Pet Rats/Pituitary tumor pet rat?

Steph wrote at 2012-12-20 11:15:15
Hello, thank you so much for your very informative answer. I had to take Ripper to be put to sleep last night and I didn't find your answer until after. :( I came home from an exam I couldn't miss and he looked so weak and ill. Although I left my boyf to feed him. I dashed him to the vet in the hopes of finding a cure but by the time I got there he was practically lifeless. Just out of interest, he had a lot of dilute urine, lots, do you think this would add up to a pituatry tumor rather than an infection? Just so I don't hate my dad quite so much!

I have three other rats though so I'm sure your info will come in handy. Although hopefully they won't get whatever Ripper had!

Ok, and I apologise to the vet for not believing him about the metacam!

Oh and just a quick one.. My eldest rat, about age 3, is getting hind limb weakness, is it ok to give glucosamine for this?

Thankyou so so much and have a nice Christmas x

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior