Pet Rats/Sophie and Natelie

Hey Irene,
You might remember me but if you don't that's ok its been a while. Anyway Sophie and Natelie are doing well they have grown quite a bit and are getting along great. They have the odd fight but nothing serious. Recently though Sophie got her toe caught on something and the nail was completely torn off. I put some disinfectent on it to stop infection and made sure the bleeding stopped but now she has one less nail. Will the nail ever grow back? Should I continue to keep an eye on her foot? I'm not sure what to do from this point. I would appreaciate the help so much.

Hi Erin, I actually DO remember you and your girls...I am happy to hear they are getting along well.  You did the right thing to prevent infection and should definately monitor the toe.  If you see any redness, swelling, or oozing pus, then don't hesitate to take her to the vet for antibiotics.  As for whether the nail will grow back, that's actually a good question that I'm not sure of the answer to.  When a human loses a nail, it does grow back, so I would hope it will for Sophie too, but even if it doesn't, she should do just fine with a missing nail.  Rats are extremely resilient.  I've known of rats losing a limb, breaking a limb, losing an eye, etc. and they always bounce back and adjust remarkably, so I don't believe you need to worry about that at all.

Hope to hear from you again if you need any more help with your girls.

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy

I can answer a variety of questions regarding adoption and care of pet rats throughout their lifetimes, including questions about their health and well being, temperment, diet, bedding, cages, toys, etc. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability in a timely manner and I have an abundant amount of resources to help me to help you with your pet rats. I love rattie pictures, so include pics with your question if you can. You may ask me medical questions, but please be advised that I am not a vet. I may use my resources to answer some medical questions, however, I will need to refer you to your local vet with medical questions that I feel I am not qualified to address.

I have been a huge rat enthusiast for many years. Since becoming a rat owner, I have educated myself in all areas of pet rats from every resource I could find including the internet, books, conversations with local exotic vets, as well as several local rat breeders.

I have a college degree but not in the area of animals. I have obtained my extensive experience and knowlege of pet rats all on my own because in my eyes, pet rats are the most interesting and fascinating creatures you can ever imagine to have as pets. I also am saddened by how mislabeled and misunderstood these amazing and extremely smart animals are by the majority, and my mission in life has become to educate and change as many people's perceptions of rats as I possibly can.