Pet Rats/Anwen left on her own

My pet rat Anwen has been left on her own after her sister died about a week ago. Poor Anwen has been through the mill, she is 2 and a half years old, has had surgery to remove tumors and surgery to remove one of her eyes. Being partially blind has caused her to become more reserved about everything. Although she is used to me, and will come and play for hours on end, she wont approach anyone she doesn't know. I have had rats for many years now, and I can honestly say that my wee Anwen has the strangest personality of them all!
I don't want to get any more cage mates for her, as I am afraid that it would upset her more. She was quite aggressive with her sister, who was smaller than her, but if I were to get two younger rats, she wouldn't be able to push them around. It's been suggested to me that I find her a new home, but this isn't an option for me, I couldn't trust anyone else with her.
I'm at a loss, I don't think she has long left herself. She has been loosing a bit of weight, the same as all of her sisters did as their time came close, but she is still eating and playing, and seems happy. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi Megan,
Sounds like Anwen is doing pretty good. I don't think you need to get her new roommates. I don't understand why someone would suggest finding her a new home. That just seems stupid.

Is she on any medications?  I recommend putting older rats on doxycycline to keep their mycoplasma under control.

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior