Pet Rats/Hairless rat bump on cheek.

Hi. I just recently asked you about a bump on my hairless rats cheek.

I got home today, & the bump it larger. Looks dark in the center & he bleeding from the inside of his mouth! :|

Not sure what to do as its 430 pm. On Friday.

Hi Layne,
Actually, this might be a good sign.  It means it is probably just an abscess and is starting to open. I'm not sure about the blood in the mouth, but maybe he just bit the inside of his cheek. I don't remember if I referred you to the article about abscesses on my website but you should go read it so you know what to expect. on the Rat Info page.

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior