Pet Rats/My rat's ear

A few days ago; about 3 I would say, I noticed my rats ear was swollen and it is a purplish color, there also looks to be maybe a sore because there is dry blood around it. But his ear is HUGE. I can't seem to tell if he is in pain or not, but it looks like his other is beginning to swell as well.. I'm not sure what to do, if its fluid and to stick a needle in it to release the fluid, but then that seems like a bad idea too...
Please help!

Dear Malaney,

Although a vet knows better than I do, to me it sounds like the blood vessels have burst and the ear is filling with blood. This often goes away by itself, sometimes leaving a disfigurement; but sometimes it must be fixed by a vet. I do not suggest you try to lance it yourself.

That, plus the fact that I am not a vet and it might be something else, means you should absolutely go to the vet. Find a vet who specializes in "exotics" or "pocket pets."

Best of luck!

Pet Rats

Natasha Millikan

Consider me a sub, when no one else is available. NOTE YOU MUST NOT HAVE ONLY ONE RAT. JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP (because there are smarter people than me there!!): ***** ***** Excellent sites: **** **** **** **** **** ****

I have had rats for 3-1/3 years and have researched them extensively. I am a mouse expert with 40 years' experience with mice. The two species are similar and yet also quite different.

My Facebook group is Rats (and Mice) are Awesome.

I have a Bachelor's and two Master's degrees in Linguistics

I am honored that my rats love me!

My Facebook group, Rats are Awesome, serves at the moment 5300 members, and, considering all the huge rescues, probably averages 5 rats per member. That means my clients are about 25,000 rats!!!