Pet Rats/Jenkins eye infection... continued

Question
Jenkins
Jenkins  

Jenkins
Jenkins  
His eye almost looks the same as it initially did, only I know that there is no eye in there anymore. It looks like it should probably be cleaned again.
Should I clean it everyday?
Also, how should I do the dosage for amoxicillin? I have 500 mg capsules and 500 mg tablets of penicillin. We've been to the vet before and they had me dissolve it in a sugar water solution, so I'm not sure. I have an accurate scale though, and he weighs 184 grams (.4056 lbs).
thanks
Melissa

Answer
I think what we see now is a scab formed by the blood that came out after he removed the eye, so I think you should just leave it alone for a while, and I think eventually it will fall off and then you should be able to see the edges of the eyelids. Maybe wait a week and then we'll see if it might need to be soaked. Smell it every day to make sure it doesn't smell infected.

Mix one of the amoxicillin capsules in 15 ml of flavoring, such as Ensure, soy milk, or even regular milk in a pill bottle. Give him 0.2 ml of this mixture twice a day. Store the mixture in the refrigerator. The amoxicillin will not dissolve, but will sink to the bottom. You need to scrape the powder off the bottom of the bottle and stir the mixture well to form a suspension each time before you measure out the dose.  BTW, a ml and a cc are exactly the same. Some syringes are marked in ml and some in cc.  He sure is a small boy. How old is he?
Deb

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun