Pet Rats/Rat: Lump on Face

QUESTION: Hi Natasha,

I have a female rat, Raisin, who I adopted with her mother from a humane society about a year ago. Her mother, Bijoux, had to be put down due to a mammary tumor. I was feeding Raisin today when I noticed a lump on the side of her face, right on her cheek. It seemed to have popped up overnight. She's still eating I believe, and it is not affecting her mood. Is this an abcess or something more serious?

ANSWER: Dear Anna,

If the lump has popped up overnight, the possibility is very strong that it is just an abscess. Raisin needs to go to the vet to have it lanced and get antibiotics.

Until she can get to the vet, use hot wet compresses on the lump several times a day, to bring it to the surface. if it does open, it may smell absolutely disgusting. This is normal. It should be flushed with saline and cleaned several times a day. But she should probably still have antibiotics. I am not a vet, so I can't make that a definite.

Best of luck to Raisin. I am glad it happened so quickly, because that pretty much means abcess and not tumor.

QUESTION: Thanks for calming me with that answer. I was so afraid it was a tumor, and now its probably an abcess. Do you know how much about it will be to get it lanced and get antibiotics?

That totally depends on where you live. The price here in NYC can be four times as much as other places in the country. But it is a very simple procedure. It should not cost more than a general visit. You just need to call around and ask.

Good luck to her!

Pet Rats

Natasha Millikan

Consider me a sub, when no one else is available. NOTE YOU MUST NOT HAVE ONLY ONE RAT. JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP (because there are smarter people than me there!!): ***** ***** Excellent sites: **** **** **** **** **** ****

I have had rats for 3-1/3 years and have researched them extensively. I am a mouse expert with 40 years' experience with mice. The two species are similar and yet also quite different.

My Facebook group is Rats (and Mice) are Awesome.

I have a Bachelor's and two Master's degrees in Linguistics

I am honored that my rats love me!

My Facebook group, Rats are Awesome, serves at the moment 5300 members, and, considering all the huge rescues, probably averages 5 rats per member. That means my clients are about 25,000 rats!!!