Pests/small flying black bugs

Question
Our problem started from infested dry dog food. You could see the
holes in the food.  The bugs were active on the food.  We took
the food back to the store we bought it from. Told them about the
infested food.  The problem is we didn't realize they had started breeding. They seem to like the color (white) and light
areas such as windows. They are in all rooms...we are losing the battle with these bugs. What can I do to help you?

Answer
Lynnwood,

Sounds like dermestid carpet beetles which frequently infest dry pet food as well as other types of dry foods (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpet_beetle.html for a list). The best approach is to locate the source, dispose of whatever shows signs of beetles, clean thoroughly, then treat the cabinets and drawers with a low toxicity dust insecticide. See the page cited above for details.

Jack DeAngelis

Pests

Jack DeAngelis