Pet Rats/Tumor/Cyst

Question
Hi, I have a rat that is about 2 1/2 years old.  She is my baby.  Unfortunately she has been growing a tumor or cyst for quite some time now.  It has grown to be about the size of her and is growing out of her arm.  I am a poor college student, so I cannot afford expensive surgery, and I don't feel it's right to put an animal down unless they are in pain.  My question is that even though this mass does not seem to affect her at all (she still runs around, even though it makes it difficult to maneuver, she still eats, she still drinks, and she still gets excited to see me) when would be the time to put her down?  Or is there a less expensive solution than surgery?  Thanks for your help in advance.

Answer
Hi Kacie,
This is no doubt a benign mammary tumor, which are very common in older female rats who aren't spayed. Surgery is the only alternative. I don't suppose you live in northern California, near me? You do not have to euthanize her as long as she is still feeling well. The tumors can get so big the rat can no longer move, without causing the rat much discomfort, so you still have time to spend with her before you have to make the decision to euthanize her. You'll find more info on my website at www.ratfanclub.org on the Rat Info page.
Deb

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun