Pet Rats/Is my rat sick?

Question
This is a long one, so I apologize in advance.
I have a two year old rat named Bonnie who lost her only cagemate three weeks ago to inoperable tumors.  They were sisters and very close, and when Sway passed, I gave her a few minutes with her body to help her understand why she would be missing.  Soon after, she started hiding from me in her house and didn't want me to hold her.  I spoke with a breeder and set up an adoption as soon as possible so she wouldn't be lonely.  I purchased a new cage that is much larger than her old cage and already moved her in to get her used to it before the new rats came.  I picked up four new baby girls last Saturday to slowly introduce them to her.  They are currently quarantined in a separate part of the house and so far sem perfectly healthy.

Yesterday I noticed Bonnie was acting a bit more lathargic than usual and was not coming out of her igloo at all.  I picked it up to check on her and she seemed fine, except she appeared to be breathing heavily and squeaked when I tried to pick her up.  She was never the most social rat, so I'm not sure if this is something to be concerned with or if she's simply depressed from being in a new cage and alone.  I plan to take her to the vet this weekend.  Should I take her sooner than that?  Could it just be depression, or is it possibly something worse?

Answer
Jenn-

Its really hard to say. From your description, it could be depression from the loss of her cage mate...or it could be a respiratory issue setting in, possibly due to the new babies (to "properly" quarantine you would technically need to have had the babies in a separate air space, which would mean outside of the house)....or it could just be coincidence that old age is setting in (average lifespan of a rat is about 2-3 years of age). I could recommend having her see a vet, just to be safe. If she is ill, you would not want her getting the babies sick.

I am sorry I don't have a better answer but hope this helped!

Pet Rats

Shawna Laufer