Pests/Crepe myrtle borers

Was searching the internet for answers regarding these strange wood dust threads protruding from the sides of one of my 10 plus year old trees. This tree has three trunks and the trunk with these threads has died over the winter.  What is causing this saw dust threads and what can I do to protect the remaining trunks as they are showing signs of burrowing , too?  We live in central Georgia by the way. Thanks

Sounds like one of the wood boring beetles. Your best option is to contact your county Extension office ( as they will know when to spray for these beetles. A local nursery might have the information as well. Since the timing of these applications will vary it is important to talk with a local experts.

Jack DeAngelis

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects such as aphids and spider mites, insects that bite and sting such as ticks and wasps, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see Fine Gardening magazine

Ph.D. in Entomology (the study of insects)