Pests/Montana house bug

Question
House Bug
House Bug  
In the past two months we have hand hundreds (and hundreds) of these bugs in the house.
Approximately 1/4"
Black
Montana

Answer
Chad,

The image is too small to id completely but this is a true bug (Hemiptera), probably one of the (many) plant-feeding bugs that infest agricultural fields. Many of these species become nuisance pests when they migrate into homes the fall as the fields dry up. This behavior is similar to the much larger box elder bug (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/boxelder.html for more info). Control options are similar as well. Since the bugs are harmless many people opt to just sweep them up when found, generally no treatment is needed.

Jack DeAngelis  

Pests

Jack DeAngelis