Pests/Compost

Question
I had caterpillars in my squash, little green suckers, but have been using an organic spray on with much success. My question is whether or not I should put the parts of the plant that I have cut away because of damage by this pest into my compost bin or will I just be setting my self up for an infestation next year? Thanks, Michelle

Answer
Michelle, the heat from the compost will kill any organisms or bacteria from the cut pieces of squash.  Just be sure to add nitrogen to the pile and turn it over once per week.  Nitrogen can come from grass clippings, fertilizer, or any green matter.  Once composted, it will have no adverse effects on your garden next year.

Good luck, and have a good weekend.

Mike

Pests

Mike Mascio