Pet Rats/Help Please Pet Rat

I have a pet rat that i just got two weeks ago and noticed a couple day later that her genital where out, its bin two weeks and they have not went back in, it has came out a bit more and also her back legs are kind of in towards her stomach. i can pick her no problems she is not crying or make any noises and also i think she is losing weight you can feel her bones...Please help i have no idea what's going on...

Hi Linda, this is an emergency!  You should not be writing to me but rushing her to your nearest vet.  If you don't have an exotic pet vet already, search for one in your local directory on online.  If you cannot find an exotic vet, find one that states they work with small animals/pocket pets.  Take her immediately or it might be too late.  Please let me know what happens.  I wish you and your baby the best.

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy

I can answer a variety of questions regarding adoption and care of pet rats throughout their lifetimes, including questions about their health and well being, temperment, diet, bedding, cages, toys, etc. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability in a timely manner and I have an abundant amount of resources to help me to help you with your pet rats. I love rattie pictures, so include pics with your question if you can. You may ask me medical questions, but please be advised that I am not a vet. I may use my resources to answer some medical questions, however, I will need to refer you to your local vet with medical questions that I feel I am not qualified to address.

I have been a huge rat enthusiast for many years. Since becoming a rat owner, I have educated myself in all areas of pet rats from every resource I could find including the internet, books, conversations with local exotic vets, as well as several local rat breeders.

I have a college degree but not in the area of animals. I have obtained my extensive experience and knowlege of pet rats all on my own because in my eyes, pet rats are the most interesting and fascinating creatures you can ever imagine to have as pets. I also am saddened by how mislabeled and misunderstood these amazing and extremely smart animals are by the majority, and my mission in life has become to educate and change as many people's perceptions of rats as I possibly can.