Pet Rats/Malocclusion

Question
Hi Irene, I asked you a question before about my rat, Mia, and her possible PT.  I'm convinced she does have a PT, but she's doing well on the Prednisolone.  This question is about what I think is a malocclusion that she has.  Her teeth don't meet in the middle and one of her bottom teeth juts out slightly and is a bit overgrown.  I had originally taken her to see the same vet we had gone to about the PT, but when I brought Mia to her, she was so bad (this was about 2 weeks ago and I was convinced she was going to die) from the PT that the vet didn't want to cut the tooth because she would have had to sedate her and that could have potential neurological effects.  Anyway, I took her home and ended up using tiny nail clippers to clip her tooth.  That worked pretty well and I've done this a few more times since it's still too big and hinders her chewing a little bit.  I've given her hard things to grind her teeth on, but that hasn't seemed to work too well.  I don't think I want to take her to another vet since this has been pretty expensive and I've been able to cut her tooth pretty well so far, but I was wondering if you could suggest any better tools I could use to cut it.  I bought a guillotine dog nail clipper but this made me too nervous so I didn't use it.  Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your help and I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Katie

Answer
Hi Katie, I do remember you and helping your poor Mia with the possible PT.  I'm so happy to hear that she is doing better with the medication.  

I've personally never had to tackle the overgrown tooth problem in any of my rats, but from what I understand, an excellent tool to use is a pair of bird toenail scissors.  I'm including a link to a web page from The Rat Report where they explain exactly what to do:
http://www.ratfanclub.org/teeth.html

You are very brave to attempt this yourself, or your Mia must be on the passive side.  My rats would never EVER hold still for me for a second LOL.  

Feel free to write me again if you need help with anything else.

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy