You are here:

Pet Rats/Finding a rodent vet


I just recently got 2 baby dumbo rats about 2 weeks ago.  They seem fine until I had one of them out and he seemed to have a large/inflamed area around the base of the tail.  We tried touching it to see if it hurt and he had absolutely no reaction what so ever.  We checked to see if the other rat had the same thing on his tail and he didn't.  Based on what I have told you, is he sick? What should we do?

Dear Emily,

There are a lot of possibilities. The rat should go to a rat vet. He may need antibiotics to fight infection.

Regular dog and cat vets do not know rats. You need a vet who specializes in "exotics" or "pocket pets."

These links may help you to find a vet-- although they may be outdated:

Otherwise just call the vets in your area and ask if they do exotics, or rats in particular.

This can help:

Best of luck and health to the little guy.



Pet Rats

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Natasha Millikan


Consider me a sub, when no one else is available. NOTE YOU MUST NOT HAVE ONLY ONE RAT. JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP (because there are smarter people than me there!!): ***** ***** Excellent sites: **** **** **** **** **** ****


I have had rats for 3-1/3 years and have researched them extensively. I am a mouse expert with 40 years' experience with mice. The two species are similar and yet also quite different.

My Facebook group is Rats (and Mice) are Awesome.

I have a Bachelor's and two Master's degrees in Linguistics

Awards and Honors
I am honored that my rats love me!

Past/Present Clients
My Facebook group, Rats are Awesome, serves at the moment 5300 members, and, considering all the huge rescues, probably averages 5 rats per member. That means my clients are about 25,000 rats!!!

©2017 All rights reserved.