Pests/grubs

Question
Well, despite using both kinds of beneficial nematodes (for both masked chafer and Japanese) in 2012 to keep grub worms disabled, they did damage about 15-20% of our San Augustine lawn in August. What do we do in 2013? I don't like chemicals, but......

Answer
Barb,

Both nematodes and Milky Spore disease are very effective against these beetles but they can be difficult to use correctly and hence are prone to application errors. The standard insecticide treatment for lawns is imidacloprid (Merit) (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/white_grub.html for control options and follow the link to Merit Insecticide info). Merit has been implicated in Colony Collapse in honey bees so be sure to follow label instructions carefully. Post a follow up if you have questions.

Jack DeAngelis

Pests

Jack DeAngelis