Pests/Chipmunk problem

Our surrounding area around our subdivision seems to be infested with chipmunks.  In the 4 years we have lived here, I have have a trapped with a have heart cage and "relocated" abou 25 chipmunks.  How can we deter them from using our property?

Chipmunks and Yards

Spikes in chipmunk populations are often due to environmental conditions such as mild winter preceded by high mast production or human activity such as bird feeders.  Over the long term, make sure that your bird feeders donít spill food (see how to modify bird feeders at )  Raking up acorns etc. will also help.

Gardens can be protected with fencing but we have found few people willing to fence.  Fencing requires a screen box be placed over the garden and buried at least 6 inches into the soil. Use ľ inch mesh NOT chickenwire.

To reduce the present population the best way to control chipmunks is to trap them. Be sure to check state and local laws to see which control methods are legal in your state. for links to your state. Donít think that translocation of chipmunks is humane. Contrary to popular mythology it can be rather cruel. Visit
To learn how to euthanize them visit
Rather than repeat a lot of information you can print on your own, visit This document is part of the Prevention and Control of Wildlife Damage book which is the ďBibleĒ of wildlife damage control in the U.S.   
Donít bother yourself with those silly ultrasonic devices or other so called repellents. There is no scientific evidence that they work.

After you have reduced the population, donít be surprised if you have to trap again in a few weeks. This is due to chipmunks from surrounding yards dispersing into the chipmunk vacuum you have created. You may have to trap them down again to get to a level tolerable for you.

We are always looking for images (if you can safely take them) of wildlife damage to help us in our educational mission. will give tips on taking ones useful for our needs. We prefer high resolution, (3 mg or higher). Send to  

Please include permission to use the images and where and when the photos were taken. Month/year is fine as is county or city and state.

Disclaimer: As with any activity, remember that animal damage control comes with its own risks and problems which can include but are not limited to legalities, health threats, and personal liabilities. Be sure to follow all state laws governing wildlife and make sure you have a thorough understanding on how to resolve the animal damage complaint. My advice is only as good as your understanding of me and my understanding of your situation. If you have any questions be sure to write back.  

Stephen Vantassel

I was a professional animal damage controller. If you are having problems with squirrels, raccoons, beavers, moles, voles, etc. damaging your property, I can help give you information to resolve that damage. I was an assistant editor for Wildlife Control Technology magazine and have published numerous articles as well as two books in this field.

former Assistant Editor of Wildlife Control Technology magazine, the nation's only exclusive professional magazine for animal damage controllers. I have published two books, the Wildlife Removal Handbook and the Wildlife Damage Inspection Handbook.