Pests/Tiny brown bugs

gross bug
gross bug  
QUESTION: I was sweeping under my fridge and I came across these little bugs. I then saw them in my silverware drawer. I know they are not fleas due to what they look like and they dont jump. I was wondering if you could help me figure out what it is.

ANSWER: Julia,

The image is to blurry to be certain but from your description these may be carpet beetle larvae, see for pictures of the larvae and adult beetles. If you can get a clearer image I'd be glad to take another look. See the page above for info about these beetles and post a follow up if you have questions.

Jack DeAngelis

QUESTION: I ended up pulling my fridge up and found a bunch of these bugs they have a weird worm like larva. I unfortunately could not get a better picture. How do  I prevent taking these with me when I move?

There's no danger of transporting these while moving. They only occur if there is spilled/stored food that they can get to. I suspect there was spilled food such as dry dog food under the fridge and this led to the infestation.

Jack DeAngelis

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects such as aphids and spider mites, insects that bite and sting such as ticks and wasps, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see Fine Gardening magazine

Ph.D. in Entomology (the study of insects)