Pet Rats/My male rat smells..

My male fancy rat smells like cat urine and I am the only one who can smell it! My fiancÚ can't smell it, my parents can't smell it, and my friends cannot smell it either!! It drives me nuts! I recently changed his bedding from carefresh to aspen today and its helped so much! But he still has that slight odor...What do you recommend?

Hi Elizabeth,
Everyone has a different sense of smell, and some are more sensitive than others. It is your rat himself that smells bad to you or his cage? If it is the cage, I recommend trying rabbit food as bedding in the cage, because I find it is one of the best at odor control, better than aspen. If it is the rat who smells, then getting him neutered would reduce the odor.

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior