Pet Rats/My pet rat


Natasha Millikan wrote at 2013-02-24 03:26:37
There is also a very common condition of older male rats called HED, or Hind End Degeneration, where their back ends just slowly or even rapidly become paralyzed. This doesn't get better. You just have to give put him in a cage he can't fall in; give him things to do where he doesn't have to be active; and keep him clean-- he will lose the ability to clean his penis and lower abdomen, at the very least. You may need to wash him with a warm washcloth and feel or look closely at his penis at least once a day to remove a wax-like plug that a rat usually removes on his own. You can also help him clean the rest of his fur with a dry toothbrush- he may even love this.  

Pet Rats

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Debbie Ducommun


I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.


I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior

©2017 All rights reserved.