Pet Rats/Sick Rat

Question
My rat ghost has been struggling with a pretty bad URI for almost a month. Today after giving him his medication I noticed whenever he put anything in his mouth he instantly tried to drool it out and wipe it on the floor like when they get a bad taste. This includes fresh bottled water. Do you have any idea what it is or what I can do for him?

Answer
It is possible it could be related to the URI but I can't say for sure.  It just started today if I understood correctly.  Try offering him something really tasty and easy to take, like some ice cream he can lick from a spoon or your finger and see if he drools it out also.  If he doesn't, try something sweet but solid, such as a tiny piece of cookie.  If the condition continues tomorrow, I would not hesitate and take him to your vet for an exam.  I hope for the best.  

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy