Pet Rats/Pet Rat Gasping!

Question
Pending
Pending  
My sweet little guy, Kimbo recently, fell victim to a horrible gasping attack and it was rather sudden.  I rushed him to my vet, where they simply nebulized him and gave him shots of prednisone and another that I cannot remember the name.  He was also put on Baytril, twice a day.  He was doing much better for the last three days and now, today, he has begun having breathing trouble again.  Is there something else I should be doing besides Baytril?  He is only a year and a half, and all of this started so suddenly!

Now for another of my rats..
My sweet baby girl, Pending, is 2 years and 3 months old.  3 months ago she started having very labored breathing after playing for short amounts of time. Her breathing was so incredibly bad that I thought I was going to lose her for sure.  You can see a video that I took for my vet of her breathing when it was at it's worst (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJdmWnQQFMw)  Now, these last 3 months have been a battle!  She has been on Doxycyline, then Doxy and Baytril, and now she is on Baytril and Cephalexin.  She is doing better when it comes to her breathing (good days and bad days), but I feel like she is not as active or happy as when she was younger.  Is there anything more that I should be doing to help her?  I want to make it so that she only has good days, with no more breathing troubles!

These rats are my whole world and I am extremely afraid of losing them.  I don't know how I would cope or their cagemates would cope.  There has to be something I can do.

Answer
I'm so sorry to hear about the respiratory issues your babies are having.  Trouble breathing is one of the most distressing feelings rats can have.  As a matter of fact, there are a few things you can do at home but if it becomes extremely serious, you might consider going back to your vet or perhaps seeking out a second opinion from another vet (if possible).  

Rather than try to explain what you can do in my words, I'm going to send you to an excellent web page on The Rat Guide website.  At the very top of this page is a lot of information about respiratory distress and what you should do:  http://ratfanclub.org/firstaid.html

Just to address what you said about your fear of losing them...you are probably aware that the lifespan of a rat is between 2 and 3 years although occasionally, a rat can live until 4 years.  I hate to bring this up to you but Pending is over age 2 and severe respiratory infections can take a big toll on elderly rats.  You didn't say how old Kimbo is but if his respiratory problems are chronic, you may want to discuss with your vet about putting him on Baytril for the rest of his life so he doesn't relapse when meds are completed.

I hope your babies get better soon.  Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy