Pet Rats/Rapid hiccups often?

Question
Hi there. I'm a first time rat owner, got my boys 3 months ago, they're about 7 mo old. Since I got them, one of the two, otto, he often gets this kind of rapid hiccup thing when awoken from a nap & held...( Probably he gets it when not held too I just obviously wouldnt notice then). It's like he pulses & his head jerks forward slightly but no noise really. It's quite rapid, it's like hiccups but much much quicker. It lasts a few minutes & then doesn't really happen when he's been up a while. I'd say it happens once every few days. The other rat has never done it that I've seen. Have you heard of this? Thanks. Ps other than that both are very active curious hungry happy boisterous and healthy.

Answer
First I'd like to welcome you to the wonderful world of pet rats!!  You will probably fall head over heels over them if you haven't already.  They are in my opinion the most fascinating and wonderful pet you could have, just as loving and playful as a dog but in a miniature size.

Contrary to popular belief, rats can and do get hiccups.  Not all rats have them, and some rats are prone to having them.  So don't be alarmed.  The rapid jerking and slight sound as you describe it matches what rat hiccups are like.  

Just make sure that the noise subsides after the "spasms" subside.  However, if you continue to hear noises related to his breathing and hear congestion in his chest or nasal passages, it may be more than hiccups, a respiratory infection perhaps, and I would consult a vet.

Hope this is helpful.  Please let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you.  Have fun with your new babies :)  

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy