Pests/Crepe myrtle borers

Question
Was searching the internet for answers regarding these strange wood dust threads protruding from the sides of one of my 10 plus year old trees. This tree has three trunks and the trunk with these threads has died over the winter.  What is causing this saw dust threads and what can I do to protect the remaining trunks as they are showing signs of burrowing , too?  We live in central Georgia by the way. Thanks

Answer
Sounds like one of the wood boring beetles. Your best option is to contact your county Extension office (www.extension.org) as they will know when to spray for these beetles. A local nursery might have the information as well. Since the timing of these applications will vary it is important to talk with a local experts.

Jack DeAngelis

Pests

Jack DeAngelis