Pet Rats/Pet rat Patches

Question
Hi, I have a pet rat called Patches. I was wondering as Patches currently has a tumor under her right arm if there is anything or anyone I could bring her to. The problem is that I live in London, United Kingdom.

Is there anything you can do to help me?
Thank you, Alan.

Answer
Hi Alan,

I noticed that Natasha Millikan, one of the other rat experts has already answered your question with several recommendations of vets near you.  I am also part of the Facebook rat groups and there are rat owners from all over the world who gave their input to provide vets in or near London for you.  

I recommend that you interview the various vets and make sure that you select one who has extensive experience in rat surgeries, and has all the special tiny surgical instruments required.  One thing to especially warn you about is the type of surgical closure that the vet uses.  I beg you to not allow external sutures as it is almost guaranteed Patches will chew and pick at them.  Internal sutures are best, or mini staples (kitten sized are ok if the vet does not have rat sized ones)...staples are much less likely to be messed with.  Pain medication post op is critical as if the surgical area causes pain, your rat is more likely to mess with it.  

Please do write back to me if you have any questions at all about either selecting a vet or mammary tumors in general.  I've had much experience with these types of surgeries.  If I don't hear from you, I with Patches all the best.

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy