Pests/Bug Identification

Bug found in a condo apartment
Bug found in a condo a  
Enquiring from Singapore in Southeast Asia. Can you help me identify this bug in found in my bedroom? Singapore is a highly urbanised city located almost at the equator but it is quite green compared to many cities in Asia because of the national endeavour to make this a garden city since 1965. It is also a city very well connected to the world. Hence, we do have our fair shares of bugs and pests like all other cities.

This is a true bug (Hemiptera). It is an immature so a lot of the usual identifying characters are not yet developed. However, given its size and the shape of the head it could be a Reduviidae, or assassin bug. As adults these bugs can inflict a painful bite but this one is too small to pierce human skin.

Jack DeAngelis

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects such as aphids and spider mites, insects that bite and sting such as ticks and wasps, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see Fine Gardening magazine

Ph.D. in Entomology (the study of insects)