Pet Rats/My male rat smells..

Question
My male fancy rat smells like cat urine and I am the only one who can smell it! My fiancÚ can't smell it, my parents can't smell it, and my friends cannot smell it either!! It drives me nuts! I recently changed his bedding from carefresh to aspen today and its helped so much! But he still has that slight odor...What do you recommend?

Answer
Hi Elizabeth,
Everyone has a different sense of smell, and some are more sensitive than others. It is your rat himself that smells bad to you or his cage? If it is the cage, I recommend trying rabbit food as bedding in the cage, because I find it is one of the best at odor control, better than aspen. If it is the rat who smells, then getting him neutered would reduce the odor.
Deb

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun