Pet Rats/Black crusty stuff on rat tail

I have a two year old male rat and he has a bunch of black crusty stuff on his tail.  He seems happy and healthy but I'm not sure what this still is.

Dear Hannah,

It is impossible for me to know what it looks like without a photo. However, it is normal for a rat to develop a dirty, crusty tail. You should help him to clean it. You can use a soft toothbrush and warm, sudsy water. You can use a mild dish soap or baby shampoo. If it is gross, you won't want to do it all at once. When I did it recently, I rubbed the scales backwards carefully in a few spots and it was enough that it irritated him a bit and he cleaned that part of the tail himself. So that's all I did; I washed a small section and pushed the scales back, and he or maybe his brother took care of it, until the tail was clean.

If it is not dirt, send me a photo so I can help you to figure it out.

Pet Rats

Natasha Millikan

Consider me a sub, when no one else is available. NOTE YOU MUST NOT HAVE ONLY ONE RAT. JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP (because there are smarter people than me there!!): ***** ***** Excellent sites: **** **** **** **** **** ****

I have had rats for 3-1/3 years and have researched them extensively. I am a mouse expert with 40 years' experience with mice. The two species are similar and yet also quite different.

My Facebook group is Rats (and Mice) are Awesome.

I have a Bachelor's and two Master's degrees in Linguistics

I am honored that my rats love me!

My Facebook group, Rats are Awesome, serves at the moment 5300 members, and, considering all the huge rescues, probably averages 5 rats per member. That means my clients are about 25,000 rats!!!