Pet Rats/Rat introductions

Question
Hello, a few months ago I adopted out a female rat. Her name is Luna and  she is amazing around other people. However, I realized she needed company and I bought another female rat. Luna hates the baby. I think it has to with the fact that she's lived most of her life alone. When the baby tries wrestling with her, she freaks out and attacks the baby. Do you think its because she feels threatened? I'm starting to worry for the safety of the younger rat, because there is blood when she is attacked. She seems to love Luna and she follows her everywhere. Also, they're fine in the cage together but out of the blue, Luna does attack. Since Im there, I break it up. So when Im not there, I have them in different cages. Im scared that if Im not there to break it up, it will result in death or serious injury. The option of getting a third rat is highly unlikely. I would really hate finding the younger rat a new home. Your help is very appreciated Thank you.

Answer
Hi Melissa,
It is a mistake to get one baby to live with an older rat because the baby will drive the older rat crazy, wanting to play all the time. I always recommend getting 2 babies at a time so they have a playmate. Certainly if Luna is drawing blood on the baby you should stop trying to introduce them.
Deb

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun