Pests/what bug is this

Question
bug
bug  
QUESTION: we just moved into our new house and are finding these tiny little bugs every once in a while and have no idea what they are or how to get rid of them.  They are very tiny and hard to kill.  You try to squash them and they just don't want to die.

The attached image is a zoomed in image.

Thanks.

ANSWER: Carol,

This is a beetle but the image is so small I can't see enough detail to id further. However, my guess is they are one of the beetles that infest dry foods, including dry pet foods, such as the drugstore beetle or cigarette beetle. See http://www.livingwithbugs.com/cigarette_drugstore_beetle.html and there's also some information about control on that page as well.

Jack DeAngelis

bug
bug  
QUESTION: here is another image -hope this is better

Answer
The enlargement is still too blurry to see much detail so the id is the same, drugstore or cigarette beetle, or a species close to this. Exact species id is probably not needed since the treatment (locate infestation, clean area, treat cracks and crevices) is the same.

Jack DeAngelis

Pests

Jack DeAngelis