Pet Rats/Aggressive new mom

My female rat was never extremely outgoing and a few months after I got her she started biting me out of the blue. If i got my finger or my phone near the edge of the cage she would try to get to it to bite it or me. I looked it up and found it she was probably pregnant. She had her babies anytime between 4 to 16 hours ago and she is still that aggressive. How long will this last?

Hi Trevor,
The mom can be aggressive until the babies are weaned, bu usually it starts slacking off when the babies start walking around. The babies need to be handled every day as much as possible to make sure they bond to humans and make cuddly pets, so you will need to take the mom out of the cage every day so you can hold the babies.

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior