Pests/black sesame seed shaped bug casing

Black sesame seed shaped bug
Black sesame seed shap  
Hi Jack!

I found a small brittle casing that is either a molted shell or dead bug around the baseboard of the carpet in the hallway near a bedroom. It's about the shape and size of a sesame seed with no legs or antennae. I'm pretty scared it might be bedbugs (I've been checking the house pretty thoroughly), but I'm not sure what this is. For all I know it might just be a sesame seed.

Hopefully you can help identify this!

Looks like a carpet beetle with the legs drawn in, it may be dead. See for a picture of one adult beetle, there are several different species. Most of the time the infestation is in stored food, including dry pet food, or food that has spilled. Generally no treatment is needed other than locating the source.

Jack DeAngelis

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects such as aphids and spider mites, insects that bite and sting such as ticks and wasps, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see Fine Gardening magazine

Ph.D. in Entomology (the study of insects)