Pet Rats/rat abscessed tooth still swollen on antibiotics

My rat is 15 months old ,is still very sweet & is still eating& drinking.He has been on antibiotics for 2 weeks now and the swelling is not gone down,its at the front just where his little whiskers are
it's one of his front teeth,will this clear up with continued meds ?
he goes back for a recheck on the 25th of this month. I guess what i want to know is ,is he gonna be ok?and he sounds like hes sneezing my vet says he's not sick ,thats its abscess.

Dear Bernie,

The antibiotic isn't working. The rat may also need an anti-inflammatory.

The rat must go back to the vet now, not wait till the 25th. The tooth may need to be extracted.

Do you have a good rat vet? Just checking. Cat and dog vets don't know enough about rats. You need an "exotics" or "pocket pets" vet.

I wish him the very best of luck and health.

Pet Rats

Natasha Millikan

Consider me a sub, when no one else is available. NOTE YOU MUST NOT HAVE ONLY ONE RAT. JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP (because there are smarter people than me there!!): ***** ***** Excellent sites: **** **** **** **** **** ****

I have had rats for 3-1/3 years and have researched them extensively. I am a mouse expert with 40 years' experience with mice. The two species are similar and yet also quite different.

My Facebook group is Rats (and Mice) are Awesome.

I have a Bachelor's and two Master's degrees in Linguistics

I am honored that my rats love me!

My Facebook group, Rats are Awesome, serves at the moment 5300 members, and, considering all the huge rescues, probably averages 5 rats per member. That means my clients are about 25,000 rats!!!