Pests/Insect attacking apple and cherry trees

Question
Insect Photo 1
Insect Photo 1  

Insect Photo 2
Insect Photo 2  
These little black insects come out at night and strip all the leaves off of my one-year-old apple and cherry trees. What are they and how can I control them? Are there good organic management strategies?

Answer
Landon,

This is a beetle, possibly one of the chafer beetles. Unfortunately this image is too dark to id further (plus I'm not terribly familiar with the beetle fauna of China). If it is available in China a good option would be to spray the leaves with an insecticide containing spinosad, which is generally considered organic (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/spinosad.html for a little background). Sorry I can't be more specific.

Jack DeAngelis

Pests

Jack DeAngelis