Pests/Tiny splinter or sliver-shaped biting insect

Question
I have to disagree with you, Jack DeAngelis, PhD, for I have seen and been bitten by just such an insect in my own yard, numerous times. I feel a small stinging, or irritation while out watering, I look down and clearly see a tiny little sliver-shaped insect, which is brownish-grey in color, and it's obvious that I've found the culprit. You've inspired me to start collecting them and when I do, I'll examine them under magnification and send you a photo if you like.

Answer
Donna,

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with, what you are describing is a thrips and they do indeed bite (but are plant-feeders by nature)??? See http://www.livingwithbugs.com/thrips.html for a picture. The bites are only irritating, not dangerous in anyway.

Jack DeAngelis

Pests

Jack DeAngelis