Pet Rats/hooded rat has cut on back from brother

Question
Hello
My male hooded has a cut and missing hair on his back. I believe his brother cut him and I am worried about infection or other serious problem. I was wondering if this is something that a vet needs to treat or if I can just treat it. Thank you

Meghan

Answer
Dear Meghan-

Thank you for your question.

In most situations, small cuts and bites do not require any further assistance from you, the owner. Rats are very clean animals, grooming themselves multiple times throughout their day. I would keep an eye on them for any signs of infection. If redness or swelling, it could be infected. If you notice any hard lump on the bite location, your rat has an abscess. An abscess is a small infection. Often these burst open on their own, leaving a hole in which the infection drains. If this should happen, let me know and I can advise you further.

Thanks! Hope that helped!  

Pet Rats

Shawna Laufer