Pests/black sesame seed shaped bug casing

Question
Black sesame seed shaped bug
Black sesame seed shap  
Hi Jack!

I found a small brittle casing that is either a molted shell or dead bug around the baseboard of the carpet in the hallway near a bedroom. It's about the shape and size of a sesame seed with no legs or antennae. I'm pretty scared it might be bedbugs (I've been checking the house pretty thoroughly), but I'm not sure what this is. For all I know it might just be a sesame seed.

Hopefully you can help identify this!

Answer
Maria,

Looks like a carpet beetle with the legs drawn in, it may be dead. See http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpet_beetle.html for a picture of one adult beetle, there are several different species. Most of the time the infestation is in stored food, including dry pet food, or food that has spilled. Generally no treatment is needed other than locating the source.

Jack DeAngelis

Pests

Jack DeAngelis