Pet Rats/rat question

Question
why do i see blood in my rats bedding  its not his pee or poo i checked

Answer
Hi Debbie,
Are you seeing tiny red spots sprayed on the bedding? This is probably porphyrin.

Rats have a red pigment in their tears called porphyrin.  This red discharge is a brownish red color and is frequently mistaken for blood.  When their eyes water, the porphyrin can become caked around the eyes, or as the tears run down into their nose it can come out their nose.  It can also get caked on their hands, and spread onto their fur and ears as they groom themselves.  It can be easily removed from the fur with hydrogen peroxide, but just use plain water around the eyes.  When they sneeze, it can make tiny red spots in their cage.

For more info on rat health, I recommend my booklet Rat Health Care.  You will find ordering information on my website at www.ratfanclub.org on the books page, plus much more.
Deb

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun