Pests/Bug crawling along wall in bedroom

Question
Bug pic 1
Bug pic 1  

Bug pic 2
Bug pic 2  
We have noticed recently that there are a bug or two crawling along a wall in our daughter's bedroom above her bed.  We find one or two every day the last few days.  They seem to be crawling up the wall away from the floor.  Could you help us identify the bug so we may get rid of it?

Answer
Patrick,

This is a larva of one of the dermestid carpet beetles, there are several species. See http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpet_beetle.html for pictures of the adults and larvae. There's likely a small infestation in the room, probably in dry food like crackers or cereal or in dry pet food. They are harmless but it is a good idea to find and dispose of the infested food source.

Jack DeAngelis

Pests

Jack DeAngelis