Pet Rats/Pet Rat

Yesterday my pet rat ran under one of my friends feet and got slightly stepped on. Immediately afterwards she was very lethargic and having trouble walking as well as sensitive to light. Today she has slept all day when usually she is very active. I touched her body parts to see if anything was sensitive and it didn't seem like she responded to that very much. I am wondering if she could have a concussion. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My gosh Mary, you must take her to the vet immediately.  I wish I had seen your question sooner.  Concussion...perhaps if your friend stepped on her head, but otherwise, she may have internal injuries if she was stepped on elsewhere.  Is she eating, drinking and pooping normally?  When she walks, does she appear steady or groggy?

I hope that you have a vet who is experienced in treating rats.  If not, any vet will do just as long as you get her in quickly.  My answer is a few days late so you may have already taken her.  Please let me know how she is doing, poor baby.

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy

I can answer a variety of questions regarding adoption and care of pet rats throughout their lifetimes, including questions about their health and well being, temperment, diet, bedding, cages, toys, etc. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability in a timely manner and I have an abundant amount of resources to help me to help you with your pet rats. I love rattie pictures, so include pics with your question if you can. You may ask me medical questions, but please be advised that I am not a vet. I may use my resources to answer some medical questions, however, I will need to refer you to your local vet with medical questions that I feel I am not qualified to address.

I have been a huge rat enthusiast for many years. Since becoming a rat owner, I have educated myself in all areas of pet rats from every resource I could find including the internet, books, conversations with local exotic vets, as well as several local rat breeders.

I have a college degree but not in the area of animals. I have obtained my extensive experience and knowlege of pet rats all on my own because in my eyes, pet rats are the most interesting and fascinating creatures you can ever imagine to have as pets. I also am saddened by how mislabeled and misunderstood these amazing and extremely smart animals are by the majority, and my mission in life has become to educate and change as many people's perceptions of rats as I possibly can.