/2006
  Q: We live on 2 acres and we're having problems with rabbits (cotton tails) eating our buffalo grass as ...
  A: Wow. Rabbits certainly eat grass but this is the first I have heard their damage was this severe. ...
moles5/8/2006
  Q: I have moles under my deck, they dug holes under the deck, to my flower beds, they have eaten half ...
  A: Sorry, but you don't have moles. You have voles. Moles have no interest in plants. They are ...
Raccoon under porch, holes in yard.5/4/2006
  Q: On the side of my concrete porch I have discovered a hole which does not appear to have been made ...
  A: I am going to need more information on the holes in the yard. You can visit ...
Mouse Control5/4/2006
  Q: I lived for 3 years in a very old apartment building and for the first time we have Mice. We have ...
  A: I have provided information on mouse control below but let me give some specific responses to your ...
Stinky Dead Rat5/3/2006
  Q: There is a stench coming from my attic. I believe it is a dead rat. I cannot locate the carcass ...
  A: Was the rat poisoned? Strategies to respond and even to prevent these odors. See if you can find ...
Holes in my backyard4/23/2006
  Q: I have no idea what they are, but they're everywhere and especially around the pool. What is doing ...
  A: Will absolutely need pictures, preferably with scale (ie. something in the photo that shows me how ...
Stopping Moles4/19/2006
  Q: What is the best and simplest way to get rid of moles besides killing them. Thanks in advance.
  A: The short answer to your question is there isn't anything that will certainly get rid of moles ...
pack rat ..4/15/2006
  Q: I do not use my vehicle everyday so I thought I'd aske you the following - maybe you will have an ...
  A: Keeping the hood partially up in an interesting plan but my concern would be whether or not other ...
How do I get rid of moles...4/10/2006
  Q: How do I get rid of moles out of my yard?
Cats in Beauty Bark4/7/2006
  Q: I have just laid new beauty bark and i can't keep the neighbor cats out of it what do i do
  A: You have come upon one of the biggest environmental issues in the U.S. Unfortunately, your options ...
Dead Squirrel and Fly Problem4/6/2006
  Q: I have dead squirrels in the ceiling of my house. It is totally sealed off with no way to access ...
  A: I guess my first question would be how do you know that you have dead squirrels in the ceiling of ...
oder elimination from pests3/31/2006
  Q: Can anything eliminate racoon urine and solid waste oders? Coons may have lived in vacant house ...
  A: I tried answering this question yesterday but I couldn't get the site to take my click. My first ...
mole damage to lawns2/26/2006
  Q: is there a permanent solution to moles in the yard?and what ways do I get rid of these pests?I have ...
  A: Yes, there is a permanent solution to moles in your yard, but I can assure you that you won't like ...
Mole removal2/1/2006
  Q: We live in Illinois. There is no frost in the ground now. My mom has had problems for a couple of ...
  A: You are wise to think twice about those so called mole repellers. There is no scientific evidence ...
RABBITS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1/28/2006
  Q: Pesty wild rabbits are eating my rosia ice plant ground cover, what's some of the ways to get rid of ...
  A: The best way to stop rabbit damage is to construct a fence. I am assuming you are referring to ...
Opossum Under the house1/13/2006
  Q: I have an oppossum (or possible raccoon) that has gotten into a space under my house. Before I close ...
  A: Short answer is no. There isn't. You have only two options. Trap the animal in accordance to local ...
Hungry Deer that Love Shrubs!1/2/2006
  Q: We have a deer problem! They are eating all our newly planted Arbivitae shrubs (34 planted 10/05) ...
  A: My wildlifedamagecontrol.com site has been sold. The new owner has totally redesigned the site and ...
quick steps, noise in attic12/31/2005
  Q: above the den there is a crawl space, no access, there is not even a hole where I can stick my head ...
  A: Fluttering sounds like birds, but depending on how you hear it could be squirrels. You can visit ...
Critters in the Attic12/28/2005
  Q: We are constantly hearing either birds, squirrels or mice in our attic. My husband has surveyed the ...
  A: Your concern is well founded. Over time mice, squirrels and other rodents can do significant harm to ...
Skunks12/16/2005
  Q: I recently bought a home that has an addition built on that is the living room. The room was built ...
  A: The short answer to your question is No. There is no repellent that will "drive the skunk away". ...
pest management12/11/2005
  Q: What is the intgrated pest management?
  A: Integrated Pest Management is a control theory that seeks to employ a comprehensive strategy to ...
Pest Control12/5/2005
  Q: What is the general procedure for dealing with household pests. Do i catch one and send it someplace ...
  A: For bugs, you should contact a pest control operator. They can be found in the yellow pages under ...
mice11/14/2005
  Q: I am having a problem catching mice with the traps I already have in my pantry and throughout my ...
  A: You didn't mention what bait you were using and the kinds of traps you have been setting. It will ...
Covering Gable Vents10/25/2005
  Q: I want to cover my attic gable vents (wood) to prevent racoons, squirrels, birds or bats from coming ...
  A: The mesh should be flush to the building. I would suggest using galvanized mesh or regular mesh and ...
Mice10/4/2005
  Q: I live in a historic row home (1870 circa) in the city. We have mice..not bad however, they just ...
  A: I have some information on mouse control below. But let me first give you a couple of insights. ...
HELP!9/24/2005
  Q: I'm not sure if you can offer a suggestion about this problem, but it's worth a try. I have a 2005 ...
Squirrels9/20/2005
  Q: This is the first year in many that the squirrels are destroying the azalea's by cutting off growth. ...
  A: Squirrels Cutting Branches You didn't mention what species of squirrels you were referring to so I ...
lawn damage9/14/2005
  Q: I wonder if you can tell me what animal is digging in my lawn and how to get rid of it. I live in ...
  A: Sounds very much like skunks which are grubbing. Squirrels too can do such digging. Would need more ...
mouse in my bbq9/6/2005
  Q: I have a new, big, stainless steal barbeque grill. It has many nooks and crannies in the "cabinet", ...
  A: I am not aware of any research related to cat urine. I seriously doubt that it would have much ...
files control8/25/2005
  Q: how are you i,m aiman from jordan please myhow to control files
  A: but I don't handle bugs. I only deal with wildlife and animals. I would suggest visiting ...
Bats8/22/2005
  Q: Vandassel, Lately my wife and I have not been able to sleep very well because of the sounds of the ...
  A: The short answer is no. There is no magic in this business. I would first want you to be sure that ...
noises in my walls8/16/2005
  Q: Stephen, I have a 105 year-old, brick, semi-detached home in Lansdale, PA, just outside of ...
  A: Well, it sounds like you have raccoons. But I can't be sure because you didn't tell me what color ...
ground moles in my yard7/23/2005
  Q: What is a simple and cheap way to get moles out of my yard?...they are messing up my lawn.
Rabbits eating hosta7/11/2005
  Q: ..We have many rabbits and chipmunks and other assorted critters living in our yard. I have never ...
  A: Information on rabbits is below. Getting chipmunks to move to a different spot is possible, but how ...
crawfish7/8/2005
  Q: I have been living in the same house for thirty years and have always had to deal with crawfish ...
  A: I would love to get some pictures of the damage if you could e-mail them to me. I have never had the ...
Vole Problem6/27/2005
  Q: On 5/9/05 I placed 6 ea. 25 gm. Packets of Contrac Rodenticide close to vole holes in the lawn. ...
  A: Well the first problem is that you seem to have neglected to follow the label's instructions. The ...
Chipmonks or squirrels6/22/2005
  Q: late in the evening we hear either chipmunks or squirrels moving around in the wall that is common ...
  A: Your first task is to figure out what the animal is. It would be foolish to tell you how to control ...
Woodchuck made his home under my shed6/8/2005
  Q: My dog has been barking like crazy next to my outdoor shed and I figured that something must be ...
  A: Woodchuck under deck or building In order to control a woodchuck under a deck/shed/porch etc, you ...
Geese5/25/2005
  Q: I am in the process of building a home in Rochester, NY. Our backyard borders protected wetlands ...
  A: Canada Geese Problems with Canada geese continue to increase due to expanding habitat (humans like ...
pest noise5/23/2005
  Q: I am trying to figure out the noise in my wall. I live on the first floor of a 3 story townhouse. ...
  A: Sounds can be difficult to diagnose as different people "hear" differently. Your situation is even ...
rabbits5/5/2005
  Q: I have this terrible rabbit problem on my property. They devour my flower gardens, destroy any kind ...
  A: I am going to give you my whole spiel. The info on trapping is at the bottom. Rabbits Exclusion: ...
Lawn Pests5/2/2005
  Q: Moles & gophers... particularly moles. I've tried poison, and spraying for the insects they may be ...
Armadillos4/21/2005
  Q: I have a problem with armadillos digging holes close to the foundation of my house. Do you know of ...
  A: Armadillos There are not any federally registered repellents for armadillos at this time, that I am ...
Bird problem4/13/2005
  Q: My wife told me that she was hearing repetitive ďknockingĒ sounds at the front door, often in the ...
  A: I would love to get a photo of the damage and bird if you could send me one. svantassel2@unl.edu ...
mouse bait4/3/2005
  Q: I live in Northern California. I have a mouse problem. I set the traps out at night but they are ...
  A: Controlling Mice Controlling mice requires performing a number of activities in coordinated ...
squirrels3/24/2005
  Q: We have a squirrel on our roof and possibly inside the house. I'm not sure where the nest is but ...
  A: Controlling Gray Squirrels For most homeowners, the easiest way to control gray squirrels is to ...
squirrels3/9/2005
  Q: Stephen squirrels in the attic and soffits. what's the most humane way to convince them to ...
  A: I am assuming you are referring to gray squirrels. I would have recommended a different plan of ...
mole removal2/20/2005
  Q: Hey Stephen, I'm located in south georgia. Over the last year or two I've noticed mole tunnels in ...
bugs + groundhogs2/2/2005
  Q: First of all, thanks for any help you may be able to give. I am getting very annoyed with some ...
  A: Sorry, don't do bugs, just wildlife. Woodchuck under deck In order to control a woodchuck under a ...
moles2/1/2005
  Q: Can you give me any tips on getting rid of a mole that has been in my lawn for along time. I have ...
Best gopher control?1/23/2005
  Q: I used to live across the street from an orange orchard. We had a terrible problem with gophers but ...
  A: I would need more information. Gopher means different things to different people. It could mean ...
mice infestation1/18/2005
  Q: Stephen......is there a way to rid an attic of mice by leaving traps that will force them out of the ...
moles or gophers1/12/2005
  Q: i live in oklahoma on 10 wooded acres. three acres are cleared for living and adornment, but boy do ...
  A: Your first job it to decide what animal you actually have. Moles and your term gopher is I assume ...
Not a question, just a comment on a previous answer1/10/2005
  Q: I read the answer you gave about dealing with mice and I have to say that I don't agree with your ...
  A: I am sorry you don't agree with my answer. But the fact remains cats aren't that effective in mouse ...
flying squirrel12/28/2004
  Q: We've suspected for sometime that we have a squirrel problem. We hear scratching in the angled area ...
  A: Unfortunately, you asked me to recommend someone but you didn't give me a city and state. I would ...
Rodents revenge12/4/2004
  Q: We live in an urban area and park our 1998 Toyota Corolla in front of our house. Three times in the ...
  A: Unfortunately, No. do you have any photos? Measurement of the tooth marks can be helpful in id of ...
Squirrels11/30/2004
  Q: I love my squirrels but I know I cannot let them set up their condos in my attic. When we had our ...
  A: My first question would be, Is poisoning of squirrels even legal in Florida? I would love to know. ...
rodent problem11/30/2004
  Q: I had a rodent, I don't know if it's a mouse, rat or squirrel, make a nest and chew through the plug ...
  A: I am not sure who told you that traps by definition are dangerous, but they are sorely mistaken. ...
Getting Rid of Gophers/Moles11/4/2004
  Q: We have 10 acres of sandy soil. Most of the acerage is used for pasture for 4 horses. I have been ...
  A: Before anything make sure the problem you are complaining of is moles and not pocket gophers or ...
armadillo problem11/1/2004
  Q: Do you have a best way of catching a pest armadillo that is ruining my lawn?
  A: Armadillos If you have armadillos you have three options. First is to fence the area so they can't ...
moles11/1/2004
  Q: I have 2 acres and I am most concerned regarding the moles which seem to be invading close to my ...
mouse control in garage10/31/2004
  Q: Nehlig Hi Stephen, I hope you can help me. I have a problem with my car tires sometimes bringing ...
  A: Well, thank you for your kind words. But let me assure you I am a big fan of traps. If I have ...
moles10/24/2004
  Q: I have a problem with moles in my yard. They are destroying my grass. Is there any way to rid of ...
Mice10/21/2004
  Q: What are some ways to keep mice out of the basement? I found a large dead mouse in our basement.
  A: The answer is simply to secure your building. That means every 1/4 inch wide gap in your home must ...
Moles!!!!10/18/2004
  Q: I have moles destroying my yard. I have used poison pellet food but that just doesn't work. Please ...
Wood Chuck10/3/2004
  Q: I have a wood chuck that has moved in under my concrete patio. He or they have moved a tremendous ...
  A: You need to move quickly before the chuck hibernates. Here is some info below. ...
Little Holes in my yard9/23/2004
  Q: Something has been digging little hole all over my back yard for the past 2 weeks. The holes are ...
  A: Sounds like a skunk grubbing your yard. To control transient skunks, those just walking through or ...
Skunks tearing up new grass9/22/2004
  Q: I recently had a portion of my lwan replaced with new sod. Four days after it was installed I came ...
  A: To control transient skunks, those just walking through or eating up your lawn, you will need a ...
mice in car engine9/15/2004
  Q: How best to keep mice from feeding on my car engine wires. Tks for any help
  A: The only way that I am aware of is to control either 1. the mouse population in your area or 2. ...
squirrels9/7/2004
  Q: Squirrels are digging holes in my lawn to bury nuts. How can I keep them off? I have tried to put ...
  A: Sorry but there is no "easy" solution. burying nuts is what squirrels do. Getting them to stop on ...
Gophers9/5/2004
  Q: and thanks for your time. I'm having a pretty large problem with gophers in my yard. I live in a ...
  A: My first piece of advice is to buy more traps if you are having success with that particular trap ...
Bats in our home8/13/2004
  Q: We just moved into a new (new to us 100years old) home. We have had 4 bats find there way into our ...
  A: You have asked a number of questions. So I have provided a LOT of information here. As for the ...
rodent?8/9/2004
  Q: I believe I have a small rodent in the wall of my home. There is a small hole (only 1/2" to 1" on ...
  A: Do you have rats? or Chipmunks on your property? To control those species visit ...
Mouse contamination on treasured items....8/8/2004
  Q: I realize this question might not be in your area, but thought maybe you would have some ideas ...
  A: Hantavirus For that kind of technical information, plus I am not a doctor, I am going to point you ...
rodent problem7/21/2004
  Q: We have a small kiosk and most of the time rodents near the drainage canals are present everytime we ...
  A: I would need more specific information regarding what kind of rodents you are referring to. Rodents ...
moles7/19/2004
  Q: I've heard several ways (smoke, traps, treat for grubs they feed on) THen I hear reasons each ...
  A: I explain below what you should do. The short answer trapping didn't work for you because you need ...
Animals in the attick7/5/2004
  Q: I believe that we have squirrels and possibly birds in our attic. How can we get them out and ...
  A: You have asked several questions in one here so I will have to make this a long response. First step ...
ground squirrels7/1/2004
  Q: Stephen, We live in an older house (built around 1920) on a slightly sloping lot. We have an old ...
  A: Ground Squirrel Control: You need to make sure that the problem is truly ground squirrels and NOT, ...
mouse problem6/21/2004
  Q: Vantassel, This question may not be in your area, but I hope you might have a suggestion. My aunt ...
  A: The short answer to your first question is NO. There is nothing that will "repel" mice that I am ...
squirrels in attic6/17/2004
  Q: I have squirrels in the attic. I have caught 5 of them using rat traps. Do they travel in packs? ...
  A: First, look on the outside of your house. Check for gaps and openings. You didn't say what kind of ...
Squirrels6/10/2004
  Q: I have a wooded lot with a number of large oak trees. I also enjoy my landscaping and flowers. My ...
  A: Your twelve gauge may not be far from the final solution. However, I would suggest a safer control ...
Getting rid of bats6/2/2004
  Q: I live in a log house on a lake and we have had bats a couple of times in the last few years. Every ...
  A: The short answer is no. More thorough answers to questions that you haven't asked but need to know ...
Tunnels in the Lawn5/26/2004
  Q: I have an acre lot in Northwest Virginia that is wooded at the back 1/4. There have been loose dirt ...
  A: Sounds like moles. Visit http://www.wildlifedamagecontrol.com/solutions.htm click on voles, moles ...
Dead Squirrel and Fly Problem5/19/2004
  Q: I have a fireplace that is never used (fireplace damper is shut). Swarms of flies have recently ...
  A: The flies will cease when the food source is gone and the maggots mature and fly away. Assuming it ...
Mole Problem5/16/2004
  Q: In the past few years, I have noticed a FEW mole holes in my yard and didn't get too concerned about ...
Bat Removal4/30/2004
  Q: How can I rid Bats from a storage barn on my up-scale lake property home.
  A: Bat Exclusion: The best way to rid your house of bats is to exclude them. Essentially this requires ...
raccoon under my porch4/29/2004
  Q: I have a raccoon living under my cement front porch. I have tried everything: A box trap with ...
  A: Sounds like you might have a trap wise raccoon. There is some information below. Read it carefully. ...
nuisance raccoon4/28/2004
  Q: We live in suburban Pittsburgh, and recently discovered that a racoon was living underneath our ...
  A: If trapping didn't work it could be because the raccoon is trap wise. Ie. someone else trapped it ...
Question4/20/2004
  Q: house due to a big shrub near our windows of our house. My question is, what can we do to get rid of ...
  A: I could think of a couple of options: 1. Cut the bush. 2. Are they breaking through the house ...
building own rat trap4/2/2004
  Q: I hope you can help me i am looking for design to build a cheap & effective rat trap. I run an ngo & ...
  A: Ordinary rat traps would be the most cost effective way to go. I find it difficult to think that you ...
prevent bats3/29/2004
  Q: Bangalore,India, 29th March, 2004 Dear sir, Our backyard is frequented by bats during night time. ...
  A: Prevent Bats from Fruit trees You have basically two options: First, remove the food source. ...
squirrels3/29/2004
  Q: I have an old Victorian home, built in 1900. It is a two story with full basement and floored attic. ...
  A: First, check your state laws and see if trapping is legal. If it is then you should trap out the ...
Woodpeckers pecking on my cedar siding3/28/2004
  Q: How can I prevent woodpeckers from pecking holes in my cedar siding?
  A: Woodpeckers are a federally protected bird. You cannot disturb their nest if they have established ...
Gophers3/27/2004
  Q: I live in southern california. For the past several months I have gophers in my backyard. The only ...
  A: I would love to tell you. The problem is what animal are you talking about? I am not being funny ...
Pet Damage on Lawn3/21/2004
  Q: Is there something that can be placed on the grass that is safe for children but will prevent ...
  A: Dogs Marking I am not aware of anything that can be sprayed to prevent marking on the outside of the ...
Skunks3/11/2004
  Q: Every spring, skunks ravage my lawn. I have treated for grubs and am fairly sure I don't have an ...
  A: Transient Skunks To control transient skunks, those just walking through or eating up your lawn, ...
Skunks3/11/2004
lawn damage from animal3/6/2004
  Q: In my lawn out at the farm there are little trails about an inch or inch and one-half wide through ...
  A: During winter snows, voles and mice will burrow under the snow. The damage to your lawn could be ...
repelling dogs and cats in landscaping3/6/2004
  Q: Do you have any advice for keeping dogs and cats out of certain landscaped areas of the yard? We ...
  A: There isn't much I can offer you that will actually work. But here is some information you may find ...
pest control2/21/2004
  Q: We have bats that get into our home from time to time. We have a large 4 floor brick home. I have ...
  A: I have included more information than you asked for. So read carefully. From what you are telling ...
moles12/5/2003
  Q: We live in rural Western Washington about an hour from the Pacific coast. I have two questions. 1. ...
  A: Moles are primarily underground but occassionally they do come above ground. Getting rid of moles ...
Lawn damage11/22/2003
  Q: I live in NW Indiana near Chicago and I have a problem with something tunneling through the lawn in ...
  A: I wish you would send me a picture e-mail address is admin@wildlifedamagecontrol.com but from what ...
Rat control11/21/2003
  Q: Can you advise on best rat contols. Rats from corn fields come to our backyard garden in the fall ...
  A: There is some information below on rat control. You don't make the job easier by refusing to remove ...
deer repellents10/15/2003
  Q: .... Are you familiar with some of the deer repellents that are on the market today? If so, ...
  A: In protecting plants, fencing is the best method. Fences can be electrical or strictly barrier. The ...

All Questions in This Category

Pest Control

Stephen Vantassel

Top Expert on this page