Pet Rats/EMERGANCY

Question
Hello! I have a very serious question to ask! My baby rat has blood dried up around her nose! She has a sister. What should I do? Should I take both back? Thanks!

Answer
Dear Jenna-

Thank you for your question.

Rats' mucous is reddish in tint, called porphyrin, and is often mistaken for blood. Porphyrin will be lighter in color, almost an orange-red and dry to a light red, where as blood will be bright red and dry to a dark red to brown.

It is not uncommon to see this red discoloration around the eyes and nose. Excess porphyrin is usually due to stress or illness. The stress could be from the new surroundings. Many rats get what is referred to as "New Home Sneezes". With so many new smells, and often with new litter, rats sometime sneeze for the first couple of days in their new home as they get used to their surroundings. Just being in a new, unfamiliar place could cause some stress which could lead to extra porphyrin.

Illness, such as a respiratory infection, is the other leading cause of porphyrin. Pet store bought rats often have this build up of porphyrin, usually brought on by stress of transportation, living in less than sanitary conditions, and poor to mediocre care. Most rats are carriers of a disease called Mycoplasma(Mycoplasmosis)which is a respiratory infections that is incurable.

With a cotton swab dampened with warm water, gently clean up any red discharge you see. Watch your rat for signs of illness.  Signs of illness would include labored breathing, listlessness, a hunched over appearance, failure to eat or drink, etc.

If your rat displays any of these signs, you will want to take them to a vet immediately as a rats' health can deteriorate quickly. It is your decision as to whether or not you return your rat(s)- depending on where you got them from and what the return policy is on your rat(s). Or if the red discharge you are describing is bright red (dried to deep red/brown)and/or if your rat has suffered a fall, you will want to see a vet right away, as this very well may be blood, usually caused by some type of trauma.

If this is a new rat, give them a day or so to become adjusted to their new surroundings. This means keeping them in a quiet location of the home where they will not be disturbed. As tempting as it is to want to hold and play with new rats right away, it is best to give them a few days to get used to their new homes, as stress free as possible. Keep an eye on the other rat as well for signs of illness and stress as well.

I hope this helps. Remember, when in doubt in any situation, always err on the side of caution and bring them into a vet. Thanks again for your question.  

Pet Rats

Shawna Laufer