Pet Rats/Clavamox dose for rat

I have a male rat that is 5 years old. He has some toys that i put treats in and he digs them out. I think he rubbed a place on his nose and its swollen up but hasnt leaked yet. It has affected his breathing through his nose. I can pet him and all but i cant pick him up without a fight so i cant get an accurate weight except to say he is a brown rat, on the med-large side and kind of chubby. I have some Clavamox pills in 62.5 mg. I would like to start him on it ASAP but i dont know the dose. With the pills the dose wont be exact anyway.
He is eating and drinking and defecating fine. Urine is colored and smells like a rat so i clean the nest everyday.

I am sure you mean well, but I strongly advise against messing with any medications without a vet's approval.  With rats, accuracy of dosage and length of treatment is critical and you should not guess with weight.  A vet can accurately weight your rat and provide the appropriate dosage for the particular affliction he has.  The vet will need to examine him to determine the problem first and then prescribe the right medication, and it may not be Clavamox.  Whatever he prescribes should be in a liquid form so that accuracy is ensured.  You cannot do that with a pill.  

I know this is not the response you were looking to get from me, but I have your rat's best interest in mind when I give this advice.  I advise caution with prescription medications and recommend you take him to an exotic vet or at least one with experience in treating rats so that you can ensure proper treatment.  Good luck to you and please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy

I can answer a variety of questions regarding adoption and care of pet rats throughout their lifetimes, including questions about their health and well being, temperment, diet, bedding, cages, toys, etc. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability in a timely manner and I have an abundant amount of resources to help me to help you with your pet rats. I love rattie pictures, so include pics with your question if you can. You may ask me medical questions, but please be advised that I am not a vet. I may use my resources to answer some medical questions, however, I will need to refer you to your local vet with medical questions that I feel I am not qualified to address.

I have been a huge rat enthusiast for many years. Since becoming a rat owner, I have educated myself in all areas of pet rats from every resource I could find including the internet, books, conversations with local exotic vets, as well as several local rat breeders.

I have a college degree but not in the area of animals. I have obtained my extensive experience and knowlege of pet rats all on my own because in my eyes, pet rats are the most interesting and fascinating creatures you can ever imagine to have as pets. I also am saddened by how mislabeled and misunderstood these amazing and extremely smart animals are by the majority, and my mission in life has become to educate and change as many people's perceptions of rats as I possibly can.