Pet Rats/Pituitary tumor continued

Hi Debbie

Couldn't respond again on that question

I made a mistake, it's not tetracycline, it's Tylosin 0.05 soluble powder. The recommended dose one the bottle is 1/2 level teaspoon to 1 litre of water.

Do you have any suggestions for how I should go about speaking to the vet regarding getting more prednisolone? I have enough for about two weeks but no more than that.

Oh, Tylosin is not so good.  Since you have to get more pred from the vet anyway, ask for some amoxicillin, doxycycline or Baytril instead.

You could refer your vet to the info about pituitary tumors on my website at on the Rat Info page, and if he or she has any questions, they can email me. I have used pred for treating pt in rats for about 20 years. Hopefully your vet will respect my experience.

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior