Pet Rats/Mycobacterium DX from rat to parrot?

I have a 2 year famale rat who has been diagnosed with Myco and is slowing improving on antibiotics. My question, which has been hard to find, is can this type of Myco be transmitted to my parrots? I have 7 parrots of which ARE not housed on the same floor as my pet rat. Thanks for your help.

Dear Pamela,

No, parrots can't get myco from a rat. Birds only get avian myco, which a rat can't carry.

The one thing that birds can probably get from a rat is ringworm (a fungus), which is not species specific, and you can get it too. Of course rabies would be possible, but pet rats do not have rabies (if she had ringworm you would know too-- not to scare you!).

Since I was not aware that parrots get any kind of myco, I just Googled parrots and myco. Someone else had the exact same question once:

No worries.

squeaks n giggles,

Pet Rats

Natasha Millikan

Consider me a sub, when no one else is available. NOTE YOU MUST NOT HAVE ONLY ONE RAT. JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP (because there are smarter people than me there!!): ***** ***** Excellent sites: **** **** **** **** **** ****

I have had rats for 3-1/3 years and have researched them extensively. I am a mouse expert with 40 years' experience with mice. The two species are similar and yet also quite different.

My Facebook group is Rats (and Mice) are Awesome.

I have a Bachelor's and two Master's degrees in Linguistics

I am honored that my rats love me!

My Facebook group, Rats are Awesome, serves at the moment 5300 members, and, considering all the huge rescues, probably averages 5 rats per member. That means my clients are about 25,000 rats!!!