Pet Rats/Luna

Question
Hello Debbie
I would just like your opinion on something please. The use of dexamethasone in rats. Unfortunately Luna has taken a turn for the worse again and our only option for her sake to help her to breath was to give her dexamethasone we are due to have her third injection today. She is now on a combination of Batril 7.50mg twice a day and Ronaxan (doxycycline) 2.5mg twice a day. The dexamethasone injections have helped her tremendously but I know there could be detrimental affects on the immune system so I am rather concerned about using it long term. At the moment I feel she would have to be put to sleep without it. If we had to use something long term my vet suggested Prednisolone please could you advise this is the last resort now.

Answer
Hi Karen,
I agree with your vet that you want to use prednisolone or prednisone for long-term use. Dexamethasone should be used only for an emergency as it is much stronger. I have found that giving prednisone at a dose of 1 mg/lb twice a day long-term can be very helpful for older rats with chronic respiratory problems. As long as the rat is also on an antibiotic, you do not need to worry about the side effect of suppressing the immune system.

You'll find other medications that can help listed in the Respiratory and Heart Disease article on my website at www.ratfanclub.org on the Rat Info page.
Deb

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun