Pet Rats/Labored breathing in my 2 year old rat!

I have a 2 year old male rat named Tiberius. Since I brought him home at 4 months he has always had issues with respiratory infections. Currently he and his cage mate(another 2 year old male, named Drek) are being treated for a respiratory infection with amoxicillin. Tiberius though has been showing labored breathing for weeks now and nothing seems to be helping. The only vet in my area who will even let me in the door with rats keeps saying that his issues are environmental, it's just "the dry winter air" even though these guys are in a perfectly warm house that does not have dry air issues. I have to beg this guy to give me antibiotics for them(only ever get the 10 day dose, can't get 30 days of treatment for them). He's still eating/drinking fine and active. Is there anything I can do at home to help him? Thanks for your help!

Hi Natalie,
The solution is simple. You buy the antibiotics yourself.  See the info below. If amoxi isn't helping, then you want to try doxycycline.

You can get one hundred 100 mg doxycycline capsules mail order for $17.99 from  Click on their eShop page.

To mix doxycycline capsules:

In a small pill bottle, put 12 cc (12 ml) of liquid such as slightly diluted Hersheyís strawberry syrup.  Open and dump in the contents of one 100 mg doxycycline capsule.  Stir well.  The amount for the typical dose of 2.5 mg/lb is 0.3 ml/lb (0.3 cc or 30 units on an insulin syringe) twice a day.  For 5 mg/lb give twice that.  To use an insulin syringe for oral dosing, break off the whole needle assembly.  Be sure to refrigerate the mixture.

If you donít have the proper syringes for dosing, dump the capsule out on small plate and divide the powder into 40 equal piles.  (Divide in half, then in half again, etc.)  Each pile is a dose and can be scraped into soft food.

You can also order doxycycline, from Jedds Pigeon Supplies, and if you do you might consider also getting Baytril (enrofloxacin) which is also a good antibiotic for treating mycoplasma in rats if the doxycycline doesnít work.  When calling, ask for Greg. You can also order it on their website at If ordering online, order item #5002.  It wonít say itís Baytril, as they keep it quiet. It is only legal to buy Baytril over the counter for birds.

You can buy 100 ml of 10% oral generic Baytril from Jedd's Pigeon Supply for $40 plus shipping.  The dose for a 1-lb rat is 0.1 ml, which means that 100 ml is 1000 rat doses!  Very economical.  You need to give it twice a day.  Do not refrigerate the 10% Baytril. I've had the best luck giving it in in 4-6 ml of a product such as strawberry Ensure, Boost or soy baby formula in a baby food jar lid, or in 1/8 teaspoon of the soy baby formula powder, making a paste.  It helps if you put the baby food jar lid on a small magnet to help keep your rat from tipping it over.

Another very good antibiotic to have on hand for rats is amoxicillin.  This is good for secondary infections which can hit them hard and fast and sometimes cause death within 24 hours, so having it on hand means you can start them on it immediately and possibly save their life. I always recommend trying amoxicillin first when a rat first shows signs of being sick, and if it doesnít work, then you can try doxycycline.

You can also get 100 250 mg amoxicillin capsules from Be sure to order CAPSULES.   Amoxicillin is good for all rat owners to have on hand because it is the best treatment for secondary infections which can come on very quickly and severely, killing rats within 12-24 hours without proper treatment.

For dosing you need to know about how much your rat weighs.  The dose is 10 mg/lb twice a day but you can safely go as high as 50 mg/lb.  In most cases (check the package) each amoxicillin capsule contains 250 mg, which is 25  1-lb doses.  

If you have access to small syringes for measuring you can mix the amoxicillin in a liquid.  Dump one capsule out on a plate and see if it is granules or powder.  If granules, grind them to a powder with the back of a spoon. Amoxicillin doesn't taste too bad to most rats, so I suggest making the liquid dose 0.3 ml (30 units on an insulin syringe) per lb.  (Note:  1 cc = 1 ml = 100 units.)  Multiply the volume of the dose by the number of doses in the capsule:  0.3 ml times 25 doses equals 7.5 ml.  So you mix a capsule in 7.5 ml of liquid such as Hawaiian punch concentrate or Hersey's strawberry syrup.  A film canister is about the right size to put it in.  Keep in the refrigerator.  If your rat won't take this voluntarily, you can make the dose 0.1 ml which is too small for them to spit out.  0.1 ml X 25 = 2.5 ml so you mix one capsule with 2.5 ml of tasty liquid.

If you donít have small syringes, you can mix it in food.  Dump a capsule out on a plate.  If it is granular, grind it to a powder.  Divide the powder in half, and half again, etc.  Until you have 24 piles. Since itís hard to divide it more than this, you can give the 1-lb dose to rats who weigh less than a pound.   Itís better to give too much than not enough.  Scrape a pile into a little bit of food such as baby food, mashed avocado, etc.  

Give the dose twice a day.  If it's going to work the symptoms should improve within 2-3 days.  If it does work you need to continue the treatment for at least 2-3 weeks.  If it doesnít work then you need to try a different treatment.  

If this treatment is going to help you should see improvement within 2-3 days.  If the symptoms are all gone within 3 days you should continue the treatment for 3 weeks.  If it takes longer for all the symptoms to go away, give it for 4-8 weeks and maybe longer.  The longer it takes for all the symptoms to go away, the longer you should continue the treatment.  If the symptoms stop improving, or if the amoxicillin doesn't help at all, you will need to try something else.

You will find more info about treating respiratory infections on my website at on the Rat Info page.  I also highly recommend you order my Rat Health Care booklet.  It is only $7 plus $2 shipping (CA residents add 58 cents tax.)  The address is Rat Fan Club, 857 Lindo Lane, Chico CA 95973.  

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior