Pests/Bed bugs?

QUESTION: Would you be able to identify this? We've seen a few on our couch recently, but we don't have any bite marks or anything.

ANSWER: Michael,

It has the general shape and color of a bed bug but I can't be certain. See for a picture of a bed bug to compare. If you have a university nearby they often have insect id labs, often associated with the biology/zoology departments. Also, if you can get a clearer image I'd be glad to take another look.

Jack DeAngelis

QUESTION: I had found another one about a day or two after and got a pic of that one intact before I flushed it, here's all three pictures I have of what I've been finding: (picture previously sent)

Interesting to note that my mom and I did a thorough inspection of our couches and both beds in the house and found absolutely nothing that would indicate bed bugs. We've vacuumed all the areas and haven't really found anything since and these things were most frequently spotted on the couch more than the beds.

I'm afraid the answer is the same. Has the right shape and color but I can't see enough detail to be certain. In the absence of additional signs (bites or more bugs) I'd say you may have already eliminated them. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Jack DeAngelis

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects such as aphids and spider mites, insects that bite and sting such as ticks and wasps, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see Fine Gardening magazine

Ph.D. in Entomology (the study of insects)